DS-21 with egg

SoCalWJS

Re: DS-21 with egg
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:20 pm »
When using the computer as the source you don't have to have any other equipment in the signal chain and you can use whatever DAC you want and still perform room correction. I just started using Audiolense in my system with my LS-6 speakers and it has improved the soundstage, detail, and tonality. I'm still playing with all the settings. I may also try going fully active with my LS-6's.

I'm also playing with crossover settings. The bass from my infinite baffle subs sounds better than the LS-6's. Currently I'm using a 40 Hz 24 db/octave crossover but will try higher. I also want to try overlapping crossovers. The nice thing about Audiolense is that it perfectly integrates the speakers and subs.
..... and now that we have completely derailed this thread...

Fully Active!!??! Details!

I keep thinking of getting a fully active setup - I need to contact the Ninja (or somebody) and see if something can be built. I would love me some tubes on the top and keep the XPA-1's for the bottom.

Danny Richie

« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2012, 11:22 pm »
Now you are making me hungry.

persisting1

« Reply #62 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:13 am »
DS-21, you keep bring up the Tiny Dancer. We get it, you don't like it, but apparently everyone is did. I owned it and loved it. I guess all those awards it received were from quack jobs.

Rclark

« Reply #63 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:23 am »
I am willing to bet that if DS-21's wife would approve it, he'd be all over a specialized room and system with all the bells and whistles. I get the feeling he's rationalizing, justifying what he has.

No true audiophile thinks backed-up-against-the-wall, no treatments, etc, is superior to a fully thought out, measured, treated.. dedicated system. And as far as eyesore, well, there are some rather attractive treatments to be had if you have the cash, artistically made traps, beautiful high end diffusers, artwork laden panels.. to say room treatments are ugly is to only speak of basic, utilitarian treatments.

And as far as slamming boutique parts, well I for one have had a lot of experience, in my system, with different capacitors, crossovers, etc, and to say it's some kind of con leads me to believe you have no personal experience with said "boutique" parts.

Lastly, DS-21, you may or may not be familiar with Bruno Putzeys, the designer of the new class d Ncore amps that are pretty much revolutionizing what is possible in terms of performance, price, size, efficiency, etc..

Anyway, this man is considered to be at the forefront of class d technology and has had a long career designing gear, starting as a tube amp designer when only a teenager.

He says, and I'm paraphrasing, that we still don't know everything there is to know about how audio gear works, and we still don't have a complete toolkit for measuring phenomena. He says we have the vast majority of it, but for a handful of things, we still require listening tests.

There are still discoveries to be made.

I've been in this hobby not nearly as long as you, but I'm already experienced enough to tell you you're wrong.

...and let me get this right? AVR? Disqualified.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2012, 03:34 am by Rclark »

jackman

« Reply #64 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:50 am »
Rclark,

I know DS-21 is a bit blunt and confrontational with his delivery but you, and many people in this thread have a long way to go before you can legitimately take shots at the guy.  His antagonistic posts might ruffle some feathers but they are very well articulated. I admire a guy who is not afraid to go against the grain and defend his beliefs.

I may not necessarily agree with everything he posts, but I have more respect for D21 than I do for the gang of fanboys and shills in the NCore thread.  I like the amps but have little respect for the "beta promoters" who are quick to delete posts and fain indignance whenever anyone asks about the special deals they received in exchange for their positive comments.  At least D21 isn't getting free gear in exchange for his support.   

Danny is a good guy and I enjoy his speaker designs and contribution to this site.  I mean no disrespect with my comments.  I just don't like the mob mentality of this particular thread.  Guys like D21 foster an entertaining and thought provoking discussion.   

Rclark

« Reply #65 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:52 am »
We're all just talking here Jackman, it's all good. I'm truly interested in what he has to say, but I also have my own opinion, as do we all.

I only brought up Ncore to deliver Putzeys's opinion on how much we know...

(and we all agree about the whole beta thing)

sts9fan

« Reply #66 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:54 am »
Lastly, DS-21, you may or may not be familiar with Bruno Putzeys, the designer of the new class d Ncore amps that are pretty much revolutionizing what is possible in terms of performance, price, size, efficiency, etc..

Lastly ,have I mentioned Ncore lately?

Rclark

« Reply #67 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:54 am »
Lol, see above.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:56 am »
I need another Grand Slam breakfast! :drool:

Bring on the egg'in rclark, sunny side up.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

persisting1

« Reply #69 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:06 am »
I like the amps but have little respect for the "beta promoters" who are quick to delete posts and fain indignance whenever anyone asks about the special deals they received in exchange for their positive comments.

Please tell me this didn't happen.

Rclark

« Reply #70 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:10 am »
.. There is some controversy regarding the superiority of the retail NC1200 versus the DIY NC400, and it was caused by beta testers not letting us know they were beta testers.. The jury is still out as the retail amps are new. But old news. Ultimately not a big deal. Go over to the Hypex forum, they'll tell you all about it.

Now back to DS-21's preconceived misconceptions.  :green:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #71 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:12 am »
Ok, I am going to Chick-fil-A for breakfast tomorrow for the chicken and egg bagel sandwich.   :)

cab

« Reply #72 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:28 am »
Please tell me this didn't happen.

Indeed it did. You won't find much mention of it on the Hypex forum because the moderator is one of those that got the deal and deletes any mention of it there....

Rclark

« Reply #73 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:34 am »
I'm going to go back and highlight what I said because it actually was useful to this discussion..  :lol:

there, bolded.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #74 on: 15 Nov 2012, 03:36 am »
I wonder if Denny's has Tabasco sauce for their eggs?  :flame:

Cheers,
Robin

persisting1

« Reply #75 on: 15 Nov 2012, 05:07 am »
Indeed it did. You won't find much mention of it on the Hypex forum because the moderator is one of those that got the deal and deletes any mention of it there....

This is very disappointing.That is simply failure in regards to reviewing basics. I've owned one of Bruno's Hypex based amps and that's negative attention no one wants.

This thread is dead. DS-21 does this on a lot of threads he participates in. He's obviously knowledgeable, but he can go a little too far at times  :duh: We've all made those mistakes, but i think he's somewhat a troll at this point.

Also, thanks for not deleting this thread Danny.

cab

« Reply #76 on: 15 Nov 2012, 01:47 pm »
This is very disappointing.That is simply failure in regards to reviewing basics. I've owned one of Bruno's Hypex based amps and that's negative attention no one wants.

Agreed. There has been failure here on several levels. Disappointing indeed.

JohnR

« Reply #77 on: 15 Nov 2012, 02:02 pm »
cab, enough with the small-minded whining and trolling, please.