Power Cords....Review Link

jkelly

Re: Power Cords....Review Link
« Reply #40 on: 3 Feb 2007, 05:03 pm »
For the heck of it I ordered a Black Sand Cable Violet Z1 cable which arrived yesterday.
I have used it both on the amplifier and the cd player.
I noticed more of an improvement when used with the cd player.

To put it simply, the difference is on the order of having upgraded to a new cd player, DAC or amp.
It is a keeper.

Jeff

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #41 on: 3 Feb 2007, 05:53 pm »
does it matter which power cord that you use on a cd transport? my dac is battery powered, i can use either an element cable red storm digital cable on the transport or a signal cable magic digital or a standard 10 ga. power cord, so does it matter?

fredgarvin

« Reply #42 on: 3 Feb 2007, 07:33 pm »
does it matter which power cord that you use on a cd transport? my dac is battery powered, i can use either an element cable red storm digital cable on the transport or a signal cable magic digital or a standard 10 ga. power cord, so does it matter?
It's often said by folks here that pc's make the most differance with digital sources, dacs and buffers. The only differance I have noted was with a panny digital reciever. Easily heard differances with cords. With other components I have not really noted changes, but I haven't tried many cords, either.

mjosef

« Reply #43 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:00 am »
As I see it science, modern or ancient, is always expanding, always discovering "new" things... 10, 20, 30 years ago some scientists laughed at other scientists who believed in Dark Matter...now its part of the equation.
I hear a lot of scientists constantly saying that though we don't know everything, we do know somethings, and each new discovery opens up the door for even more discoveries.
So when I see someone casting science in a tomb of stone... I think "oh, he's a madman, let him be"

I was not casting science in a tomb of stone, but pointing out what you yourself had mentioned, we don't know everything. And at this point in time, science can not measure transparency, soundstage depth, and subtle harmonic differences in sound, but our ears can. I see someone who is casting doubt on their own ability to listen, and I think, he is a geek, let him be.

Tuche!  :thumb:
Actually I was referring to Lightfire position, didn't see you standing so close by...  :lol:

eico1

« Reply #44 on: 5 Feb 2007, 03:42 am »
How much science does it take to listen to the difference between channel A and channel B from you hi-fi sound card? Record channel A with power cord number 1, then record channel B with power cord number 2, subtract A-B and if no sound comes out that is that. If there is sound to be heard, that is your soundstage etc?

steve

jrebman

« Reply #45 on: 7 Feb 2007, 12:16 am »
My most recent experience with this happened just yesterday.  I had bought a CDP to replace one I traded for my new speakers, and when it arrived I just put it on the rack, plugged in the ICs, and connected the stock power cord -- nothing special to be sure, just your basic black devil hardware store type cord.  I noticed that the mids, especially vocals, were very muffled and veiled, the bass boomy, flabby, and very poorly controlled, and the highs very grainy and sterile.  Just for kicks I pulled out a Mr. Cable Musician PC that I had recently bought used from another AC member, and... very instantly and very unmistakably it was a huge upgrade.  You'd truly have to be deaf to not hear the difference.  Sorry, no science, at least none that is within my grasp, just results... much deeper, tighter bass, vocals clear as a bell and at the proper level in the mix, and noticeably cleaner and more extended highs.

It was such a dramatic improvement that I'm going to keep both cords around so that I can A/B them for the skeptics who venture to stop by and open their minds a bit.  You could not leave my living room after listening to these two cables back to back and still claim that power cords can't possibly make a difference.

I really had no more interest in posting in this thread, but since I just went through this exercise I thought I'd share it with those who already understand this as there is really no point in trying to convince the unconvinceable.

-- Jim

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #46 on: 7 Feb 2007, 03:38 am »
My most recent experience with this happened just yesterday.  I had bought a CDP to replace one I traded for my new speakers, and when it arrived I just put it on the rack, plugged in the ICs, and connected the stock power cord -- nothing special to be sure, just your basic black devil hardware store type cord.  I noticed that the mids, especially vocals, were very muffled and veiled, the bass boomy, flabby, and very poorly controlled, and the highs very grainy and sterile.  Just for kicks I pulled out a Mr. Cable Musician PC that I had recently bought used from another AC member, and... very instantly and very unmistakably it was a huge upgrade.  You'd truly have to be deaf to not hear the difference.  Sorry, no science, at least none that is within my grasp, just results... much deeper, tighter bass, vocals clear as a bell and at the proper level in the mix, and noticeably cleaner and more extended highs.

It was such a dramatic improvement that I'm going to keep both cords around so that I can A/B them for the skeptics who venture to stop by and open their minds a bit.  You could not leave my living room after listening to these two cables back to back and still claim that power cords can't possibly make a difference.

I really had no more interest in posting in this thread, but since I just went through this exercise I thought I'd share it with those who already understand this as there is really no point in trying to convince the unconvinceable.

-- Jim

Thanks Jim.... :thumb:
Doesn't hurt to try new things.....you tried something, you liked what you heard...and it worked for you.....end of story. 8)

Alex_K

« Reply #47 on: 10 Feb 2007, 08:16 pm »
Hello

Power cords in combination with power source or a conditioner can indeed make a big contribution to  the sound quality. Power cord itself can not "clean" the power but it can keep it clean if used with power conditioner. Good shielded cable is good to use even if you do not have a power conditioner as it will, at least, not add more EMI to the system as unshielded cable in open air acts like an antenna.

Double Ugly

« Reply #48 on: 10 Feb 2007, 11:53 pm »
Power cords in combination with power source or a conditioner can indeed make a big contribution to  the sound quality.

Good shielded cable is good to use even if you do not have a power conditioner as it will, at least, not add more EMI to the system as unshielded cable in open air acts like an antenna.

If a conditioner isn't needed, why would one need to be in place for there to be a "big contribution to the sound quality"?

As I've yet to try a conditioner I couldn't hear - to the detriment of the sound, that is - I'm all for good power cords w/ or w/o conditioners, depending on individual needs.  I think you trivialize the improvement that can be realized w/ a good cord when add "even if you do not have a power conditioner" and "at least, not add more EMI"-type caveats to your comments. 

Given my experience, I've concluded I don't need a conditioner in my location.  That, or the conditioners I've tried are crap.  I've gone with the former because my system sounds pretty good to me without one.

And it's cheaper.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2007, 01:07 am by Double Ugly »

NewBuyer

Power Cords....Review Link
« Reply #49 on: 11 Feb 2007, 01:58 am »
...Power cords in combination with power source or a conditioner can indeed make a big contribution to  the sound quality. Power cord itself can not "clean" the power but it can keep it clean if used with power conditioner. Good shielded cable is good to use even if you do not have a power conditioner as it will, at least, not add more EMI to the system as unshielded cable in open air acts like an antenna.

Good info in this post. Thanks Alex_K! :)
What is your opinion of braided power cables? I had a good experience with the cables in this other thread, which really surprised me. I've wondered if the braiding could account for any possible performance improvements?

Alex_K

« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2007, 03:54 am »
Hello Double Ugly

To me it seems that we are talking about the same thing in a different way. In your case the power conditioner was not needed as you are satisfied with your sound.

I had a noticeable clicking & some high pitch sounds coming from my speakers without the power conditioner & shielded cables so I had no choice but to upgrade. All that is gone now so I know from my personal experience that power conditioners & shielded cables can improve the sound quality a lot.

Alex_K

« Reply #51 on: 11 Feb 2007, 04:19 am »
Hello NewBuyer

It is important to know that with different cable constructions [ twisting, shielding in different ways, braiding] what you are really doing is playing with the inductance & capacitance of your cable, in other words cable characteristics.

Knowing that is is possible to see improvements if braided cable is used. It might be that your system likes the characteristics of a braided cable.

Double Ugly

« Reply #52 on: 11 Feb 2007, 06:23 am »
Hello Double Ugly

To me it seems that we are talking about the same thing in a different way. In your case the power conditioner was not needed as you are satisfied with your sound.

I had a noticeable clicking & some high pitch sounds coming from my speakers without the power conditioner & shielded cables so I had no choice but to upgrade. All that is gone now so I know from my personal experience that power conditioners & shielded cables can improve the sound quality a lot.

Hi Alex,

Though it may have seemed otherwise, I really didn't - and don't - take exception with what you said.  Not entirely, anyway.  I do believe the way you chose to describe your experience may give some the impression that getting a power cord is only half the battle, if that.  Clearly that's not always the case, and the intent of my post was to ensure the uninitiated realize there are improvements to be had with a good power cord, sans conditioner. 

That said, I realize the absence of a conditioner may severely limit the effectiveness of even the best power cords in some locations.  I'm blessed to have avoided such issues here, and I suspect others can reap the same performance gains in their systems without having to resort to conditioning.

Though not of any great consequence, the majority of comments and reviews I've read about the conditioners I auditioned indicate they are anything *but* crap, despite my tongue-in-cheek comment to the contrary.

Regards,

-Jim

martinr

« Reply #53 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:05 pm »
One of the best bang for the buck upgrades Ive made in my system was to swap out the stock power cord on the CI audio VAC 1 power supply (power supply for the VDA1 DAC) with a signal cable magic power digital reference cable ($69.00).  I was expecting a subtle improvement at best but soundstaging and inner detail were greatly improved, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall improvement gained from one power cord.  I haven't seen signal cable discussed in this forum and I'm wondering if anyone as A/B'd or has opinions to offer about signal cable power cords?
 aa
Martin

Alex_K

« Reply #54 on: 1 Mar 2007, 01:44 pm »
I think it would be interesting to compare cables from the parameter point of view.
Capacitance & inductance measurements - for instance.

Alex_K