Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?

anubisgrau

Re: Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #160 on: 11 Oct 2006, 08:11 pm »
just wondering if anyone tried this preamp with active ATC speakers?

a very difficult match for the preamps as they reveal any imprefection. they prefer low impedance (10-50 ohm), low gain (0dB is perfect, can tolerate up to 6 dB), but even a good electric match is not a guarantee you gonna get a full body, good flow, depth and width.

it would be great if there are any users of active ATC who had a chance to try them with TVC

GHM

« Reply #161 on: 11 Oct 2006, 10:26 pm »

a very difficult match for the preamps as they reveal any imprefection. they prefer low impedance (10-50 ohm), low gain (0dB is perfect, can tolerate up to 6 dB), but even a good electric match is not a guarantee you gonna get a full body, good flow, depth and width.

it would be great if there are any users of active ATC who had a chance to try them with TVC

I'm thinking you need to be concerned more with the source than the TVC. As the source is what actually drives the speakers. The input specs of your speakers aren't much different from a separate amplifier input impedance. I don't see the TVC having any problems.

I have no idea what your source is. A separate buffer could be the best approach, if you like the sound of the current source and need the extra voltage/ lower impedance to drive the cables / speakers.

Good listening

NewBuyer

« Reply #162 on: 12 Oct 2006, 09:16 am »
On the frequency response will look into that with the 2k loading. Normally bandwidth is 20khz to 50khz -1db with 1 k as i recall i can rescope it later today with the 2k load.

Yes the opt on the solidstate version will be a good idea. Will look into that

The DAC will be filterless so its receiver and DAC with a passive I/V and then output stage and then OPTS...

Just a thought here... what about a transformer isolated USB input. Perhaps using chip CM101S. The transformer would isolate the USB input from the computer's noisy power supply. Is this possible?

anubisgrau

« Reply #163 on: 12 Oct 2006, 10:41 am »

I'm thinking you need to be concerned more with the source than the TVC. As the source is what actually drives the speakers. The input specs of your speakers aren't much different from a separate amplifier input impedance. I don't see the TVC having any problems.

I have no idea what your source is. A separate buffer could be the best approach, if you like the sound of the current source and need the extra voltage/ lower impedance to drive the cables / speakers.

Good listening

currently it is thule CD150B player, with 4.4V output through balanced outs. i dont know about the impedance.

i am also in trasition towards electrocompaniet ecd-1 DAC, which has max output 3,2V, gain 3,2x(10dB) and impedance 100 ohm.

it should run 3m long balanced cables into active speakers, with <10.000ohm input impedance and 1V sensitivity. my experience with active preamps shows that they prefer the most 10-50ohm impedance and low gain (0 is great, and still very good up to 6dB).

but, i am more curious to see if there are any ATC users out there with TVC preamps. no theory proved perfect in real life with them.

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #164 on: 12 Oct 2006, 02:58 pm »
Guys
Some quick note on how to use the cones

On the cones you don't have to glue them just place them below the tvc

Okay the cones can be used to slightly tune the sound

When the cones are pointing upwards towards the equipment the sound is warmer and fuller body

When the cones are pointing downward the sound is faster and more dynamic

Remember this improvements is not day and night but is subtle and can change the character to your liking

Cheers and have fun with it
Nicholas

bikes and beats

« Reply #165 on: 12 Oct 2006, 05:45 pm »
Why do I need the RCA shorting plugs again? I don't have the preamp yet, just preparing.
Thanks!

wendell

« Reply #166 on: 12 Oct 2006, 05:58 pm »
Just curious....

Has anyone seen the new Maggie from DIyParadise,  it's a bit more than the promitheus but it's autoformer not transformer. What's the difference?

I also saw a PVC by ElectraPrint that I think is transformer based,  just wondering if anyone else has heard of the other models and see how they all differ and compare....

:scratch:

GHM

« Reply #167 on: 12 Oct 2006, 06:23 pm »
"I too hear this high-pitched noise when I select an unused input of the Promitheus TVC. I just tried a pair of RCA shorting plugs on one of the unused inputs - and now when I select that input, it is entirely silent. :)
As these plugs short the RCA positive/ground, I'm guessing the EMI prefers this straight-path to ground (instead of into the transformers) when the input is selected.

Interconnect length is not as critical for a transformer volume control as it is for other passive pre's. This is largely because the TVC's effectively lower the output impedance received from your source, making it much easier to drive subsequent interconnects and presenting a much easier load to your amplifier. This is a consequence of how attenuating transformers operate, and also accounts for why TVC's sound so much better then almost all other passives. There is a very nice FAQ on the promitheusaudio.com site about this."

This is a qoute about the shorting plugs from NewBuyer. They just cap off any potential noise from the other inputs not being used from what I gather... They definitely work.

Just curious....

Has anyone seen the new Maggie from DIyParadise,  it's a bit more than the promitheus but it's autoformer not transformer. What's the difference?

I also saw a PVC by ElectraPrint that I think is transformer based,  just wondering if anyone else has heard of the other models and see how they all differ and compare....

:scratch:

I talked to the designer(Jack) about the PVA . This is what he sent me on the unit. I haven't heard it as yet. Hope this helps. Maybe one of the resident Techies can help you out on the difference between the autoformer and the TVCs.

Passive Preamplifier - No longer an Oxymoron

An introduction into amplification with passive devices.

By  Jack Elliano - Electra-Print Audio Co.

INTRODUCTION

Line amplifiers are most commonly used to increase level of a CD player or phono preamp into the amplifers. Line amps do not have to amplify very much to accomplish this. The average overall gain needed is about four. Normally the job is done with an active device such as a tube with its conventional means to offer a low impedance output to the power amplifiers with standard interconnects.

A not so popular means to increase gain is with the use of a step up transformer plus some sort of a variable gain control. This usually fails due as a resultof the output impedance being too high for the interconnect cable capacity and attenuation of high frequencies. However, step up transformers using a low impedance source signal can offer a usable stepped up impedance with very little affect from interconnect cable capacity.

One saving grace that has become more in popular with music source devices is the very low output impedance of about 50 to 100 ohms.   New computer based, hard drive music delivery systems use a pro audio sound card that develop an extremely linear sound, using standard 50 ohm balanced and unbalanced outputs.

TRANSFORMER DESIGN

One such step up transformer arrangement that will work with op amp outputs must have certain characteristics that will assure full bandwidth, constant load and low distortion.   It's primary winding must have a low DCR (Direct Current Resistance) and enough inductance to react with the low end. This parameter is necessary because the DCR is added to the total impedance and is a loss.

Due to the very low voltage and power at this impedance, a core material must be used that will increase inductance and move fast over zero crossing at low levels. Nickel laminations work very well at these levels and offer very high premeability. This transformer will also need a high coupling, low capacity wind. We tried a few arrangements of step up and settled with a 1 to 8 voltage gain which offered an impedance of 10,000 ohms from 150 ohm source. This worked well with a 10,000 ohm high quality audio taper control as a constant load and a means to vary the gain for the amplifiers. We calculated that 80khz is the -3db point  using a 50pf interconnect from 10,000 ohms source.    This seemed safe enough.     Note that a 400pf interconnect from a 10,000 ohm source at 20khz will give a reactance of 19,000 ohms so a rolloff of about -2db would be measured.    When reactance is equal to source impedance, this is -3db.   

The transformer we built, and used in this circuit, had an overall bandwidth -1db from 6hz to 55khz.  Bandwidth was achieved with 49% nickel core and proper longitudinal balanced windings. The 10K secondary load forced a constant impedance back to the source to operate with. This offered good operational characteristics.   

WHAT WORKS AND WON'T WORK

The input impedance of a common tube amplifier is mostly the value of its input tube grid resistor.   This impedance does not have to be matched, it is not transfering power.   If it is too low, less than 20K, it may lower the total gain of the PVA (Passive Voltage Amplifier, our name for this) output.    The input sensitivity of the amplifer is the most important parameter needed.   Sensitivities of .25 to 1 volt will work good and the higher input levels may not give full power output.
The output impedance of the PVA is the sum of the resulting transformer secondary and  resistance used within the volume control.   
Some music sources may not work with the this PVA design due to there higher output impedances.   One remedy for this is to wind a different ratio step up to offer lower gain levels.   The CD players with cathode follower outputs most likely are about 3000 ohms so the voltage level should be sufficient to drive an attenuator only, to amplifier input.   It would benefit the waveform to pass it through a 1:1 ratio transformer and its nickel core.
These type  transformers can be custom wound to accommadate any ratio needed.  Due to the small size, nickel core and levels involved, a wide bandwidth is always a result.

MEASURING OUTPUT IMPEDANCE

One means to measure output impedance of a CD player, with close results, is to have a test CD with a 1Khz signal, play it and measure the open unloaded, output signal on a good AC voltmeter.    Then add a variable resistance across it, adjust it until the value is half of the open measurement, remove this resistance and measure its resistance with a standard ohmeter.   That value should be very close to the source impedance, at least at 1Khz.

SIMPLE CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

As the circuit diagram shows, the volume control wiper then goes to the output, and if
needed to sub woofer outputs. The 1k resistor between these outputs are to isolate any low pass filter effects from the normal output. The circuit arrangement here assures that the bandwidth will not change, no matter what volume level you use. It will not add or subtract inductance and capacity as other tapped ratio devices will.  The output or source impedance of this device is within 10K or so. It is best to keep the output to the amplifier interconnect capacity, around 50pf. 

If component isolation is necessary due to a ground loop or if a  hum develops while interconnecting unit, the input jacks must be insulated from case.     Remove the ground from the input winding or jack.    Grounds on the output and bass output must be common and cannot be isolated from each other.

LISTENING NOTES

The audible result of this device is very interesting and different. One noticable difference is the increase of amplitude range from low level to high levels as well as increased detail. It can be said that with a nonactive or passive means to develop amplification has an extremely accurate transfer characteristic result. A tube, as many people experience, will add its signature to the sound. Obviously, with no power supply, this design will have no power supply noise residue despite having gain. Normal listening level ranged from 11:00 o'clock to 2:00 o'clock on the control so it has plenty of gain.

The silver secondary version of the transformer sounded the same as the all copper but a slight but noticeable added softness or silky sound. Silver is more sensitive to flux
variations than copper, it may reveal very high number harmonics.

One added comment is that a nickel core low level audio transformer seems to have an interesting resulting sound.   The first thing noticed is a wide swing in dynamic range very different from the original CD player opamp output.   The second is a clean, rich delivery of harmonics of strings and brass.    It was also noted that it will bring out a poorly recorded CD.    We know little at this point as to why these are happening but our theories are piling up.

CONSTRUCTION

The PVA should be built with a steel chassis for best results. Steel will absorb stray magnetic fields from power transformers and chokes in other equipment located nearby. Switching to other inputs can be added to the design in order to accommodate other music sources provided source output impedances are between 50 and 150 ohms. Do not exceed 3 volts input or the nickel core will saturate and distortion will occur at low frequencies.       

PARTS LIST

2 - PVA-3 Electraprint transformer (nickel laminations with copper wire - $51 each) or     
     PVA-3S Electraprint transformer (nickel laminations with silver secondary - $250 each)
1 - 10k audio taper volume pot or equivelant
1 - 7"x5"x2" steel chssis with bottom plate or equivelant
6 - RCA jacks
2 - 1k-1/2 watt resistors

PromitheusAudio

• Promitheusaudio
« Reply #168 on: 13 Oct 2006, 12:31 am »
Actually there is not much difference in sound between the both methods. THe only difference with the TVC is that they offer galvanic isolation that's all.

But when you compare between a TVC and AVC both will sound the same character.

On the shorting plugs, when the tvc selects a channel that it is not used the hot pin is floating and not reference to ground. This way it picks up RF noise and dumps it into the tvc.

AS i wrote to Mike, you don't have to buy shorting plugs but pretty much make them with some rather simple soldering action. Buy some cheap rca plugs(no sonic benefits) , solder the hot pin to ground via a wire or a resistor.

Hence i was asking whether it is usefull to have so many inputs or just stick with 2 inputs.

NewBuyer

« Reply #169 on: 13 Oct 2006, 01:45 am »
Actually there is not much difference in sound between the both methods. THe only difference with the TVC is that they offer galvanic isolation that's all...

Could you please help me understand this idea better?

As I understand it, simply stated, a transformer takes a +/- signal on one set of windings, and magnetically induces that signal across an air-gap onto a physically separated second set of windings. Thus galvanic isolation implies that the +/- signal for the inputs should be completely physically separated (by the transformer air gap) from the +/- signal for the outputs.

But does the Promitheus TVC actually do this?

The reason I ask is that in Greg's picture below, I see a single wire connecting the grounds for all the inputs and outputs together (so definitely not isolated). So ground loop current on the shield of any input cable would thus get directly connected by this wire to the shield of all output cables, with resulting ground loop continuation and voltage drop, etc - and thus no actual galvanic isolation - is this correct?

Steve Eddy

• http://www.q-audio.com
« Reply #170 on: 13 Oct 2006, 02:49 am »
As I understand it, simply stated, a transformer takes a +/- signal on one set of windings, and magnetically induces that signal across an air-gap onto a physically separated second set of windings. Thus galvanic isolation implies that the +/- signal for the inputs should be completely physically separated (by the transformer air gap) from the +/- signal for the outputs.

The reason I ask is that in Greg's picture below, I see a single wire connecting the grounds for all the inputs and outputs together (so definitely not isolated). So ground loop current on the shield of any input cable would thus get directly connected by this wire to the shield of all output cables, with resulting ground loop continuation and voltage drop, etc - and thus no actual galvanic isolation - is this correct?

I can't quite make out from the photo whether the input and output grounds are tied together, but if that indeed is the case, then you're correct, there would be no galvanic isolation between primary and secondary and any interchassis currents would flow through the grounds/shields of the cables with the resulting IR drop.

se

choariwap

« Reply #171 on: 13 Oct 2006, 09:19 pm »
hi nik,

my source puts out 12.28 V, 60 ohm output impedance via the XLR outs.
the power amp has 100K input impedance via the xlr ins.

would this match well with the TVC?

thanks!

Steve Eddy

« Reply #172 on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:29 am »
my source puts out 12.28 V, 60 ohm output impedance via the XLR outs.
the power amp has 100K input impedance via the xlr ins.

Jeeebus! What source do you have that's putting out 12.28 volts? Man, I thought the Art Audio DIO was a flamethrower with its 7 volt output.

se

Steve Eddy

« Reply #173 on: 14 Oct 2006, 01:52 am »
I talked to the designer(Jack) about the PVA . This is what he sent me on the unit. I haven't heard it as yet. Hope this helps.

One thing worth mentioning about the PVA which is not mentioned in the literature or in the AudioXpress article is that its input impedance is in the neighborhood of just 150 ohms.

It uses a 1:8 step-up transformer hitched to a 10k volume pot. Since a transformer reflects impedances at the square of the turns ratio, the input impedance will be 10,000/82, or 156.25 ohms.

Winding resistance will make that a bit higher but not much. So just be sure your source can drive a 150 ohm load. Even if it has a low source impedance, it may not have the current capacity to drive it without choking.

se

choariwap

« Reply #174 on: 14 Oct 2006, 07:30 am »
source is a benchmark dac1 :thumb:

GHM

« Reply #175 on: 14 Oct 2006, 08:37 am »
I talked to the designer(Jack) about the PVA . This is what he sent me on the unit. I haven't heard it as yet. Hope this helps.

One thing worth mentioning about the PVA which is not mentioned in the literature or in the AudioXpress article is that its input impedance is in the neighborhood of just 150 ohms.

It uses a 1:8 step-up transformer hitched to a 10k volume pot. Since a transformer reflects impedances at the square of the turns ratio, the input impedance will be 10,000/82, or 156.25 ohms.

Winding resistance will make that a bit higher but not much. So just be sure your source can drive a 150 ohm load. Even if it has a low source impedance, it may not have the current capacity to drive it without choking.

se

Thanks Steve for the technical insight. I've read your post on Audioasylum with great interest. You definitely know your stuff. :thumb: I know of one person who tried the PVA, but he couldn't get it to work in his system. This could be the reason. I think he uses a K&K TVC now without problem.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2006, 09:06 am by GHM »

NewBuyer

Promitheus TVC passive preamp anyone?
« Reply #176 on: 14 Oct 2006, 09:02 am »

I can't quite make out from the photo whether the input and output grounds are tied together, but if that indeed is the case, then you're correct, there would be no galvanic isolation between primary and secondary and any interchassis currents would flow through the grounds/shields of the cables with the resulting IR drop.

se

Thank you Steve for helping me to understand this better. I now wonder how TVC designers must handle this trade-off between galvanic isolation and EMI/RFI. For it seems that if the input/output grounds were not tied together, then EMI/RFI would dump into the transformers, and contaminate the signal. But if the input/output grounds are tied together, then no galvanic isolation, and thus ground loop opportunities that can also contaminate the signal. Does this reasoning/question seem valid?

Steve Eddy

« Reply #177 on: 14 Oct 2006, 04:52 pm »
source is a benchmark dac1 :thumb:

Ah... Well hell, with that sort of voltage coming out of the DAC, if you had some high sensitivity speakers, you could probably get away with feeding it into a power follower. :)

se

Steve Eddy

« Reply #178 on: 14 Oct 2006, 05:56 pm »
Thanks Steve for the technical insight. I've read your post on Audioasylum with great interest. You definitely know your stuff. :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words. Though don't let that lull you into a false sense of faith. I have been known to have been wrong in the past.  :duh:  :green:

I know of one person who tried the PVA, but he couldn't get it to work in his system. This could be the reason. I think he uses a K&K TVC now without problem.

That could very well have been the reason.

If you don't need the voltage gain, you could just use a 1:1 input trannie like a CineMag CMLI-15/15B and the same 10k pot. You still end up with a somewhat high output impedance (though a bit lower than with the PVA), but your sources will be driving a 10k load rather than 150 ohms.

Personally I've just never been able to bring myself to get on the TVC/AVC bandwagon. In my experience, every transformer performs best when its driving its ideal load. With a TVC/AVC, you essentially have 20 some odd different transformers/autoformers, but they're all driving the same load impedance.

This is well illustrated in the measurements of the Sonic Euphoria PLC which was reviewed in the January, 2006 issue of Stereophile:

This shows the PLC fully open (0dB) driving 1k, 5k, 10k and 100k ohm loads (from bottom to top). You can see that in this position, its ideal load is somewhere between 1k and 5k.

And now look at what goes on at different positions while driving the same load impedance:

I've never been much of a "design by numbers" kind of guy, tending to prefer what sounds best to me than what measures best, but this sort of thing just gives me nightmares. It's rather like being with an otherwise beautiful woman, only she's got a third eye in the middle of her forehead.  :green:

What's worked very well for me for some time now is to use a fixed input transformer with a resistive attenuator for volume control and to provide the proper and constant load for the transformer, coupled to a very simple active buffer.

Until recently I'd been using single-ended buffers, but what I've really been getting good results with lately is a push-pull buffer using a Gilson source follower.

Here's the basic schematic:

There are a couple more JFETs I want to try it with first, and once I get that done I'll do a writeup about it.

Basically it uses a pair of 1:1 input trannies with the primaries wired antiphase parallel and the secondaries in antiphase series. This provides the phase splitting for the push-pull follower as well as a bit of voltage gain. The center tapped choke I'm using now is made from a quadfilar line output transformer with the four windings wired in series. A purpose built center tapped choke would probably be a bit better, but this solution sounds very good.

se

Steve Eddy

« Reply #179 on: 14 Oct 2006, 06:17 pm »
Thank you Steve for helping me to understand this better. I now wonder how TVC designers must handle this trade-off between galvanic isolation and EMI/RFI. For it seems that if the input/output grounds were not tied together, then EMI/RFI would dump into the transformers, and contaminate the signal. But if the input/output grounds are tied together, then no galvanic isolation, and thus ground loop opportunities that can also contaminate the signal. Does this reasoning/question seem valid?

Well, usually high impedance transformers will use a Faraday shield between the primary and secondary windings to help keep RF from coupling across it via the interwinding capacitance. Not sure if the various makers of TVCs are doing this or not.

By the way, Bill Whitlock of Jesnen Transformers wrote a very nice chapter on audio transformers for Glen Ballou's third edition of Handbook for Sound Engineers. Bill sent me a pdf proof copy of it some time back but asked that I not disseminate it publically because he planned to do a spruced up and slightly expanded version which would be made available on Jensen's website.

That was quite a while ago and as of a few weeks ago it still hadn't been posted on the website. Your post prompted me to check again and lo and behold, there it was. Recommended reading for anyone interested in audio transformers.

Audio Transformers - Bill Whitlock Chapter 11

se