New Amp For Omega Alnico JR XRS

audiomaniac

New Amp For Omega Alnico JR XRS
« on: 15 Feb 2022, 06:15 am »
So I'm finally back in the Omega family with a pair of Omega Alnico JR XRS speakers. They are great speakers but I don't think the Schiit Aegir I'm using does them justice at all. So I'm looking for a new amp and some of the candidates are the Analog Ethos Legendarium 2A3 and the AE1-C EL34 SE amp. Has anybody had any experience with Analog Ethos? They look very nice and offer their amps in a kit or for a little bit more assembled. Also, any comments on these two amp designs with the Omegas would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.analogethos.com/diytubekit

Kray

Re: New Amp For Omega Alnico JR XRS
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2022, 04:50 pm »
Never heard of Analog Ethos, but those look pretty sweet.

I've always used small watt tube amps with my Omegas. I also like Oliver Sayes stuff. I've used 45, 46, 421a, 42 based amps on my Omegas with nice success. The First Watt amps work great too. I'm using the J2.

sunnydaze

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2022, 05:23 pm »
Thanks for the link.  Never heard of the company.  Amps look nice.

jandrews

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2022, 05:29 pm »
Interesting....I'm also looking for a small SET amp to use with my Super 7's.  Currently using the solid state Vista Spark with excellent results.
Would love to hear others feedback on those amps with single driver speakers.   the little el84 kit is certainly priced well for experimenting.
Re: Oliver Sayes...is the preferred way to reach out to him solely via d.m. on usaudiomart?

viggen

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2022, 05:40 pm »
i like it's aesthetic and price point.  i question it's sound quality.  will it sound better than a musical paradise 301 at 1/3 the price?  the marketing is similar to "my first sony"...

audiomaniac

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2022, 06:40 pm »
I received a prompt and detailed response back from Perry to an email I sent last night. I'm looking at going with the 2A3 @ 3.5 watts/channel, EL34 in Ultralinear mode @ 7 watts/channel or he can do EL34 in Triode @ 4-5 watts/channel. The Omegas are 95 db sensitive. I am currently using a Quicksilver line stage that has 18db of gain and my room is pretty small, so I think I can go with any set up. I just don't know about a 2A3 amp as I have no experience with that tube. I like a nice euphoric tube sound for listening to jazz, but I also like transparency that Omegas give. I wonder if 3.5 watts would have enough headroom for things like light classic rock (say Steely Dan) and classical.

borism

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2022, 07:44 pm »
I like the 2A3 tube. I built a Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amplifier from kit for speakers that are less efficient than yours and like it. No issue with light classic rock listening. The 2A3 is a wonderful triode and used in SET (single ended triode) amplifiers. However, I have not heard of the Analog Ethos company.

Are you planning to build the kit yourself?

seikosha

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2022, 07:50 pm »
I received a prompt and detailed response back from Perry to an email I sent last night. I'm looking at going with the 2A3 @ 3.5 watts/channel, EL34 in Ultralinear mode @ 7 watts/channel or he can do EL34 in Triode @ 4-5 watts/channel. The Omegas are 95 db sensitive. I am currently using a Quicksilver line stage that has 18db of gain and my room is pretty small, so I think I can go with any set up. I just don't know about a 2A3 amp as I have no experience with that tube. I like a nice euphoric tube sound for listening to jazz, but I also like transparency that Omegas give. I wonder if 3.5 watts would have enough headroom for things like light classic rock (say Steely Dan) and classical.

I had an Oliver Sayes 2a3 amp for awhile.  In my small room, the 2a3 was powerful enough for the Omegas.

audiomaniac

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2022, 07:51 pm »
I like the 2A3 tube. I built a Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 amplifier from kit for speakers that are less efficient than yours and like it. No issue with light classic rock listening. The 2A3 is a wonderful triode and used in SET (single ended triode) amplifiers. However, I have not heard of the Analog Ethos company.

Are you planning to build the kit yourself?

You know, I have built a couple of Bottlehead kits, but this time I will probably have it built.

Thanks for your comments on the 2A3. I just don't want to be limited in my music choices. That said, my Led Zep days (and ears) are way in the rear view mirror!

audiomaniac

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2022, 07:53 pm »
I had an Oliver Sayes 2a3 amp for awhile.  In my small room, the 2a3 was powerful enough for the Omegas.

I'm curious why you sold it. Did you stick with 2A3 or go with something else? Thanks

seikosha

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2022, 09:04 pm »
I'm curious why you sold it. Did you stick with 2A3 or go with something else? Thanks

At a certain point, at least for me, amps stop being better and just become different flavors of a really good thing.  The 2A3 is a great sounding tube, but my little Decware Zen was/is a really great sounding amp as well.  The 2A3 was slightly more dynamic and bright sounding, on some recordings I preferred the 2A3, on others I preferred the Zen.  At the end of the day, the tubes in the zen are much cheaper and that pretty much drove my decision.

audiomaniac

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2022, 09:37 pm »
At a certain point, at least for me, amps stop being better and just become different flavors of a really good thing.  The 2A3 is a great sounding tube, but my little Decware Zen was/is a really great sounding amp as well.  The 2A3 was slightly more dynamic and bright sounding, on some recordings I preferred the 2A3, on others I preferred the Zen.  At the end of the day, the tubes in the zen are much cheaper and that pretty much drove my decision.
Very good points! Thanks

audiomaniac

« Reply #12 on: 16 Feb 2022, 04:33 am »
Decided to go with the AE1-C assembled and wired in triode mode, being an EL34 SET. Estimated build time is 2-3 weeks. I can hardly wait!  :banana piano:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 16 Feb 2022, 05:40 am »
 :thumb:

viggen

« Reply #14 on: 27 Mar 2022, 05:00 pm »
Decided to go with the AE1-C assembled and wired in triode mode, being an EL34 SET. Estimated build time is 2-3 weeks. I can hardly wait!  :banana piano:

Did you receive the amp?  How does it sound?

audiomaniac

« Reply #15 on: 27 Mar 2022, 06:38 pm »
Yes, I have been enjoying it for the last month or so. It really sounds great with the Omegas. Perry was great to deal with and responded quickly to all of my emails. I had him wire it in triode mode. Kind of different I guess since the el34 isn't a triode tube but he said that he had done that for some people and the feedback had been very positive. I myself love the sound and I'm glad I went that way. I think it puts out about 4-5 watts/channel. The amp is definitely a kit and not a mass produced commercial item, but that is what makes it unique. Perry's website is full of great information and while I would have liked to build it, my eyes aren't what they used to be so I elected to have him build it.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 27 Mar 2022, 08:17 pm »
Looks great! Enjoy it on your Alnicos!    :thumb:

audiomaniac

« Reply #17 on: 27 Mar 2022, 09:36 pm »
Thanks! I'm really enjoying the set up. Love those Alnicos!

Fed

« Reply #18 on: 31 May 2022, 02:54 am »
I recently got a pair of Omega Junior Alnico XRS as well.  I’m powering them with a Chord TT2.  Sounds fantastic, but missing a bit of bass. I’m thinking of a sub, maybe Louis’ hemp8.  How is the bass in your system with these speakers?

audiomaniac

« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2022, 09:22 pm »
I ended up adding a Rel T/5x. I think it depends on what music you listen to. Moving the speaker closer to the wall or corner helps but I like to move them out into the room a little bit. I was just missing that little bit in the bass dept and got the sub. The Rel blends perfectly. And congrats on the new speakers!