Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
Re: Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music
« Reply #100 on: 30 Apr 2011, 07:40 pm »
Hey Doug :  No worries - I read you 5 x 5 !  :D  Further to how PMC resolves ( at least in theory ) some of the issues cited by Mr. Taterworks -

Quoting from PMC's own description of their ATL (Advanced Transmission Line) designs:

"The bass driver is placed at one end of a long tunnel (the transmission line), which is heavily damped with absorbent acoustic material. This material is specified to absorb the upper bass and higher frequencies that radiate from the rear of the bass driver. The lowest frequencies, which remain in phase, then emerge from the large vent at the end of the line, which essentially acts as a second driver. One advantage to this approach is that the air pressure loading the main driver is maintained, thus controlling the driver over a wide frequency range, which in turn significantly reduces distortion… A further advantage of the transmission line approach is a cabinet that produces a higher volume and greater bass extension than a ported or sealed design of a similar size, even if identical drivers were used."

Interesting observation about the incorporation of subs into a system, Doug. I'm sure your system is sweet 'n righteous ! As I recall, you're a bottle-head, no ( I only use a tube preamp at this time ) ? What are you currently running for amps. Doug ?

D.D.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #101 on: 30 Apr 2011, 09:34 pm »
Hey Doug :  No worries - I read you 5 x 5 !  :D  Further to how PMC resolves ( at least in theory ) some of the issues cited by Mr. Taterworks -

Quoting from PMC's own description of their ATL (Advanced Transmission Line) designs:

"The bass driver is placed at one end of a long tunnel (the transmission line), which is heavily damped with absorbent acoustic material. This material is specified to absorb the upper bass and higher frequencies that radiate from the rear of the bass driver. The lowest frequencies, which remain in phase, then emerge from the large vent at the end of the line, which essentially acts as a second driver. One advantage to this approach is that the air pressure loading the main driver is maintained, thus controlling the driver over a wide frequency range, which in turn significantly reduces distortion… A further advantage of the transmission line approach is a cabinet that produces a higher volume and greater bass extension than a ported or sealed design of a similar size, even if identical drivers were used."

Interesting observation about the incorporation of subs into a system, Doug. I'm sure your system is sweet 'n righteous ! As I recall, you're a bottle-head, no ( I only use a tube preamp at this time ) ? What are you currently running for amps. Doug ?

D.D.
d.d., regarding subs, when i first went w/a subwoofer system and outboard active x-over, my speakers were thiel 3.5's, which were rated -2db at 20hz.  crossed over at 70hz to a pair of vmps larger subs, not only was the low end improved, but so were the thiel's.  that's another adwantage to going w/outboard subs - you can then use a tube amp on your main speakers, which otherwise might benefit from the low end control provided by a sand amp.  if your main amps & speakers aren't seeing anything below 60-100hz, (depending on chosen x-over point), the issue of low-end control becomes moot.   you can then choose the "tool" that best suits the job at hand... :wink:

now, i am triamping, using an almarro a205a mkll w/upgaded caps and tubes, driving a pair of decware-modded fostex fe206e drivers mounted in oris 150 horns.  below 250hz, these are crossed over to a pair of modded klipsch lascala bassbins that have beefed up cabinetry and fostex pro-audio 15" drivers installed.  these are driven alternately by a refrub'd modded electrohome 6aq5 amp or a rawsonte gainclone chip-amp.  i mostly run the chip-amp; no reason to burn tubes for that use.  below 80hz, the lascala's hand off to my vmps subs, which are driven by a pair of electrocompaniet aw75dmb's - one channel of each amp driving driving the two vmps' 12" & 15" drivers individually...

yes, this system has no problem with "hardrock"...   8)

doug s.

richidoo

« Reply #102 on: 1 May 2011, 12:26 am »
Yes, Focus speaker by Legacy Audio. Worth a listen if you can find a dealer. They have money back guarantee too if you can swing new. There are usually a few new and old models on the 'goner.  I had 2020s a few years back, I miss them. Saving up for the newer ones.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #103 on: 1 May 2011, 02:52 am »
Pair of Proac mini-monitors, crossed to DIY "El Pipe-o" tube-loaded subs, via a good active crossover and lots 0' watts!