Any Woo owners here?

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
Any Woo owners here?
« on: 15 Aug 2012, 12:48 pm »
I've narrowed the field down to a couple (OK several) headphones that I like.  Now I'm looking at amplifiers.  So far, the best one I own is my vintage Pioneer SX-1250.  Still, we "all" need several amps right?   I have a nice older Antique Sound Labs tube amp that does both OTL and TC...but I keep looking online at those great looking Woo amps.  Anyone here own one?   I'd be using it with Senn HD650's as well as Denon D5000's.
tnx,
Hibuck....

dB Cooper

Re: Any Woo owners here?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2012, 01:23 pm »
Don't own one but heard several at Capitol Audio Fest, including thru the Sennheiser HD600. Sounded good to me FWIW. Excellent build quality.

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2012, 02:12 pm »
I have the Woo WA2, which is HP amp and preamp combined.  Liked it at first, but liked it even better when I did some tube rolling.  Currently using Tung-Sol 5998 tubes and am very happy with it.  I use it on a pair of Thunderpant TP1 phones (Heavily modified Fostex T50rp). 

hibuckhobby

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2012, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for the responses!  I'm looking at a used Traformatic and a Woo WA6.
Hibuck....

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2012, 12:40 am »
I've got a WooAudio 6 which is really nice - the thing is built like a tank.
It's got one big Tung Sol and two RCAs which works for me.

gregroe

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:46 am »
Got a woo 6 myself. Absolutely love it

MttBsh

« Reply #6 on: 18 Aug 2012, 04:18 am »
I've just become interested in getting some good phones and an amp. After a couple of days looking around, I'm pretty settled on the Beyerdynamics T1 Tesla and powered by the Beyerdymamics A1 headphone amp. For around 2 grand for cans and amp, does anyone believe there are better options out there? Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions

LA mitchell

« Reply #7 on: 18 Aug 2012, 04:22 am »
I had a WOO2 with HD650's and really liked the sound, look, and quality of the WOO :)

It also sounded good as a preamp to my AUDIOENGINE2's!

highfilter

« Reply #8 on: 18 Aug 2012, 09:04 am »
I've just become interested in getting some good phones and an amp. After a couple of days looking around, I'm pretty settled on the Beyerdynamics T1 Tesla and powered by the Beyerdymamics A1 headphone amp. For around 2 grand for cans and amp, does anyone believe there are better options out there? Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions

My friend brought over his T1's with his Woo Audio WA2 and the sound was very good. Built like a tank and even worked good as a pre-amp. He got the T1's and the WA2 used, so it was quite a bit under $2k. Can't comment on the sound compared to the A1 amp, but it did sound nice and the WA2 was very solid.

bigjppop

« Reply #9 on: 18 Aug 2012, 11:31 am »
I had the wa6 for some hd650s and some AKG701s and I had a problem using an iPod as a source (actually an iMod). The Woo really needed for voltage than the iMod could provide (only about 1v). I ended up selling the Woo.

I recommend you use it with a higher voltage source.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #10 on: 18 Aug 2012, 01:08 pm »
appreciate the input!  I guess I'll just bide my time and wait
for one to come up on the used market...although there is this
worked over Little Dot VI that is tempting.
Hibuck...

minimus

« Reply #11 on: 18 Aug 2012, 02:23 pm »
I own a Woo WA22 and an Eddie Current Super 7.  The Super 7 is less expensive and I like it a lot more than the Woo.  Let me put it this way...the Woo sounded good to me, if a bit dry and uninvolving, until I heard the Super 7.  Better bass, better midrange.  The Woo has great build quality, so I am keeping it as a "backup" should the Super 7 ever need service.  That said, I wouldn't rush to buy another Woo. I own a Blue Circle Hat Peed Thingee, which sounds nearly the same as the Woo at less than half the price.

I have not heard the Trafomatic but have read a fair amount about it.  It is supposed to sound pretty forward, which is not my cup of tea. 

MttBsh

« Reply #12 on: 18 Aug 2012, 03:43 pm »
This information is very helpful, thank you!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #13 on: 18 Aug 2012, 06:00 pm »
All this talk about amps has me pumped. OK...give me advice guys. I have HE-5LE's which I love and I also have the Schiit Asgard which is also fine and actually gets them loud and full enough for me that I enjoy the setup, but of course I'm always looking!!!! LOL :lol:

Also have Grado 125's that I modded and some low end Senns and Audio Technica but I only want to really focus on the HE-5's and Grado 125's...I need a low cost solution?? Should I get an O2??
 Are they good enough for full time headphone amp duty for both of these cans??? Guide me boys!!!! :thumb: :thumb:
   Sorry if its off topic...I wasn't thinking, move this if you need to.

irishsammy

« Reply #14 on: 11 Sep 2012, 01:27 pm »
I've got the Woo WA6-SE and it's probably the best headphone amp I've heard, all things considered.  I would even put it above stuff of the Cavalli Liquid Fire ilk.  It took me a long time to find a tube set that complimented both high and low impedance cans but once I did, the smiling began.   :D  (It has taps for high and low impedance cans, too, btw.)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #15 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:13 am »
I may have said this before but because the WooAudio 6 is built so massively it doesn't come into it's own until it's been on for about an hour or so.
Last night I had it on and it sounded okay, it's nothing special, it sounds all right and then all of a sudden it went to this sounds great!
Of course that was about the time I had to go to sleep but you can't have everything.
Not the amp to own if you're just doing short listening sessions but if you have the time it's just the ticket.

hibuckhobby

« Reply #16 on: 13 Sep 2012, 01:49 am »
The ASL I have for sale takes a good 20 min to come on the pipe.
The difference isn't subtle!  Now if I can just raise a little more
$$$ I'll be tryng a WA6 myself.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #17 on: 13 Sep 2012, 11:19 am »
I am glad to see this thread start up.  I have been pouring over all of the info here and other sites and most of the opinions of the Woo were favorable.
I placed my order for a WA6 last week. Am anxious to put it to work with my 701's!

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #18 on: 13 Sep 2012, 12:16 pm »
All this talk about amps has me pumped. OK...give me advice guys. I have HE-5LE's which I love and I also have the Schiit Asgard which is also fine and actually gets them loud and full enough for me that I enjoy the setup, but of course I'm always looking!!!! LOL :lol:

Also have Grado 125's that I modded and some low end Senns and Audio Technica but I only want to really focus on the HE-5's and Grado 125's...I need a low cost solution?? Should I get an O2??
 Are they good enough for full time headphone amp duty for both of these cans??? Guide me boys!!!! :thumb: :thumb:
   Sorry if its off topic...I wasn't thinking, move this if you need to.

I'm not a fan of tubes. No flamming please. The closest I've gotten is the Lyr. I had to give it up for its incurable hum (no ground loop). But it did give my cans a very warm and mellow sound, which many tube users say is typical of their amps. I prefer a different sound - neutral -  and especially no noise. If this is the sound you seek the O2 does this outstanding; better than any amp I've had. And it is very inexpensive. About $150. I bought two. If price is not a concern, you should try the Bryston BHA-1. I haven't heard it, but I understand that it too is neutral and those who have heard it think it's very good.

Dave

johzel

« Reply #19 on: 13 Sep 2012, 01:16 pm »
The closest I've gotten is the Lyr. I had to give it up for its incurable hum (no ground loop). But it did give my cans a very warm and mellow sound, which many tube users say is typical of their amps.

I have a Lyr (with Senn 650's) and it's dead quiet.  Did yours always have the hum?  A tube issue maybe??  Just curious - Jason couldn't fix?

BTW, contacted Woo regarding my HD650's and was told the WA3 was a very nice match for them.