Bicycling On-the-Road

jonwb

Re: Bicycling On-the-Road
« Reply #820 on: 18 Feb 2012, 11:14 pm »
Half way through February already!  I hope all my fellow northerners have need working hard on thier trainers, and those who can comfortably enjoy the outdoors are getting after it.  I was a bit lazy/busy around Christmas, but I've been pretty good for the past month or so.  I have an old Schwinn spinning bike in my basement.  Its a little thin on data, but I can get a pretty good idea of my fitness by where my knob is  :lol:

Its actually been the most mild winter that I can remember.  I certainly have had some opportunities to get outside on the bike that I've let slip by.  The days are getting a bit longer now however, so I think in the next couple weeks I'll start dabbling in commuting to work.  That gets me two 13mi rides / day.  Speaking of which, for Christmas Santa got me a Topeak rack:

... and a trunk bag:

The bag slides into a track in the rack and snaps in place.  No straps or anything to worry about.  Handy since I'll need to detach it before and after every ride.  It also has these flop down sides that act like mini-panniers.

We'll see how it is to use.  It has to be better than using a backpack all the time like last year (think hot back).  I use my old (circa 1993) aluminum Trek mountain bike (no shocks) for commuting duties.  Its a good sturdy bike for this job.  Even has the bosses I needed for the rack.  Last year I put some smaller semi-smooth tires on it.  Also got some SPD MTB pedals (two sided clip-in is nice on busy roads) and some shoes from Performance Bike.  I did not like fiddling around with toe clips.  I also bought myself a bar-end mirror and some lights.

Inspired by Levi, I recently purchased some tools so I could do some work on my bikes.  I have worked on my cars over the years and I do no end of stuff to my house, but I've never really done much to my bikes short of cleaning the chain and adjusting things here and there.  Both my bikes are pretty old, so I'm anxious to take some things apart and see how the bits are fairing.  Plus, I always kinda like knowing how things work / go together (I'm a mechanical engineer (surprise  :wink: ).

Well, that's prob enough of my babbling for now!  Take it easy guys!

Rclark

« Reply #821 on: 18 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm »
I was actually thinking of outfitting my bike like above and commuting that way. Roundabout how much was that bag setup would you say?

jonwb

« Reply #822 on: 18 Feb 2012, 11:41 pm »
The rack is $28 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-63107030-Explorer-Bike-Rack/dp/B000FIE3WI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329603339&sr=8-3).  I was fortunate in that the bike I use for commuting happened to have all the mounting bosses to make for an easy install.  With my road bike I would've been outta luck.  Well, actually I believe they have a seat post mounted version of that rack as well.

They have several bags that fit onto that rack.  I have the DXP bag and it runs $70 (http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-63107030-Explorer-Bike-Rack/dp/B000FIE3WI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329603339&sr=8-3).  It all depends on what you need to back I suppose.  I generally need to pack lunch and clothes.  Toiletries and shoes I leave at work (always black shoes on commuting days!).

Rclark

« Reply #823 on: 19 Feb 2012, 12:05 am »
Thanks for that! I live in a very cycle-centric place (Redmond, Wa) and I'm starting a new job next month, they actually have showers in the building so people can commute by bike and I plan on taking advantage.

LadyDog

« Reply #824 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:05 am »
Spring is here, at least it has started here in Indy.  Anyone back out on the road?  Any new items added over the winter?

Levi

« Reply #825 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:29 am »
Not much new equipment wise.  Working on shedding the effects of Winter Holidays on the body.

How about you?

tybee

« Reply #826 on: 22 Mar 2012, 02:50 am »
We have had a very mild winter here in the south.  I have ridden every weekend since last Thanksgiving averaging about 80 miles per weekend.  I have already ridden a hilly 80 miler this year with Spring BRAT just ahead at mid April.

A heavy work schedule will prevent me form riding the 422 mile Natchez Trace this year, but I hope to complete it next year.

Still riding a Sram Force/Red equipped Lynskey R430

LadyDog

« Reply #827 on: 24 Mar 2012, 02:01 am »
Hey Levi,
Hope all is well.  Picked up a few small things over the winter.  Zipp stem and bars.  Going to test out a Toupe saddle too.

Levi

« Reply #828 on: 26 Mar 2012, 03:02 am »
I like those Zipp stem and bars!

My new toy just arrived!

I figured need to post some updates here.  8-)

Dave G

« Reply #829 on: 26 Mar 2012, 02:42 pm »
Anyone back out on the road?

Back on the road?  I never left!  I started commuting by bike again early last fall (20 mi. round trip) and continued right through the very mild "winter" we had here in the Wash DC area.  I'm already over 1100 miles for 2012, all but 200 of those are commuting miles.

I use a hybrid bike for the commute, but finally got a proper road bike a month ago -- a Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5.  But I've only been on it for 35 miles, because I don't want to use it for the commute, and my weekends have been very busy.  But that should end soon, hopefully.

Bemopti123

« Reply #830 on: 27 Mar 2012, 12:58 am »

My new toy just arrived!

I figured need to post some updates here.  8-)

Hey Levi, how do you like them SRAM reds?  I personally am not really impressed with their lower end stuff, not that I can afford any better.  Pathetically, how I said it before, my older Campy mirage stuff that came with my old steel Bianchi Eros 1996 is head and shoulders about the crapper that came with my Specialized Allez Comp APEX(APEX of sheet) in my books.  Oh, btw, the more expensive Force stuff is butta smooth in my Cyclocross rig.  I thought that the DuraAce is a much better kit than the SRAM....but that is what I think. 

Anyone into steel?  I love the feel of it under my butt but I do not appreciate the weight in comparison to my Al frames.  Now, mind you, that the only experience I have is my old 24.5 lbs steel Bianchi...but, ah, so smooth of a ride!

Levi

« Reply #831 on: 27 Mar 2012, 02:29 am »
I think SRAM is getting better and better.  They learned lots from acquiring Zipp Speed Weaponry.  It is evident in their new 2012/13 SRAM Red Aero link brakes.  I love it. 

jackman

« Reply #832 on: 27 Mar 2012, 03:25 am »
Is it Spring yet?  Hey guys, I'm loving this thread again.   Levi, cool looking bike! 

A bike dealer friend of mine was selling some new 404 Firecrest clinchers for $1,300 and they sold before I could post on this site.  He also had 808's for $1,600 but they also sold quickly.  I'm glad they sold because I was about to buy them...

SRAM makes great stuff.  I've ridden Force and Rival and they shift beautifully when set up properly.  I currently Red shifters, front and rear DR's and they are awesome.  The new front DR is supposed to be even better and their brakes are very good.  Honestly, I prefer the feel of Shimano brakes but like the way my SRAM REd shifts much better than the latest Dura Ace.  Di2 is still tops in my book but I'm not sure I want batteries to ride my bike.  I tried the new Ultegra Di2 and it is absolute magic.  I'd trade my Red for it in a minute but it's a moot point because there is zero chance anyone would make that trade.  Di2 is like magic. 

tybee

« Reply #833 on: 27 Mar 2012, 10:46 am »
I must agree with Jackman on the shifting abilities of Sram.  Infact Jackman's recommendation to add Red shifters with Force was my upgrade over the winter.

Last week, I visited my LBS, and thay had a new 2012 equipped Sram bike on the floor.  The owner offered me a demo ride, and I must say the new Red powertrain is by the smoothest yet.  Great stuff!

AB

« Reply #834 on: 27 Mar 2012, 08:20 pm »
No new gear here but I have been riding a lot.
Here's this mornings effort.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/162208416

Some climbing then out to the flats.

There are a few big fires burning so the air is pretty nasty. My nose is running and I'm sneezing every few minutes.

It's been a pretty mild Spring here but super dry and windy.

LadyDog

« Reply #835 on: 28 Mar 2012, 03:13 am »
Personally, I'm a fan of Sram.  As I am of Campy too.  It all works well.  Not sure one is any better than the other, just personal preference.  Levers fit some hands better than others, some like the lighter feel of Shimano, others like the more modular feeling of Campy brakes.  All personal.  As is it with those who like carbon fiber, to those who like steel or titanium.   

Levi

« Reply #836 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:00 am »
I just received an email from http://granfondony.com/ ...

Entry fee comes with a nice Giordana GFNY jersey and this bag + more swags!

Hey Paul, you can still join me and Phil.  I think your Italian Bike will feel right at home here.  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2012, 01:05 pm by Levi »

LadyDog

« Reply #837 on: 31 Mar 2012, 12:34 pm »
Looks like a lot of fun Levi.  You'll need to trade that Cervelo in on a Ciocc, Coppi, or a Casati. ;)

Levi

« Reply #838 on: 31 Mar 2012, 01:05 pm »
I don't mind getting Ciocc $upremo. :)

Looks like a lot of fun Levi.  You'll need to trade that Cervelo in on a Ciocc, Coppi, or a Casati. ;)

Æ

« Reply #839 on: 1 Apr 2012, 06:09 am »

My new toy just arrived!

While I'm envious of some of the bicycles a few of you guys ride, whenever I visit a bike shop and squeeze down hard on the brakes of some of the newer bicycles, I'm often disappointed. I mean like are they all supposed to be squishy, mushy?

I have a pair of older calipers that I think I'll continue to keep. Though not quite as panache as some of the newer stuff, these oldies are quite solid, very firm when you squeeze down on them. One of the few calipers sets that actually have tiny ball bearings instead of bushings.