your take on the best guitar picker ever

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: your take on the best guitar picker ever
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:46 pm »
Pete Townsend, Tony Iommi and Eddie Van Halen. :)

martyo

« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:47 pm »
Jerry

budbrew

« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2007, 07:47 pm »
As many have said, big topic! But I'll throw out two...

Tony Rice
Norman Blake

When you say "pickers" I always think of bluegrass, Americana. That's where these two come from. Both are damn fine pickers!

lazydays

« Reply #23 on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:09 pm »
funny but nobody mentioned Buddy Guy, Les Paul, Wes Montgomery, Junior Brown, B.B. King, Albert King, Joe Pass, John Abercrombie, John Schofield, Herb Ellis, Pat Martino, and George Benson.
gary

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #24 on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:22 pm »
I'm not sure if you have even heard of this dude, but he's from Norway... (There Imperial goes again, bragging about a norwegian...)
Aaaaaiiight!

He is a guitarist in the group TNT..
His name is Ronni Le Tekro. And he invented a guitar tech... in the heavy metal style.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAyTP5neFiU&mode=related&search=

This dude is also really superb!!!

Check out my number of posts...  :icon_twisted:

Imperial

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:23 pm »
Lazy D-  Did, too.  Some.  In fact, let me announce that BB's Original Greatest Hits has been released on Virgin and includes the first BB album I ever owned when his singing was pure honey and his guitar playing had some bite. Listen to "Ten Long Years" and you'll know why he had a large female fan base, too.  Damn, Blues Boy could croon!  Shout out for Pat Martino.
« Last Edit: 8 Oct 2007, 08:47 pm by jimdgoulding »

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #26 on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:31 pm »
...your take on the best guitar picker ever ...
No matter how good a guitarist is....there's always another guitarist thats even better.... :guitar:

Another really excellent picker....Tommy Emmanuel....

Ray Collins

« Reply #27 on: 8 Oct 2007, 08:37 pm »
Django Reinhardt

2bigears

« Reply #28 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:06 pm »
 :D just watched a little Steve Vai,that dude can play the stuff.Roger Waters can walk the walk as Pulse is one of the best DVD's in my small collection. :D

Scott F.

« Reply #29 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:17 pm »
Best Technical Jazz - Pat Metheny, Best technical blues - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Best technical rock - dunno, most innovative rock 35 years ago maybe Eddie Van Halen.

I've got to agree with Martin on Pat Metheny and SRV all the way.

Rock is really tough. there are so many great guitarists to pick from. Ones nobody has mentioned yet that would get my nod would be Jeff Beck who after you see him play understand why he is held in such high regard by other musicians. Another would be Derek Trucks. While not the speed demon of Steve Vai or Yingwei (or how ever you spell it), that boy has got some serious licks. I've seen him a number of times and I am more and more impressed each time I see and hear him. When it comes to pure tone, Eric Johnson is pretty darned good too.

Classical is another tough one. While we always have Segovia and Williams, Angel Romero (for a modern day artist) is really, really good.

On the country side, Vince Gill is one helluva picker believe it or not. Albert Lee gets it done pretty well too.

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #30 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:24 pm »
Buckethead,
One of the greatest (and weirdest) living guitarists alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaCErlW-3p8

This was done when he was 18 or 19.  Weird... give it a bit, he starts 'really' playing a little ways in.  At about 4:00 he busts out some country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4q3p_o8A6g&mode=related&search=

This one, at 1:40 onward is probably the most insane picking there is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veFLvVMTCBA

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you did say picking...

/A

s_cervin

« Reply #31 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:41 pm »
:D just watched a little Steve Vai,that dude can play the stuff.Roger Waters can walk the walk as Pulse is one of the best DVD's in my small collection. :D

You mean David Gilmour?

Warren Hanyes

2bigears

« Reply #32 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:45 pm »
 :D thanks Warren, David is the man i was thinkin' of :duh:.....what is the story with Buckethead???? :o

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #33 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:56 pm »
.what is the story with Buckethead???? :o

Weirdo virtuoso.  As a shredder, he's also got some of the most feeling i've heard in a 'rock' guitarist.  The videos i shared have more of his shredding, but others show his incredible passion and emotion.  The guy is outright insane.   Decent writeup here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

Apparently, one day, he put a KFC bucket on his head and saw himself in the mirror and said  "That's Buckethead right there"  and forevermore has only played behind the mask/bucket.

There's a pretty funny interview with Ozzy, as he tried to recruit Buckethead:

"Ozzy Osbourne: "I tried out that Buckethead guy. I met with him and asked him to work with me but only if he got rid of the f$%king bucket. So I came back a bit later and he's wearing this green f%$king Martian's-hat thing. I said, 'Look, just be yourself!' He told me his name was Brian, so I said that's what I'd call him. He says, 'No one calls me Brian except my mother.' So I said, 'Pretend I'm your mum then!' I haven't even got out of the room and I'm already playing f#$king mind games with the guy. What happens if one day he's gone and there's a note saying, 'I've been beamed up?' [Laughs] Don't get me wrong, he's a great player. He plays like a motherfu$ker!"

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #34 on: 8 Oct 2007, 09:57 pm »
....what is the story with Buckethead???? :o
Pat....He use to be the unknown comic....

Just kidding.... :lol:
He's got some great Cd's.....check them out....link...

chadh

« Reply #35 on: 8 Oct 2007, 10:23 pm »
I think the coolest thing about this thread is that it proves that very few of us can count.  I'm as guilty as the next guy, as my list of three contains at least five guitarists (and probably should include many more).

One of them (previously mentioned) is John McLaughlin.  The only one not mentioned to this point is Paco de Lucia.  I should make a special mention, then, of the albums "Friday Night in San Francisco" and "The Guitar Trio", which feature those two guys along with another pretty decent player, Al Di Meola.

Chad

slow_down

« Reply #36 on: 8 Oct 2007, 10:43 pm »
Four pages in and no mention of Richard Thompson?  You all should be deeply ashamed of yourselves :)  He very well could be the greatest guitar player in the world, and as a side benefit, he is also a tremendous songwriter and just simply beautiful musician overall.

ctviggen

« Reply #37 on: 8 Oct 2007, 10:48 pm »
Is this thread about guitar pickers or guitarists?  For instance, I think SRV is an outstanding guitarist, but I don't think he's a picker (not in the sense that Chet Atkins was a picker). 

chadh

« Reply #38 on: 8 Oct 2007, 10:50 pm »
.what is the story with Buckethead???? :o

Weirdo virtuoso.  As a shredder, he's also got some of the most feeling i've heard in a 'rock' guitarist.  The videos i shared have more of his shredding, but others show his incredible passion and emotion.  The guy is outright insane.   Decent writeup here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckethead

That wikipedia entry says he collaborated with Viggo Mortensen (i.e. Aragorn from Lord of the Rings).  That sounded weird, so I checked.  Wikipedia offered this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viggo_Mortensen

Mortensen experiments with his poetry and music by mixing the two art forms. He has collaborated with guitar virtuoso Buckethead on 6 albums. His discography includes: Don't Tell Me What to Do, Intelligence Failure, One Less Thing to Worry About, One Man's Meat, Live at Beyond Baroque, The Other Parade, This That and The Other, Live at Beyond Baroque 2, Pandemoniumfromamerica, and Please Tomorrow.

His latest CD/DVD, 3 Fools 4 April, documents the poetry readings given on April Fool's Day 2006 at the Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center in Venice, California.

His voice is featured on The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King soundtrack — he sings "Aragorn's Coronation," the words by Tolkien but the music composed by Mortensen himself. His poems are written in English, Danish, and Spanish

ANd now, back to your scheduled broadcast.

Chad

p.s. I can't bring myself to be ashamed for not mentioning Richard Thompson.  So I'll just be ashamed for not knowing who he is.  Is he one of the Thompson Twins?

2bigears

« Reply #39 on: 8 Oct 2007, 11:04 pm »
:D  me and my stupid lawyer friend got pretty drunk last weekend and put on some of SRV's best,man we near hit the ceiling rockin' to that stuff.he was soooo good,wonder how much better he would be today???? unthinkable.   hey Chris,what's new in NY???? still kinda warm down there.??