Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!

GT Audio Works

Re: Hmmm, nothing like a slab of ribs!
« Reply #100 on: 19 May 2013, 07:10 pm »
Ok all this rib talk has made me chime in....Sure ribs are great..Pork being my choice.
But they are not your spur of the moment meat to prepare when its 6pm and your wondering what to make for dinner.
For those occasions when I need a pork fix fast I turn to Rib End boneless.
It's a cheap meat as pork goes...a nice sized piece for a family of 5 is about $8...it comes sliced like ribs half way thru,
has a nice fatty back for tenderness and flavor. I prep it with salt & pepper and coat it in flour.
heat a skillet with some olive oil and place fat side down on med high heat to sear it and crisp it.
When I turn it over I add thick sliced garlic cloves around the sides of the pan to sauté in the oil and juices..don't burn em!
Let the other side cook on a lower heat ,let it rest ..slice thin and pour the drippings and sauteed garlic over the top.
My choice for a veg is sauteed asparagus or broccoli Rabe ..a piece of good Italian bread or rice your choice of wine and dig in !!

roscoeiii

« Reply #101 on: 19 May 2013, 07:19 pm »
Not set up to grill or smoke my own ribs right now. But for any Chicagoans reading: Check out Uncle John's for ribs and hot links. Cash only, take out only. And you will want to drive, since it isn't in a great neighborhood (to put it lightly). Best I have had in Chicago. Slays anything on the North Side. And don't let folks send you to Lems of Barbara Ann's on the South Side. Decidedly inferior.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #102 on: 19 May 2013, 07:24 pm »
GT - I've never heard of "rib end boneless". Is that at the end of the rib, down by the stomach?
That's getting into the bacon territory.

Oh, Jerry, on the rub thing.....I've made my own simple rubs before. "Good enough", I suppose. I gave some of the BBQ competition guys that sell their rub a try. Yea, they're better than my simple ones. As they should be. But I didn't think they were "culinary horizon widening amazing", spices.
I think next time I'll try making my own, something more extravagant than I have in the past.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #103 on: 19 May 2013, 07:41 pm »
I think next time I'll try making my own, something more extravagant than I have in the past.

Kind of like your bad ass stereo system?  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #104 on: 19 May 2013, 07:47 pm »
 :rotflmao: Thanks Jerry.
Yea.... for my rib rub to compare to the HT room it would be something like:
"One part Ghost Pepper Dust, one part Scotch Bonnet Pepper essence........."   :icon_twisted:

By the way, I bought my rubs at "BigPoppaSmokers".
If you spend over $40 in rubs, the shipping is free.

roscoeiii

« Reply #105 on: 19 May 2013, 08:31 pm »
$40 in rub sounds like a lot of rub. Either that or I haven't priced rubs lately.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #106 on: 19 May 2013, 08:39 pm »
Depends on how frugal a shopper you are. Most were between $6 and $12 for about a pound or so of rub.
One pound of rub will do me about 25-28 pounds of pork butt (3-4 butts), with enough left over for extra table seasoning.

If you're doing ribs, you could to a LOT of ribs for a pound of spices.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #107 on: 19 May 2013, 09:11 pm »
GT - I've never heard of "rib end boneless". Is that at the end of the rib, down by the stomach?
That's getting into the bacon territory.

Oh, Jerry, on the rub thing.....I've made my own simple rubs before. "Good enough", I suppose. I gave some of the BBQ competition guys that sell their rub a try. Yea, they're better than my simple ones. As they should be. But I didn't think they were "culinary horizon widening amazing", spices.
I am not sure where the cut is from...maybe they call it something else out your way. But it is labeled Rib End Boneless
I like it better than a center cut...darker meat runs down each side...possibly closer to bacon territory like you said...makes it much tastier in my opinion and since its flatter it cooks quickly.  Greg

rooze

« Reply #108 on: 19 May 2013, 09:22 pm »
I am not sure where the cut is from...maybe they call it something else out your way. But it is labeled Rib End Boneless
I like it better than a center cut...darker meat runs down each side...possibly closer to bacon territory like you said...makes it much tastier in my opinion and since its flatter it cooks quickly.  Greg

They call those 'Country Style Ribs' around here (NE WI), they're my favorite pork cuts for throwing together a quick meal...nice and tender in around 45 mins.
I make my own rubs by smoking tomato and hot peppers (Conga, Trinidad Scorps etc) then running them in the food dehydrator overnight. It fills the house with eye-watering toxic fumes that make it hard to breath, but you get used to it after a while.. :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #109 on: 19 May 2013, 09:22 pm »
Thanks for the pic. I'll check those out next time I'm in the store.
Curious where they came from, I check out < THIS PAGE >. Scroll almost all the way down the page to:
7.6 BACK RIBS: refers to the ribs with adhering meat obtained from the RIB HALF or RIB END of the LOIN

I guess that's it? Closer to the spine than the belly (bacon).

GT Audio Works

« Reply #110 on: 19 May 2013, 09:33 pm »
Yes..I have also seen them labeled  "country style"

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #111 on: 19 May 2013, 11:53 pm »
country style ribs are not ribs but sliced pork butt.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #112 on: 20 May 2013, 01:19 pm »
country style ribs are not ribs but sliced pork butt.
I guess they label it rib end or country style because pork butt doesn't sound appetizing.
Don't care what u call it... just don't call me late for dinner !!

TrungT

« Reply #113 on: 24 May 2013, 02:02 am »
 :thumb:

TrungT

« Reply #114 on: 24 May 2013, 02:03 am »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #115 on: 24 May 2013, 02:15 am »
Oh yea.......  8)

Technique....???

TrungT

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #117 on: 24 May 2013, 03:10 am »
Nice.   :D

Great looking recipe there. I might cut down on the salt, (even thought I"m a salt-o-holic).
But I'll be bookmarking that one for the future.
Glad to see usage of the _-_-_ format for smoking ribs.  :thumb:

How did you like them? Thought? Room for improvement?
Bob

TrungT

« Reply #118 on: 24 May 2013, 03:21 am »
I did cut down the salt, but going to cut down even more to teaspoon next batch, and might add little more brown sugar.
I did add the chicken broth on the foil part, made the meat moist, add a nice taste to the ribs.
Over all, I'm very please with the rubs and the way it turned out.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #119 on: 24 May 2013, 03:38 am »
Good deal Trung. Nice to see a guy *not* follow directions, and choose his own path.
Well done Sir.  :wink:

Bob