Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: Sandbox OB H Frame Build
« Reply #20 on: 14 Jun 2020, 06:40 pm »
They're turning out amazing so far!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm »
Yes those are coming along nicely! I hope they are worth the extra effort. Just curious, but what gave you the idea to do it this way? Don't like the look of Nores?

AlexH

« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2020, 03:55 pm »
I was originally going to build the sealed sandbox version sub. I just liked the idea of the sand damping the cabinet walls. But after looking  at my room and everyone saying how good OB base is I decided to build the OB sub. But I still liked the idea of the sandbox, so I combined them. Will it make a difference? I don't know for sure. Would I do it again? I don't know, it has turned out to be more work than I expected.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #23 on: 16 Jun 2020, 01:32 pm »
I doubt anyone would go to the trouble to build one of each and do a comparison but it would be interesting to see (or hear) if it made a difference.

They are going to look great from what I can see so far. How are you going to treat the edges?

I'm still planning to build a pair of these soon myself.

AlexH

« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2020, 05:06 pm »
The fronts of the cabinet will have curly maple trim to match my X-statiks. The back side will be trimmed in cherry. The cherry should look close to the color of the makore once it darkens. I will have grills on both sides which will be flush will the face. I can see it in my mind I just have to make it a reality. :lol:

AlexH

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2020, 09:48 pm »
Got started on the bases for these today. Its is a good day because it means the MDF cutting has come to an end.

The last pic shows the edges being sealed with Z-poxy. This where I really missed using Medex MDF. Medex is so much nicer to use if you are going to paint IMHO.

AlexH

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:34 pm »
A little more progress today. Curly Maple trim on the front and Cherry on the back.

And started to make grills...I hate making these things. But I have a 2 year old nephew who always make a beeline for my speakers when ever he comes over. Lucky for my speakers that is not very often.

AlexH

Re: Sandbox OB H Frame
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:38 pm »
They're gonna be cool Alex  :thumb:

Anxious to see what they come in weight wise... I know one of our  dual kits made from   solid 1.5" MDF  and  1" Medex (baflle/braces) is around  75 lbs.....   some quick math  and I figure  you'll get  maybe .3 cu ft of sand  in  the cabinets so roughly   an additional 30 lbs....   might not be too brutal  .... 

jay

Hey Jay. I weighed these the other day and you were very close. They came in just under 100 lbs. By the time I add the drivers they should be in the 130 to 135 lbs give or take.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 19 Jun 2020, 08:59 pm »
Those are looking amazing so far, i cant wait to see the finished product!  :thumb:

AlexH

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jun 2020, 11:00 pm »
Amp boxes made and veneered. These  will house the HX300 amp. They will have magnetic grills covering the amp once set  up. The slot in the bottom will allow me to run my cable from the backside and up to the input jack. So when done  it should look like a small speaker.

Captainhemo

Re: Sandbox OB H Frame
« Reply #30 on: 24 Jun 2020, 04:27 am »
Hey Jay. I weighed these the other day and you were very close. They came in just under 100 lbs. By the time I add the drivers they should be in the 130 to 135 lbs give or take.

:beer:
They are  loking really  good man,   looking  forward to   seeing     them all  buttoned up   

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jun 2020, 02:12 am »
Good looking build!

hawkeyejw

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2020, 01:36 pm »
Love reading your build threads Alex. Amazing skill and attention to detail! They are looking fantastic already, can't wait to see the finished product.

AlexH

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jun 2020, 05:56 pm »
Thanks for the complements.

I can't wait to get it done either. This has turned out to be a bit more of a project than I thought it would be. But I have no one to blame but myself, I do have a tendency to go over board sometimes. :lol:

Sonicjoy

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:09 pm »
HaHa! I'm guilty of that myself quite often. But ya those are looking great!  :thumb:

hawkeyejw

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jun 2020, 02:59 pm »
Amp boxes made and veneered. These  will house the HX300 amp. They will have magnetic grills covering the amp once set  up. The slot in the bottom will allow me to run my cable from the backside and up to the input jack. So when done  it should look like a small speaker.

If you don't mind sharing, what is your technique to get the veneer trimmed so perfectly, especially along the slots?

AlexH

« Reply #36 on: 26 Jun 2020, 05:15 pm »
I use a down spiral router bit.

And then a little sanding.

hawkeyejw

« Reply #37 on: 26 Jun 2020, 06:01 pm »
I use a down spiral router bit.

And then a little sanding.

Cool, thanks. I was afraid to try a straight flush trim bit on mine so I used a wood file and sacrificed some skin to the blister gods to get mine done. Yours looks much cleaner though. I'll have to invest in one if I do another project with veneer.

AlexH

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jun 2020, 06:33 pm »
Good router bits are not cheap. But the job you get is well worth it, especially when you consider all the effort you have to put into your speaker project. And when its done you will be admiring your creation and not the mistakes. It makes you feel much better about it.
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2020, 07:58 pm by AlexH »

hawkeyejw

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jun 2020, 08:20 pm »
Good router bits are not cheap. But the job you get is well worth it, especially when you consider all the effort you have to put into your speaker project. And when its done you will be admiring your creation and not the mistakes. It makes you feel much better about it.

I've been learning that lesson. I was lucky my dad had a couple nice 1/4" end mills I was able to use for cutting the circles instead of the cheap 2 flute straight bit I had. Made a big difference. Regardless, I'm familiarizing myself with the long woodworking tradition of spending hours working on a piece, then immediately finding all the flaws in your work that you'll fix next time.  :lol: Luckily I was used to it from a lifetime of the same issue when maintaining my cars so all good. If you don't let it bother you, it's a fun part of the process.