New- VMPS larger sub

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Re: New- VMPS larger sub
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:42 am »
Any word? I am waiting for a call from VMPS with a tracking number...

Construct

« Reply #21 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:45 am »
Any word? I am waiting for a call from VMPS with a tracking number...
Amp shipped, I'll have it wed, sub... unconfirmed, I am pinging John "Bioforce"  Casler from the highly regarded Summit Audio to find out...

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jul 2010, 03:56 am »
My amp arrives tomorrow and I will call VMPS again tomorrow

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:47 am »
The 12" sub kits in the LSW cabinets shipped today, should arrive end of the week. 

Construct

« Reply #24 on: 13 Jul 2010, 04:51 am »
The 12" sub kits in the LSW cabinets shipped today, should arrive end of the week.
Ok, what about the 15"  light oak new larger sub with the megawoofer?  :D

Brian Cheney

« Reply #25 on: 13 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm »
Your sub arrives tomorrow.

When you get your amp please notice the "EQ" section which should be used to notch out the floor-to-ceiling room mode that does not yield to placement or other remedies.

Measure your ceiling height, which will tell you what mode frequency to cut.  Using a Q=0.25 cut the following frequencies by 3 to 4 dB:

8ft ceiling 71Hz
9ft ceiling 63Hz
10ft ceiling 56Hz

Also be sure to do "putty pinching" as per the instructions here.  This will trim system Q to your equipment, speaker wire, and associated equipment.  A fingernail full of putty at a time removed from the center of the PR is all you want.  Go slowly.

If your ceiling is taller than 10 ft simply divide the number 565 by its measured maximum height, then cut that frequency.
Example: 12ft ceiling = 47Hz.

Construct

« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2010, 03:58 am »
Your sub arrives tomorrow.

When you get your amp please notice the "EQ" section which should be used to notch out the floor-to-ceiling room mode that does not yield to placement or other remedies.

Measure your ceiling height, which will tell you what mode frequency to cut.  Using a Q=0.25 cut the following frequencies by 3 to 4 dB:

8ft ceiling 71Hz
9ft ceiling 63Hz
10ft ceiling 56Hz

Also be sure to do "putty pinching" as per the instructions here.  This will trim system Q to your equipment, speaker wire, and associated equipment.  A fingernail full of putty at a time removed from the center of the PR is all you want.  Go slowly.

If your ceiling is taller than 10 ft simply divide the number 565 by its measured maximum height, then cut that frequency.
Example: 12ft ceiling = 47Hz.
Outstanding!   John did return my e-mail (I can never tell about you audio types-could have been out of town hawking wares or something).  I told him I felt like squealing with glee like a teenager watching a twilight movie.  I think I have 10ft ceilings in my listening room, but I will re-measure and set up accordingly. 

Construct

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2010, 01:02 pm »
...staring out the blinds...awaiting that white delivery van with the FEDEX logo.  Just because it is my day off, fedex won't show until 5:55pm.  It is inevitable that when I am at work, they show up at 10 am and leave a tag forcing me to go pick stuff up at the hub.  We'll see...

Brian Cheney

« Reply #28 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:17 pm »
Carrier is UPS.  There are two boxes, as we ship the base separately.  Attach the base with the enclosed woodscrews, opening in the front.

Construct

« Reply #29 on: 14 Jul 2010, 06:22 pm »
Carrier is UPS.  There are two boxes, as we ship the base separately.  Attach the base with the enclosed woodscrews, opening in the front.
oh ok, John gave me the fedex tracking number for the amp.  I must have assumed that was the carrier of choice for both. I guess I am also waiting to see what brown will do for me.

Construct

« Reply #30 on: 14 Jul 2010, 07:23 pm »
Der verstarker has arrived...just waiting on the sub.
The amp is Dayton audio SA1000.  It's one of the few sub amps I can think of that are both a reasonable price and class A/B.  http://www.daytonaudio.com/audio/audio_amps_sub.html
Ironic, because I have built two dayton kit subs, and I wanted to move up to VMPS.  The plate amps in the dayton subs are class G (500w for my 12")  and class d (1000w for my 15").  Both are decent subs for the money, and considering the 15" is 90% HT, it's fine.  The dayton subs however, do not have the definition/refinement of higher quality audio subs.  They are superior to the HT dreck out there that glob the bass from 40-80hz with no significant energy in the 20's.   The dayton subs are a worthy investment for HT/casual music, but not quite there for critical listening.

Construct

« Reply #31 on: 14 Jul 2010, 09:40 pm »
UPS pulls up at 2:30.  Yay!  My sub is here! 
No...it isn't.  It's...only...the...frame...for...the...ba se.... :(

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #32 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:29 am »
Mine are rescheduled for Monday - guess I would rather work from home Monday

Construct

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:58 am »
Mine are rescheduled for Monday - guess I would rather work from home Monday
That sucks... I don't get it. All the way to monday from today?  Mine was to be delivered today, maybe tomorrow for the actual sub?  I don't have a tracking # so I can't follow it right now.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:23 am »
That sucks... I don't get it. All the way to monday from today?  Mine was to be delivered today, maybe tomorrow for the actual sub?  I don't have a tracking # so I can't follow it right now.

I think they were originally Friday

Construct

« Reply #35 on: 15 Jul 2010, 03:53 am »
I think they were originally Friday
That is why I favor FedEx.  UPS, under normal circumstances will not deliver Saturday.  Not getting something on Friday means an automatic 3 day wait.  FedEx has dropped stuff of to me on Saturdays many times for standard orders.

Housteau

« Reply #36 on: 15 Jul 2010, 11:33 am »
I think I have 10ft ceilings in my listening room, but I will re-measure and set up accordingly.

Be sure to take frequency measurements as well for yourself.  Depending on sub placement the largest bass hump in your room may not be the floor to ceiling dimension, and you cannot assume that the math will point you to the correct frequency problem spot either.  These formulas work in solid concrete rooms and need to be adjusted for standard stud type construction.

Construct

« Reply #37 on: 15 Jul 2010, 02:52 pm »
Be sure to take frequency measurements as well for yourself.  Depending on sub placement the largest bass hump in your room may not be the floor to ceiling dimension, and you cannot assume that the math will point you to the correct frequency problem spot either.  These formulas work in solid concrete rooms and need to be adjusted for standard stud type construction.
I do have a carpet over concrete with a double drywall (studio/lede type)  construction.  The ceiling also has a center dip (about a foot covered for ducting).  The room is 26x16.  So far,  there doesn't seem to a a terrible hump, but then again- I have been pretty conservative with controls.  I have successfully set up HSU, REL strata and  2 different dayton subs.  None of them will be as potent as the VMPS. The VMPS does have the advantage that none of them have in mass damping.

Construct

« Reply #38 on: 15 Jul 2010, 06:57 pm »
I have set up the sub amp accordingly, I have some audioquest ic's and OFC stranded cable I am using to connect the sub.  When the sub arrives, of course.  :scratch:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2010, 07:04 pm »
Patience, Grasshopper.  I predict you will be rewarded--today!!

If not call me.