14B tick/pop

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
Re: 14B tick/pop
« Reply #20 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:18 pm »
To update....

I've been talking to Mike Pickett via email & phone (as well as doing a little research myself on the net) and the popping may be caused by a small amount of DC voltage on the outputs.

There is a DC Offset adjustment that can be done on the amps, if required. I tested all three (3) outputs on my 6B and they tested +/- 0.000 volts...perfect.

The 14B SST tested +0.005 & 0.011 volts on outputs. So, we'll do a little adjustment to bring them down to zero (which is where they are targeted to be) and hopefully that takes care of the popping  8)

Keith

Quick adjustment to DC Offset (+/- 0.000s across the board) but the amp is still popping like a banshee. Funny, even my wife noticed yesterday that the speakers were popping when the stereo was being turned off.

So, I'll send it off to Bryston next week for a look-see.

Keith

Please keep us posted :!:

KeithA

« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2009, 11:09 am »
Actually, over the weekend I spent a bit more time with the amp and a significant amount of the popping is now gone. Every now and then I'll get a static pop...but mostly it appears that the DC Offset adjustment made a  big improvement.

It's funny becuase after the adjustment the other night I tried a few times and kept getting the pops. However, over the next two days it seems to be a lot better.

We are not talkin about the 'click' of the relays here...these were static 'pops' coming out of the tweeters.

Keith

KeithA

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2009, 04:36 pm »
Actually, over the weekend I spent a bit more time with the amp and a significant amount of the popping is now gone. Every now and then I'll get a static pop...but mostly it appears that the DC Offset adjustment made a  big improvement.

It's funny becuase after the adjustment the other night I tried a few times and kept getting the pops. However, over the next two days it seems to be a lot better.

We are not talkin about the 'click' of the relays here...these were static 'pops' coming out of the tweeters.

Keith

UPDATE

Last weekend I let the 14B warm up for a couple hours and then measured the DC Offset again. I was still showing some DC on the binding posts, so I did another adjustment.

Now there 'popping' has all but gone. So, I'm pretty sure the problem was a bit of drift I had gotten from the DC Offset.

All is good  8)

Keith