Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music

F-100

Re: Speaker recommendation for Hardrock , Progressive Rock music
« Reply #80 on: 14 Apr 2011, 02:47 pm »
Check Craigslist for vintage JBL speakers. I have a pair of JBL SVA2100 and they rock the house and the nice thing is only cost me $200.  :D

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #81 on: 14 Apr 2011, 05:25 pm »
Complex, sonically dense music (your musical tastes) + untreated domestic environment = "turn that down...it sounds like shit" (your wife)

My advice - take your room out of the equation as much as possible. Have a look at good omni-directional speaker designs. They will load your presumably typical domestic room in a completely different manner from other speaker designs and will do justice to the kind of music you listen to. No need to be a nut-job audiophile with pillows on the wall, or for your speakers to be in the middle of the room to minimize room interactions. Trust me on this, if you like to listen loud, want a speaker that can untangle the most complex, sonically dense music and your speakers are going to stay in the living room where you live, good omni-directional speakers are seriously worth looking into.

If you're in Germany have a look at http://audible-emotions.de/

tesseract

« Reply #82 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:24 pm »
I'm not so sure that omnidirectional is the best way to get around room interaction.

Working towards that end and taking the opposite tack, constant directivity is getting a lot of attention.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #83 on: 15 Apr 2011, 06:45 pm »
Actually I think that a combination of constant directivity with bi-polar or di-polar characteristics is a good solution to difficult rooms.

tesseract

« Reply #84 on: 15 Apr 2011, 07:17 pm »
If you can give them the room they need, bi or di-pole is a good solution.

If you can give them the room, then your room is not so difficult after all.   :D

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #85 on: 25 Apr 2011, 03:03 am »
I know this is a bit off topic and I do not want to be preachy at all but....... I am a very healthy 40 year old guy and take care of myself through exercise and diet. The problem is that one thing I can never get rid of is ringing in my ears.  Honestly, I have no idea of how I got this (tinnitus) as I have not really ever listened to super loud music, at least not extensively. My suggestion is to not be so eager to jam out at a really high level.  You may be paying for that for the rest of your life. Believe me when I say that it is a serious bummer to hear a constant ringing.

Sorry for the rant.  I would just hate for someone else to be plagued with tinnitus.

Other than that - go get you some speakers you like and have fun!

Taterworks

« Reply #86 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:28 am »
I've got Nightwish's latest album, Dark Passion Play, and I can definitely say that it's some of the most demanding material I've ever thrown at my system. I can tell you right now that 2-ways need not apply. You need resolution, dynamics, and low distortion, and no two-way I've ever heard can give you the first two without compromising the third.

Since you're coming from Geddes Nathan speakers, I'm not so sure how this would compare, but the Daber Audio Monitor 8 would fit the bill if your room and budget are not extremely large. It's got a cast-frame aluminum-cone midbass, an aluminum dome midrange, and a planar tweeter, and when paired with the right subwoofer(s!) and plenty of power, you should be able to hear Nightwish as it was intended in a small to medium space. In larger spaces, you might want to step up to three-way horns like the JBL Project Array 1400, with their large 15" woofer, and horn-loaded compression mid and tweeter drivers.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #87 on: 26 Apr 2011, 11:36 am »
You need resolution, dynamics, and low distortion, and no two-way I've ever heard can give you the first two without compromising the third.

Which two-ways have you heard ?

D.D.

wagnju

« Reply #88 on: 26 Apr 2011, 05:19 pm »
As for the 2 way speaker system , my son has a pair of Wharefedale 8.2 active speakers fed by his PC via an Emotiva DAC , for the money these speakers sound great especially for his type of music :roll: but I wouldn't use it in my main system to hear to the abbove mentioned Nightwish album

just an update :
I'm in the process of finishing the V2 but had the opportunity to audition a pair of VMPS RM30 last week during a business trip  . I was stunned by these speakers sound quality  :drool: . They were supported by a pair of NHT subs and were running on older Harman gear. These speakers sounded so awesome in a similar sized room than mine , without any room treatments , cable or snakeoil gimmicks . Unfortunately they were a little too big for handluggage on my flight home , but nice size for a medium sized room , otherwise I would have taken them home for a listening session on my gear in my room !? I think I found one candidate that would fit my taste if the V2 don't work out for me .
Anybody else had experience with the VMPS RM30 or something similar ?
thanks
best regards
Juergen

jackman

« Reply #89 on: 26 Apr 2011, 05:46 pm »
I've seen some crazy deals on VMPS speakers lately.  They are still out of this guy's price guidelines I think but they are awesome speakers.  For Rock or any kind of music.  RM30's are darned good.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #90 on: 26 Apr 2011, 05:50 pm »
Which two-ways have you heard ?

D.D.
you mean which two-ways haven't you heard?   :wink:  tho, in fairness, i believe an outboard sub system should be used w/all speaker systems, even if not set up for "hardrock", which means most any system will be more than 2-way...

i can say this, re: using an actively crossed over subwoofer system - in a 26x38x8.5 room, w/a pair of positively tiny proac tablette 8 reference signatures, crossed over to a pair of vmps larger subs at 80hz, it could blast you out of the room w/clean hi-spl music, regardless of music type...   8)

doug s.

wagnju

« Reply #91 on: 26 Apr 2011, 08:15 pm »
I agree on the subs , but  can't comment on the ProAc speakers.
I have had a NHT XDs active system with 2 small standmounted 2-way speakers , 2 amplified subs and dsp controlled crossover which combines a DEQX processor with a 4-channel PowerPhysics Class-D amplifier. A lot of hype , good reviews , a $7000 system .
Nice , but nothing for my music taste. To harsh in the highs , wasn't filling the room with music , the chapter , small standmounted 2 way monitors , is closed for me since this adventure with the NHT . And yes , I played about 2 weeks with them , trying to tweak and position the setup, tested different preamps ( SS, Tube , ...) without any success before I sold it again.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 01:48 am by wagnju »

tesseract

« Reply #92 on: 28 Apr 2011, 11:36 am »
I know this is a bit off topic and I do not want to be preachy at all but....... I am a very healthy 40 year old guy and take care of myself through exercise and diet. The problem is that one thing I can never get rid of is ringing in my ears.  Honestly, I have no idea of how I got this (tinnitus) as I have not really ever listened to super loud music, at least not extensively. My suggestion is to not be so eager to jam out at a really high level.  You may be paying for that for the rest of your life. Believe me when I say that it is a serious bummer to hear a constant ringing.

Sorry for the rant.  I would just hate for someone else to be plagued with tinnitus.

Other than that - go get you some speakers you like and have fun!

I have this too. It is pretty common. My hearing is checked annually and it is still very good, but the ringing is there. There is a dip around 4k Hz, that is the tinnitus I suspect. This year is a little worse, and I am pretty sure it was from getting too crazy for too long with the volume one night, when I had a few too many. Alcohol blunts your hearing, that is why some drunks talk loudly. I now keep an SPL meter by the couch.

Cloudbaseracer, head and neck injuries can also be the cause of tinnitus. I have those, too.   :roll:

kingdeezie

« Reply #93 on: 28 Apr 2011, 01:41 pm »
I've got Nightwish's latest album, Dark Passion Play, and I can definitely say that it's some of the most demanding material I've ever thrown at my system. I can tell you right now that 2-ways need not apply. You need resolution, dynamics, and low distortion, and no two-way I've ever heard can give you the first two without compromising the third.

Since you're coming from Geddes Nathan speakers, I'm not so sure how this would compare, but the Daber Audio Monitor 8 would fit the bill if your room and budget are not extremely large. It's got a cast-frame aluminum-cone midbass, an aluminum dome midrange, and a planar tweeter, and when paired with the right subwoofer(s!) and plenty of power, you should be able to hear Nightwish as it was intended in a small to medium space. In larger spaces, you might want to step up to three-way horns like the JBL Project Array 1400, with their large 15" woofer, and horn-loaded compression mid and tweeter drivers.

Talk about a sweeping generalization....

I have GR Research Line Arrays with Bill Baker custom outboard crossovers; they are two ways.

I have resolution, dynamics, and low distortion in excess. I listen to a lot of rock and metal, and with my Manley Neo Classic 250s, these speakers sound amazing.

All for a lowly two-way.

wagnju

« Reply #94 on: 28 Apr 2011, 03:08 pm »
 :wave: :wave: :wave:  pictures  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
say more than thousand words and are very helpful too  :drool:

richidoo

« Reply #95 on: 28 Apr 2011, 04:42 pm »
Legacy Focus speakers are the best I have heard for rock, and great for big classical music too. They also play small music and they play well at low volume with plenty of bass. I think the reason they sound good on rock is they have the full lower mids that feel ballsy and solid. Plus clean bass <20Hz. That makes male voices and guitars feel powerful. The newest version (HD or SE) is a bit cleaner treble and more balanced bass, but old ones like 2020 are still serious head bangers, very satisfying music makers, on any kind of music. Just add a strong 100W+ SS amp.
Rich

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #96 on: 28 Apr 2011, 05:45 pm »
richidoo- when you say "Legacy Focus" speakers, are you (I'm asking because I'm not familiar with ???) saying older models (Legacy) of Focus brand speakers??? I'm still new and I don't know what speakers your talking about???

toddbagwell

« Reply #97 on: 28 Apr 2011, 06:09 pm »
I think this is the right link:
http://www.legacyaudio.com/

If i had not been able to get my GR Research line sources (long story), I likely would have picked up the Focuses.

Todd

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #98 on: 30 Apr 2011, 06:39 am »
you mean which two-ways haven't you heard?   :wink:  tho, in fairness, i believe an outboard sub system should be used w/all speaker systems, even if not set up for "hardrock", which means most any system will be more than 2-way...

doug s.

Lowly two-way PMC's in the house, Doug. Got bass? Yes. Yes I do.. For me the sub(s) would be too much but YMMV.

D.D.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #99 on: 30 Apr 2011, 09:18 am »
Quote from: doug s. on 26 Apr 2011, 12:50 PM:

doug s.

Quote from: Diamond Dog on Today at 01:39 AM:
    Lowly two-way PMC's in the house, Doug. Got bass? Yes. Yes I do.. For me the sub(s) would be too much but YMMV.

D.D.
hey d.d., i think maybe you did not understand me - i wasn't referring to what speakers you may or may not have heard; i was referring to the question you asked taterworks, cuz he obviously hasn't heard 2-ways that can do bass.   :wink:  i'm w/you - i think many 2-ways can do bass.  and while i have never heard pmc's, i would love to; many folks speak highly of them.   

my comment about subs, tho, is my belief that, even if your speakers are flat to 20hz, crossing them actively to subs will relieve them and their amps of the duty to handle any signal below 60-80hz, will allow better room integration, and will result in a better overall presentation...

doug s.