So I have decided to try and build a sandbox version of the H frame OB sub. Is the effort worth it? I have no idea. I was originally going to build two sandbox sealed subs and upgrade my X-Statiks because it fit into this year’s audio budget. But after reading everyones comments on how good OB base sounded, I decided to build one OB this year and a second one next winter. I will be building both H frames now though because if you are going to build one you might as well build two at the same time. After talking to Danny briefly when ordering supplies he said ¼” or 3/8” of sand was good enough. Since I was not going to use no-rez I thought I would go with ½” of sand because bigger is always better.
All four sides will have 3/4” mdf / 1/2” sand/ 3/4” mdf. The exterior will be veneered with fiddleback Makore framed by curly Maple on the front side and domestic cherry on the backside. I my case both front and back will be visible. I am trying to match my X-Statiks as much as possible which are done in pommele Makore with curly maple. I could not find pommele Makore at a reasonable price but did find a good price on some fiddleback Makore. And since I am not going to use no-rez I thought I would veneer the inside with domestic cherry veneer so it would looked good when I showed my friends, which most of whom couldn’t care less.
I see three possible outcomes from this build:
1) At the end of this thread you will see what I consider a nice piece of kit.
2) At the end of this thread you will see a failed project sitting on the burn pile outside of my shop.
3) At this end of this thread you will see a couple of OB subs sitting in my shop because they are too damn heavy to move and transport home.