budget Dac/Pre aka Digital Preamp

jandrews

budget Dac/Pre aka Digital Preamp
« on: 3 Jul 2023, 05:16 pm »
Curious if anyone has landed on a true budget solution for a dac with an analog output stage with a decent volume control
Bonus would be a little gain, but not absolutely necessary and 2 sets of outputs , but again not a deal breaker.
I think the LSA DPH-1 fits nicely into what I'm thinking about and it's a great deal but maybe not as cheap as I'm thinking.
This would be for a very small, seldom used system I'm putting together where I have all the other pieces already.
thank you

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: budget Dac/Pre aka Digital Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2023, 05:52 pm »
For $200, less when on sale, the Topping E50 is a great budget DAC that can function as a preamp.  I bought one and it sounds way better than my Schiit Modi 3.  Add a LPS and you get a little better sound.

https://apos.audio/products/topping-e50-dac-digital-to-analog-convertor

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2023, 07:07 pm »
Thank you
That looks like it could fit the bill
Seems like a similar product to the Ifi Zen Dac Signature V2 (https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac-signature-v2/) which is a pure dac with a defeat-able volume control on the RCA outs, but no remote.  It’s also $100 more than the E50.
The matching Topping P50 LPS seems like a nice thing to have as well.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2023, 12:23 am by jandrews »

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2023, 10:31 pm »
The E50 shows its faults if you pair it with a revealing system.  I tried it in my son's system with a Cary 300.2d integrated and Wharfedale Evo 4.4 speakers and it sounded a little rough around the edges.  But in my bedroom system which is a pair of Monitor Audio Silver Rx1 speakers and a Marantz Sr-1403 receiver, it sounds excellent.  Very dynamic and musical.  It is neutral sounding and has good detail without being harsh.  It has way more air and transparency than my Schiit Modi which I am going to sell.

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2023, 12:22 am »
I had my model numbers incorrect
looks like the E50 is what you recommended ...which is not compatible with the P50 power supply

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jul 2023, 11:54 am »
I had my model numbers incorrect
looks like the E50 is what you recommended ...which is not compatible with the P50 power supply

Why not? the P50 has a 5v output and the E50 comes with a 5v USB to barrel cable so that you can use the E50 with a USB charger.

There is the slightly more expensive Topping D30 Pro which has a built in power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmAyGuSJt0

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jul 2023, 04:15 pm »
Why not? the P50 has a 5v output and the E50 comes with a 5v USB to barrel cable so that you can use the E50 with a USB charger.

There is the slightly more expensive Topping D30 Pro which has a built in power supply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubmAyGuSJt0

The E50 is supposed to sound better than the D30 pro.

jandrews

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jul 2023, 05:36 pm »
What are you using to power the E50
I see they just released an E30 ii “lite” with only one AKM chip for $99

viggen

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jul 2023, 05:47 pm »
i suggest the topping e30ii too.  it has the newer velvet akm dac.  i bought it on amazon to try out and it sounds amazing for the price.  i powered it with hdplex 300 lpsu and it made a big difference.  so it definitely scales with better psu which you won't have an option to try if you went with topping's higher end dacs.  i don't see it for $99 tho.

jandrews

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jul 2023, 06:00 pm »
The “lite” version
Has only 1 dac chip instead of 2
I think it was just released about a week ago
https://apos.audio/products/topping-e30ii-lite-dac?_pos=2&_sid=275fcdec0&_ss=r

viggen

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jul 2023, 06:37 pm »
ah ic didn't know the ii was dual chip haha.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 5 Jul 2023, 02:19 am »
What are you using to power the E50
I see they just released an E30 ii “lite” with only one AKM chip for $99

I am using a Jameco 5v wall wart LPS.  I think it has been discontinued.  I am going to upgrade to a Teradak 5v LPS.  You can buy them on AliExpress.  I own 2 of these.  1 to power a Chord Qutest DAC and it makes a very nice difference.  The other is used to power my JCat usb card and it makes a huge difference in sound quality.

You can always use an ifi iPower or iPowerX. 

Read the reviews and watch video's  of the E30 and E30ii.  The Cheap Audio man trashed this DAC.  The E50 sounds much better.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #12 on: 5 Jul 2023, 09:49 am »
The older E30 also only has one AKM DAC chip.  The E30II has a newer chip.  The E30 must be used with a good power supply, with a wall wart it sounds like the detractors say it does.  I used a good power brick and the improvement is marked.  It's still a $100 DAC, but a really good one with the proper power supply.

jandrews

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jul 2023, 11:58 am »
Regarding the volume control on these DACs (e50 or otherwise) … obviously at these prices one can’t expect a miracle in terms of ultimate fidelity, but in day to day operation and and low to moderate levels, what is the experience like relying on the Topping volume attenuation?

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 5 Jul 2023, 03:41 pm »
Regarding the volume control on these DACs (e50 or otherwise) … obviously at these prices one can’t expect a miracle in terms of ultimate fidelity, but in day to day operation and and low to moderate levels, what is the experience like relying on the Topping volume attenuation?

I have not tried it as a preamp.  I have the volume or voltage set to the loudest going into my receiver.

Doublej

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jul 2023, 01:16 am »

I think the volume control for these unit is in the digital domain, so the fidelity of the volume control will be absolutely perfect.

anome

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jul 2023, 01:37 am »
Can't speak to a topping device, but I use a SMSL D0100 (has a volume knob) straight into a class d amp. No pops / thumps on power up / down and control is good with the right gain on the amp. There are a few threads at ASR where people using a topping device have had the DAC randomly go to 0db. So exercise caution to be sure that, whatever the device, 100% to your amp is not in pop your tweeter territory.

navi

« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2023, 02:38 am »

Digital Attenuation in the Topping units are VERY good.
For me at loud levels and my LOW gain power amp (orchard Starkrimsons) I have my Topping EX5 set to around -70-80dB
For D50 I had it set -80-90dB
Both settings are very good because I'm not actually attenuating that much.
Always sounds better than adding a pre amp in the mix.

jonbee

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2023, 04:10 pm »
I've owned the E30 and E50. Both are much improved with a better PS, such as the Jameco, but overall the E50 is much better sounding for small extra $. I liked it a lot, even in my high-rez Avalon based system. With a couple more inputs, maybe 1 more digital coax and an analog, it would be a deal breaker for a lot of medium priced units, but it is hard to beat within its' price and limits.