your take on the best guitar picker ever

2bigears

your take on the best guitar picker ever
« on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:36 pm »
:D  please share your top 3, best technical,heavy on the strings,or with soul aspect,who would you green light. Marty Friedman---Dimebag Darrell---Zakk Wylde---Kirk Hammett---Dave Mustaine---Paul Gilbert---Yngwie Malmsteen---Randy Rhoads---Jimmy Hendrix---Jimmy Page,there are others,but think of your fav three players??????

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: your take on the best guitar picker ever
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:40 pm »
Uli Jon Roth, John Sykes, Steve Morse.

All tremendous players, but there are many great players out there.

It's apples and oranges. Different styles, different technique, different formats.

Cheers

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:44 pm »
Just to throw out a few obvious names not on your list, Duane Allman, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy and Lindsey Buckingham. As for my favorite 3, it depends on what type of music I want to listen to on a given day.

2bigears

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:54 pm »
 :D  i had my buddy pick those rock greats for my list.heavy on the rock,but crazy good players.lotsa others for sure.keep them coming!!

mcullinan

« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2007, 03:59 pm »
Jerry Garcia of course.... hes the man when it comes to the pick!
Mike

martinr

« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:07 pm »
Best Technical Jazz - Pat Metheny, Best technical blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Best technical rock - dunno, most innovative rock 35 years ago maybe Eddie Van Halen.
 just my 2c.

- Martin

:icon_lol:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:14 pm »
Guitar Pickers....... :guitar: :guitar:

TRM

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:39 pm »
some good names on here so far. I'll add Charlie Hunter

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:48 pm »
Frank Marino, Pat Travers, Steve Vai.

Cheers

Ray Collins

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:50 pm »
Freddie King....
He laid down many licks that were and still are the foundation of many guitar greats.  Try his Just Pickin' CD with particular attention to Hide Away, San-Ho-Zay, Side Tracked, Sen-sa-Shun,and especially The Stumble.  He has never gotten the credit he earned except amoung guitar players.  Check Eric Clapton's basic licks after listening to a little bit of Freddie.

Ray

2bigears

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2007, 04:56 pm »
 :D Mark K. is a great one.Freddie King..what kind of music does he play???? seen Pat T. play once,he was good. :D

mcullinan

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2007, 05:05 pm »
Guitar Pickers....... :guitar: :guitar:

Hey.. I know Im off subject, but the guy on the right looks like our infamous President George Bush.
Mike

honesthoff

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2007, 05:42 pm »
Another vote for Chester, and I will add Roy Clarke, Doc Watson, and Randy Scruggs as well.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2007, 05:45 pm »
Mike...
Here's Chet...with eye glasses....

Hey.. I know Im off subject, but the guy on the right looks like our infamous President George Bush.
Mike

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 8 Oct 2007, 05:49 pm »

Mike
Yeah, I was about to say the same! Uncanny resemblance.

How about Alan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin, Clive Carroll:

http://www.certifiedguitarplayer.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33

doorman

« Reply #15 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:16 pm »
Once I heard Shawn Lane, Alan Holdsworth, and John McLaughlin the bar was raised considerably.(pour moi, of course)
                                                                                  Don
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2007, 06:27 pm by doorman »

jimdgoulding

« Reply #16 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:18 pm »
This should probably be according to genre.  Pretty hard to say for listeners of a wide range of music.  That being said,  Eric Clapton said about Stevie Ray Vaughn that he had an open account with the bank of creativity (I'm paraphrasing a bit), that he could play for chorus after chorus and just keep playing great notes and ideas.  As an ole Dallas boy (along with Stevie Ray), Freddie King he was a hero.  "I'm Going Down" does it to me everytime.

Grant Green is a great player with wonderful phrasing.  Try "Matador" with Coltrane's rhythm section.  Wes Montgomery kinda put every other jazz player in his shadow during the time both he and Green were recording.  Hey, I think Charlie Byrd can hang!

Segovia, Sabicas, etc.  I think Hendrix had that bank account, too, as did John Coltrane, the best example I know of (it doesn't feel right calling him an example, if you know what I mean).  Back to the topic.  Thanks.

Oh.  And I dig Holdsworth and McLaughlin, too.  Wanna hear Santana pushed to a whole nuther level of creativity- don't say no if you haven't heard this- check out Love, Devotion, Surrender with McLaughlin on Columbia.  Not for weenies.

TRM

« Reply #17 on: 8 Oct 2007, 06:54 pm »
As a St. Louis native I have to give a  :thumb: to Grant Green. I love his funk work after he took a hiatus, really moved him out from behind Wes' shadow.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:18 pm »
My comments above apply to Buddy Guy, too.  I meant to say that goes without saying.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:22 pm »
Both Chet Atkins and Knofler has said that the Norwegian guitar player Oistein Sunde most likely is better than any of them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYJyQ94m2-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPC2KekFOJw&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAyTP5neFiU&mode=related&search=

+++!

He is better... !

Imperial