Von Schweikert Speaker and Inconnect Cables

JackD201

Re: Von Schweikert Speaker and Inconnect Cables
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jan 2012, 06:28 am »
I'm pretty certain that the product timeline of the VR line excluding the 33 and 35 in order was

VR-11
VR-4 SR Mk1
VR-7
VR-9
VR-5 SE
VR-4 SR Mk2
VR-4 SR Mk2 limited (Tiger Stripe Ebony of which there are only 6 in the world)
VR-5 Anniversary
VR-4 SR Mk3
VR-9 SE Mk2
VR-4 SR limited signature edition (25 units?)
VR-11 SE Mk2
VR-44 and VR-5 Anniversary Mk2

:)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jan 2012, 02:20 pm »
I dropped out of the upgrade path there for a while, but if my history is correct:

VR-5SE was the first of the new VR-5 models introduced (not to be confused with the old style single floorstanding box VR-5 models)... it ended up being 6 months to a year after the VR-4SR first made its debut.  Both of them used the exact same raw cabinets made in China in 4 veneer choices.  The standard veneer choices were african hazelwood and red cherry.  for $2K MSRP more, you could get African Ebony (my personal favorite) or Sycamore (more maple like light choice).  This was back when the VR-1, VR-2, VR-4jr were all made complete in china and sent via container back to the USA to be distributed.  VSA wanted to keep final assembly (and the intellectual property around their crossovers, etc.) in house for the upper end models starting with VR-4SR and wouldn't have the complete speakers made overseas.  So they got raw cabinets shipped to them with the container loads of the "retail line" VR-1, VR-4jr, etc. and they did final assembly at the factory in CA.

VR-4SR were originally $8K MSRP standard veneer and $10K for upgrade veneer.
VR-5SE was originally $16K MSRP for standard veneer and $18K for upgrade veneer.

The only way they were able to hit those price points was because of the cabinet costs being so low by being made in china.  I think they got quotes of $5K their cost from USA cabinet shops to do the same boxes.  No way you can hit $8K MSRP for the finished speaker when the raw boxes cost the manufacturer $5K...

The VR-5SE had only been out for around a year when the audax aerogel woofer situation came up.  I think the plan was to buy up all the stock of the aerogel woofers and use them on the 5, 7, 9, and 11 models for as long as they could.  They would use a new midrange on the 4SR and call it the MKII or something.  I think the MKII version of the VR-4 came first... then they eventually had to cave and do a new midrange version of the 5SE as well because they didn't have enough stock, or Albert just couldn't stop tinkering and improving the speaker :) and that's where the collaboration with audax came in on the new midrange....

Around this time I backed away from the line for a while.  So I'm a bit blurry on versions from this point.  They were in the process of eliminating the whole retail line of speakers and going back to the core product of upper end 2 channel speakers.  So no more VR-1s, 2s, LCR-15s, 4jrs, etc.  That was one of my core products given that I have the business name "The Home Theater Doctor".  I sold a *lot* of the modestly priced stuff because it was a steal at its price points and you could put together killer complete surround packages with it that also did very good 2 channel sound.  The large two channel speakers didn't sell as briskly for me because of the price points.. so when you stopped the chinese manufacture of VR-1s, etc., so too went the source for the raw cabinets for 4SR and 5SE..... By bringing the cabinet construction back to the USA, the prices had to go up pretty substantially to offset those significantly higher cabinet manufacture costs... and the resulting increases in MSRP prices for VR-4 and VR-5 further pushed them out of the reach of my typical home theater customer.

I know the multi-layer damping technique came along somewhere in this mix as well...So with USA built cabinets, a new midrange driver, and the triple layer cabinet construction, the VR-5SE speaker model was no more....  VR-5 Anniversary was a new edition of the original VR-5SE.  I'm sure there was a transition phase there where there might have been some hybrid models...  But the version 1 of VR-5 Anniversary has been in existence now for a while.

I think the new MKII version of the Anniversary is a small tweak to the design.  From what I've seen posted, the only difference is that instead of using Analysis Plus internal hookup wire from binding posts to crossover boards and crossover boards to drivers, it comes wired with the Delphi wire used in the VSA branded speaker cables.... other than the hookup wire, I don't think there are any other differences...  I'm sure someone will correct me, though if I'm wrong...

Wow doc.  You must be into journaling  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #22 on: 29 Jan 2012, 02:27 pm »
We dealers like Keith (nephilim), Ferdinand  (Tube Newbie), Scott, Jack B, Cor and HT Doc don't need journals. The signing of large checks for the invoices etches these things pretty deep in our memories. Carrying the crates makes them semi-permanent. :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jan 2012, 08:33 pm »
Yeah but....that 80% margin makes it all worthwhile  :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #24 on: 29 Jan 2012, 09:32 pm »
that 80% margin  :thumb:

I WISH!!!!!!!!!   :duh: :duh: :duh: :duh:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neruda

« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2013, 08:21 am »
Hi everybody,
I would like to know if some of you has any experience with the High Fidelity Cables (CT-1 E or U). Currently they do not make them in biwire so they suggest the use of jumpers. Which is your experience, if any, about this ?
Bye

JackD201

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2013, 10:52 am »
I've read very good things about them. They are made by Virtual Dynamics' founder right?

It would have to be a pretty long jumper cable for most VSA speakers. If I'm not mistaken only the Unifield 2 and VR-44 have binding posts that are spaced closely together. The Unifield 1 has a single pair of posts per speaker. Personally I would do two runs. In a pinch I would go to the MT units first then jump them to the bass modules. I used to do this when I used Verbatim cables.

fplanner2000

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2013, 12:23 pm »
Very happy with CT-1 Ultimate ics.  Speaker cables to arrive today (Ultimate Reference).  Interestingly, since my jumpers will also contain a magnetic device, Rick suggests going to the bass unit first, then up to the m/t.  That way the top module will get the strongest dose of this magnetic technology.  Makes sense to me, so that's what we'll do.

The ics have been a total revelation - I'm hoping for even better results from the speaker cables.

BTW Jack - try some of those Stillpoints (Ultra 5) between the upper and lower cabinets of your 9's - you might be very pleasantly surprised.  It made a major difference for the better with my 7's by decoupling the cabinets - speakers now sound SIGNIFICANTLY better. :D

Neruda

« Reply #29 on: 23 May 2013, 12:43 pm »
Hi Fplanner2000,
could you post or send me a picture of your setup of cables as described by you ? I´m interested particularly to the start connection of the jumper and to know where you use spades and where banana connectors.
Thanks

fplanner2000

« Reply #30 on: 23 May 2013, 01:03 pm »
As I said, I don't have the speaker cables yet.  Its not really going to matter what gets connected with bananas or spades - the bottom connectors will be receiving the speaker cables and also be the anchor for the jumpers up to the m/t module.  I'll just go with whatever i get - Rick knows exactly what I'm doing, so I'm sure I'll have the correct connectors.

JackD201

« Reply #31 on: 23 May 2013, 02:07 pm »
Very happy with CT-1 Ultimate ics.  Speaker cables to arrive today (Ultimate Reference).  Interestingly, since my jumpers will also contain a magnetic device, Rick suggests going to the bass unit first, then up to the m/t.  That way the top module will get the strongest dose of this magnetic technology.  Makes sense to me, so that's what we'll do.

The ics have been a total revelation - I'm hoping for even better results from the speaker cables.

BTW Jack - try some of those Stillpoints (Ultra 5) between the upper and lower cabinets of your 9's - you might be very pleasantly surprised.  It made a major difference for the better with my 7's by decoupling the cabinets - speakers now sound SIGNIFICANTLY better. :D

The 9s won't be with me for much longer now Harve.  :wink:

fplanner2000

« Reply #32 on: 23 May 2013, 02:09 pm »
Being replaced by?

JackD201

« Reply #33 on: 23 May 2013, 02:26 pm »
Starts with a V and ends with a 1.  :o

fplanner2000

« Reply #34 on: 23 May 2013, 02:28 pm »
Can I buy a vowel?  or a number? "0"?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #35 on: 23 May 2013, 03:18 pm »
Starts with a V and ends with a 1.  :o

And brother's will be replaced with ____________ (fill in the blank)  :scratch: :thumb:

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 23 May 2013, 03:34 pm »
Can I buy a vowel?  or a number? "0"?

I'll spot you an R  :lol:

fplanner2000

« Reply #37 on: 23 May 2013, 03:52 pm »
Why not just get another pair of 9's and just stack them?  that way, you'll have twice as many tweeters.  You can't ever have enough tweeters.  You also can ever have enough cowbells.

Got a Dinan stage 2 software upgrade for my 550ix (now 500hp, 580 lbs torque), plus some new hot 20" wheels which make the car go fast even when its standing still!

fplanner2000

« Reply #38 on: 23 May 2013, 03:54 pm »
Oh - I forgot - they are also anti-gravity wheels.

fplanner2000

« Reply #39 on: 23 May 2013, 04:45 pm »
Try: