M3'S WITH AND WITHOUT DIRAC IN MY ROOM AT MLP

dallaire1

M3'S WITH AND WITHOUT DIRAC IN MY ROOM AT MLP
« on: 27 Oct 2021, 11:21 am »
Well I too have been using REW in the past few weeks to get familiar with my room and start the treatment process. This is where I'm at so far with just (4) 2X4 by 2 inch thick panels of 703 on back wall. My goal is to get Dirac out of the process after all is done. just these 4 panels at back wall took a lot of mid band energy out of the response. Must say, as you can tell from the corrected curve for MY room, it is a HUGE sonic improvement.

This has noting to do with the M3's being this way, or that way regarding fidelity. This is, as you know the sonic signature of my listening space.

Jon L

Re: M3'S WITH AND WITHOUT DIRAC IN MY ROOM AT MLP
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2021, 04:14 pm »
I use some 2'x4'x2" and 4" panels.  Even after the 2x4x2 panels, your room looks to have at least 15dB peak in sub bass compared to midrange.  Are you planning to introduce some bass traps or EQ cut?

dallaire1

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2021, 04:41 pm »
I have the sub turned up to much. I forget to post, this is with a sub. I am actually gathering materials now for front corner floor to ceiling traps, going with diffusion on the front wall. Lots to still do yet. Definitely a labor of love.

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2021, 06:14 pm »
Well I too have been using REW in the past few weeks to get familiar with my room and start the treatment process. This is where I'm at so far with just (4) 2X4 by 2 inch thick panels of 703 on back wall. My goal is to get Dirac out of the process after all is done. just these 4 panels at back wall took a lot of mid band energy out of the response. Must say, as you can tell from the corrected curve for MY room, it is a HUGE sonic improvement.

This has noting to do with the M3's being this way, or that way regarding fidelity. This is, as you know the sonic signature of my listening space.

I have the M3's as well (no subs) with 7 2x4 panels a mix of 2" and 4" as well as 4 GIK diffusers. I think my room sounds pretty good but was going to try REW with the mic to get some measurements. Having never done this before and not really knowing graphs. Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this and what to look for? I downloaded the software and am awaiting the mic. Do I run test tones? Or do I play music?  I appreciate any help you all can give me.
Thanks,
Rene

dallaire1

« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2021, 08:51 pm »
If you're not familiar with REW it can seem a little daunting at first. I would really suggest watching a few YouTube videos on getting everything set up in REW, there are several videos available on the subject, some better than others. The frequency response graph or magnitude is wonderful, but there are many other bells and whistles that the program has that is invaluable for treating your room. I'm using the UMIK 1 Mic.

Tangram

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:11 pm »
I have the M3's as well (no subs) with 7 2x4 panels a mix of 2" and 4" as well as 4 GIK diffusers. I think my room sounds pretty good but was going to try REW with the mic to get some measurements. Having never done this before and not really knowing graphs. Can anyone give me an idea of how to do this and what to look for? I downloaded the software and am awaiting the mic. Do I run test tones? Or do I play music?  I appreciate any help you all can give me.
Thanks,
Rene

REW is a powerful tool but yes, make sure you have a look at a few tutorials. There is a built in test tone that will do a sweep of the frequency response range you set. Make sure that the microphone calibration file is the correct one. There is one for the mic upright and one horizontal. Have the microphone set up exactly where your head is when you listen. Off by a foot or two can have a big impact on the responses you record.  You will also need to make a decision on smoothing the FR curves, because without smoothing you can't use them much. But the smoothing can make the response better than it really is if you aren't careful. If you are like most of us, you will get an annoying peak where you excite the resonant room frequency. 

I have found that REW is most useful when you are tuning subs that have DSP. You may get frustrated by how little the responses change when you are only tuning with treatments. Also, don't forget to play around with your listening position when you are trying to smooth out the curves. You could be sitting in a bass node.

As many point out, a ruler flat curve may not be to your liking because our ears don't treat each frequency equally.
Finally, REW may highlight a peak that then you "tune into" and can't "not hear". For me, that is bass guitar. I've ordered a tone control from Schitt to play around and see if I can pull that down a bit. Ultimately, the best response is the one where nothing shouts at you.

You may find that the waterfall plots are more useful in fine tuning your room.

dallaire1

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:33 pm »
Solid advice Tangram :thumb: May I suggest also checking a series of YouTube videos on acoustics, l have been fascinated with the subjects of room acoustics for years. I can sit and look at data all night ! Wife thinks I've lost it at times  :scratch: check out Geoff Martin on YouTube if you can. He is an amazing acoustician that has props, anechoic chambers, etc. in his videos. The first one may bore you to tears but he builds upon them as he goes. He strictly teaches, not selling any products. There are others as well but Geoff has an interesting way with demonstration and explanation. 

dallaire1

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2021, 09:48 pm »
Sorry guys, if you really want the "front to back" on acoustics, get yourself a copy of F. Altons Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics. I think it may be in its 7th addition by now. I have 1 and 6, almost identical.

dallaire1

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2021, 10:09 pm »
For those that think things are a bit bright, again this is what my space is doing to the "entire system" this has nothing to do with the speaker itself. Just want to make that totally clear. You can clearly see the reduction in the high's. I only have 5 feet behind my MLP and rear wall unfortunately. This has literally brought down the "perceived" level of the tweeters in a good way. I truly believe the best time and money one can spend is on acoustics, after all our systems are playing our rooms...