Bicycling On-the-Road

LadyDog

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #840 on: 1 Apr 2012, 01:04 pm »
Nothing wrong with Superbe Pro.  Back in the day it was as good(if not better) than Dura Ace or Record.

Levi

« Reply #841 on: 1 Apr 2012, 02:34 pm »
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you have the most expensive brakes out there, if they are not setup correctly it does not feel right. 

While I'm envious of some of the bicycles a few of you guys ride, whenever I visit a bike shop and squeeze down hard on the brakes of some of the newer bicycles, I'm often disappointed. I mean like are they all supposed to be squishy, mushy?

I have a pair of older calipers that I think I'll continue to keep. Though not quite as panache as some of the newer stuff, these oldies are quite solid, very firm when you squeeze down on them. One of the few calipers sets that actually have tiny ball bearings instead of bushings.

Æ

« Reply #842 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:34 pm »
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you have the most expensive brakes out there, if they are not setup correctly it does not feel right.

That's not opinion, that's fact.

I caught a picture of Lance Armstrong in a magazine, riding something from who knows back when. Anyway one thing instantly caught my eye, he had a mix of old and new technology, the rear derailleur was shifted via the brake lever on the handlebars, but he had an old school downtube shift lever for his front derailleur! An unexpected combination.

jackman

« Reply #843 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:49 pm »
AE - that must have been an old picture.  When integrated shifters were first invented several pro's still used downtube shifters for their front DR's because they could trim them more precisely and save weight as well.

This is no longer the case. Modern front shifters work better than anything In the past (okay, some people hated Red until recently because the Ti was flexy but not in my experience).

I love nostalgia, and there is a true elegance to some if that old Campy gear, but a properly set up pro level Campy, SRAM or Shimano system is lighter, crisper shifting and, IMO, superior to anything Eddy Mercx, Lemond or any of the greats were using back in the day.

I'm not sure if you just squeezed brake levers or actually tested a properl tuned new bike but if you actually test a new setup, I think you are going to be in for a surprise and a treat.  The new designs from the big three perform beautifully.  I suspect you will not want to go back to the old design!

Just a hunch...

Cheers,

Jack

PS - I'm not saying the new designs will make you faster. Better shifting, breaking and lighter weight make riding more enjoyable but can only take you so far. I get passed all the time by older guys riding antiques.  Bastards...

Æ

« Reply #844 on: 1 Apr 2012, 05:59 pm »
I'm not sure if you just squeezed brake levers or actually tested a properly tuned new bike but if you actually test a new setup, I think you are going to be in for a surprise and a treat.  The new designs from the big three perform beautifully.  I suspect you will not want to go back to the old design!

Only one thing, I'd have to redo the brakes and cables, I prefer my front brake controlled by my right hand.

I've test ridden a few of the newer ones, I just don't have $8K to shell out.

Æ

« Reply #845 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:06 pm »
Pic of last years Stage 2 of the Amgen Tour of California, last lap around the state capitol. It was raining that day, intermittently, which is kind of unusual for Sacramento in the month of May.

jackman

« Reply #846 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:36 pm »
Awesome picture AE!  I'm getting ready to go for a ride by myself. My group has gotten too fast for me, I gained ten pounds and, no excuses, started smoking cigarettes again. 

Not smoking as much as I was before I started cycling but I need to quit.  This is a very embarrassing admission but any moral support from my friends is always appreciated.  Very disappointing because I quit for a long time and was doing well.

In my former group, there were a few guys who always had the latest gear.  New custom Ti and cf frames every year or two, Zipp wheels and Dura Ace or Red grouppos.  There are other guys with modest bikes and old kits.  It's cubby because some of the fastest guys are the ones with modest rides. One of the fastest guys rides an aluminum Giant wih stock - old! - Shimano wheels and 105 components including a triple, and ancient Look pedals.  The slowest guy (not including me!) rides a beautiful Colnago with Campy Super Record and Zipp 303 tubulars.  There is less of a connection between expensive gear and speed.  Fit is very important and everyone in the group puts a lot of effort into getting a good fit but you can't buy speed, you have to earn it.  I need get out and earn a bit today.

Cheers

J

Levi

« Reply #847 on: 1 Apr 2012, 09:43 pm »
Hey Jack, glad you are not afraid to admit that you went back to smoking.  Must have been stressful winter for you.  Hopefully, the more you ride the less you will smoke cigs.  I also agree that buying speed can only get you so far.  At least new toys is a great motivational tool to ride more instead of sitting in front of the speakers.  LOL! 

AE It was a surprise you like right-front brakes.  Brits are the only people that I know who like right-front brakes/shifters like motorcycles. 

Æ

« Reply #848 on: 1 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm »
AE It was a surprise you like right-front brakes.  Brits are the only people that I know who like right-front brakes/shifters like motorcycles.

Ever try squeezing the front brake with only one hand on the handlebar? I did it once (young, dumb) and proceeded to fall real hard. Ended up with a fresh slice of hot pizza mushed into my chest, jacket. Anyway, I commuted to High School on a 10 speed, I would carry or hold items with my right hand and steer-brake with my left hand. It was certainly much better to use the rear brake when having only one hand on the handlebar. My left hand has always been my dominant driving hand, just like when I'm behind the wheel of an automobile. Left hand on the wheel and right hand on the gear shift lever. Having the rear brake on the left hand leaves my right hand free for other things, shifting, water bottle etc, and I can still apply the brake if I need to.
« Last Edit: 2 Apr 2012, 12:31 am by Æ »

Levi

« Reply #849 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm »
We definitely have different riding style.  I have squeezed the brakes with one hand on-road and off-road.  Even on a 6hr races when I am completely depleted.  Good brake setup allows you to modulate the brakes instead of on or off.  Like in a car, I can still eat or drink coffee even with a stick shift.  I guess I am ambidextrous.

Cheers!

LadyDog

« Reply #850 on: 1 Apr 2012, 11:58 pm »
Hey Jack,
Hope all is well.  As they say, the first step is admission.  ;)

Do it for the pooch in the picture.  Let alone your son.  Enough of the Dad routine.

As with you, I've put my far share of winter weight on.  The older I get, the less motivated I am to keep fit during the winter.  Can come up with all kinds of excuses - work, cold weather, tired, it's dark, etc. Even today, it was nice out today, should have gone on a ride, but yard work and few other projects were less output.  Which really does not make much sense, considering how I feel when I am in shape vs. the fat a** feeling I have now.

Levi - how do you like the brakes?  Believe they went with a single pivot?

Stay safe out there all.

Levi

« Reply #851 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:13 am »
I truly love the new red brakes.  It is soft touch, extremely powerful but is easy to modulate = less finger fatigue.  Perfect when you are doing long descents.  You simply don't need the power of your fingers to stop.

jackman

« Reply #852 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:23 am »
Thanks guys.  I didn't want to admit my backslide but felt it would be dishonest to speak about getting back into shape without mentioning my foray back into cigarettes.

Regarding brakes, I like a well modulated brake system and have no problem applying the brakes with one hand.  There is a pretty famous racer around here who only has one arm.  He's really fast and has amazing core strength.  I've seen him whiz by me several times. It's quite a sight!

Good luck guys. I'm never going to preach to anyone because I have enough of my own problems to worry about.

Levi - those new Red brakes are sexy!  SRAM new stuff is really cool looking but very expensive.  I hope my old Red kit lasts a long time.

Cheers and ride safe!

Jack

Æ

« Reply #853 on: 2 Apr 2012, 12:34 am »
I truly love the new red brakes.  It is soft touch, extremely powerful but is easy to modulate = less finger fatigue.  Perfect when you are doing long descents.  You simply don't need the power of your fingers to stop.

Brake pads are just as important too, just like with a car, if they overheat, poof.

LadyDog

« Reply #854 on: 13 Apr 2012, 04:42 pm »
A recent addition.  Bought as a frame, so it is not built up yet.  Other than the wheels, should look similar though as I am leaning toward a mixture of Centaur/Chorus/Record stuff which I have laying around.

Better picture when built.

ctviggen

« Reply #855 on: 15 Apr 2012, 06:28 pm »
Has anyone tried a mirror that attaches to your helmet?  I've had basically every bike-attached mirror, and they either wiggle free over bumps (so that they're unusable) or I hit them while my bike is on the rack and ruin them.  I'm thinking maybe a helmet mirror may actually work.

ctviggen

« Reply #856 on: 15 Apr 2012, 06:31 pm »
As for brakes, I think the next bike I buy is going to have disc brakes.  They (racing/touring style bikes) are hard to find, though.  Rim brakes are OK if everything is new, but run a rim long enough (which really isn't that long) and the brakes begin to have problems, especially in the rain.  I find in the rain, I can slow down, but I cannot stop.  I'm hoping disc brakes would fix that problem, assuming the tires can keep up with the brakes. 

marz

« Reply #857 on: 17 Apr 2012, 08:02 pm »
Here on vacation in Naples Fl riding with the Naples Velo group. Naples Velo has a different group ride for every day of the week. There are some really hard rides with unlimited speeds, ripping out of the corners,etc.,  and some nice tempo rides limited to 25mph. For me coming from New England, the land of hills and bad weather  I am always taken aback at how fit these guys are down here. If you get a chance it's well worth it  to take a ride with Naples Velo.

jonwb

« Reply #858 on: 19 Apr 2012, 05:46 am »
Hey guys! Sounds like everyone is enjoying the start of the bike season. Interesting discussion on brakes. Along the lines of what ctviggen was saying, yeah, I think traditional brakes as we know them will be done within the next ten years.  For obvious reasons, disc brakes quickly became defecto on mountain bikes. And many of those advantages apply to road bikes as well. Without question disc brakes are a 'better idea', but it will be interesting to see how manufacturers deal with the increased weight. And how wheel manufacturers can take advantage of not having to worry about providing braking surfaces.

ctviggen, I think I mentioned earlier somewhere that I put a mirror on my commuter bike this year (converted mountain bike).  The one I got mounts into the end of the handlebar. I'll shoot a pic of it this weekend so you can see how I have it oriented. I actually have it pointed downward so it's less conspiquous and gets knocked around a little less. It's been a while since I've had a mirror on my bike, and I find myself really liking it. I can see when people are back behind me without having to swing my head around. Especially handy when I'm 10in from the curb. On rough roads it does bounce / vibrate a bit, but it usually doesn't last too long. I'm going to have to figure out how to get one on my road bike. I've not tried a helmet mirror.

Ladydog, that's going to be a cool looking bike! Good luck with the build.

Jack, good luck with kicking that habit. I always find my worst habits kick in at times when I'm under more stress. Once you get into riding again hopefully it will be easier.

Æ

« Reply #859 on: 19 Apr 2012, 07:23 am »
As for brakes, I think the next bike I buy is going to have disc brakes.  They (racing/touring style bikes) are hard to find, though.  Rim brakes are OK if everything is new, but run a rim long enough (which really isn't that long) and the brakes begin to have problems, especially in the rain.  I find in the rain, I can slow down, but I cannot stop.  I'm hoping disc brakes would fix that problem, assuming the tires can keep up with the brakes.

Someone else on another forum was saying the same thing, especially since he lives in Oregon. His hopes are to get a Soma with disc brakes.