Room remodel project finished (Previously System and room down for a few weeks)

arthurs

I recently started a complete tear down and remodel of my room, so my system has been put away for storage and we'll be in construction for around 5 weeks total.  I've hired an acoustic engineer and am very excited about what we're building, but I've learned a few things in the past couple of weeks with no system or room....

1 - It turns out that woman that lives downstairs is pretty cool and I'm actually married to her!  :D

2 - Those kids that live downstairs are mine too, and we like hanging out and doing stuff together!

3 - It's light outside during the daytime on the weekend, and there are stars in the sky at night....you can do stuff outside that is fun!

4 - I really miss my system and I miss the enjoyment it brings me a lot...

5 - Construction takes a long time if you keep upgrading and changing things as you go...

6 - My car stereo isn't as bad as I thought...

8 - The waiting IS the hardest part...who knew Tom Petty was right?

9 - I'll do a better job balancing my life once my room and system are back on line....it's been unexpected to learn how much of my time this hobby occupies, it's nice to have some back...
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2010, 12:00 am by arthurs »

kyyuan

Re: System and room down for a few weeks...
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:19 pm »
Nice thoughts...

What about the time you gained to spend with that "special" someone road-tripping to Austin?  You would've missed that were it not for your room-upgrade.   aa

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:23 pm »
Wow....   

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:55 am »
Perfect timing..... :duh:

Oh well.....stop over at Jeff's....his system will be playing... :D

Captain Humble

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:40 am »

The Wolfman is here now and we're spining tunes. :dance:
Art, you have a standing invitation.
Give me a shout and we'll make sure the beer is cold when you get here.
We'll be listening till Friday morning, then off to RMAF. :hyper:

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:17 am »
Hey Captain Humble & Lonewolf

don't get to  burnt out before RMAF Drink a couple for me.

Ed

Captain Humble

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2009, 02:29 pm »
Hey Captain Humble & Lonewolf

don't get to  burnt out before RMAF Drink a couple for me.

Ed

Ed, just saw your post.  I throughly enjoyed the time I got to spend with you and Paul at RMAF.  Hope we can all make it again next year. :thumb:
Jeff

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2010, 09:08 am »
Art....

Is your room finished yet ?  :scratch:

Got photo's ? :eyebrows:

Thanks..... :thumb:

edit....Found photo's....cool..... :beer:

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2010, 12:39 pm »
Thanks Chris and Trung, we're pretty pleased here with how the project turned out sonically and visually,  We worked with Jeff Hedback of HdAcoustics.net and he led the design effort while our contractor did the incredible work that came out so beautifully.  I cannot recommend Jeff highly enough if you have a project coming up...

Here's some pictures...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Holy Crap!    That's friggin' AMAZING!

arthurs

Holy Crap!    That's friggin' AMAZING!

Thanks, we're pretty happy with it!   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

Thanks Art....it's even better than before....and that "look" was amazing..... :thumb:

(photos that Capt.Humble took in 2007...)

Happy listening !!!! :beer:

mcgsxr

Nice, is that a Stressless I see there?

arthurs

Nice, is that a Stressless I see there?

It sure is, I have a Spirit and a Vegas....   :thumb:

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
Hi Art,

Man that room looks incredible and the system too! I hope to come over sometime for a listen :eyebrows: I could bring over some fun stuff, elrod power cord, playback designs cd player :D

Scott

ebag4

Incredible room Art!  I feel the tension washing away just looking at the pics  :thumb:.

I like the way you handled the front wall.  Is the faux wall for asthetics only or does it serve an acoustic function?

Best,
Ed

edit: Reading the caption in your gallery I see it is part of the acoustic treatment, very cool!
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2010, 06:44 pm by ebag4 »

Jeffrey Hedback

• Industry Participant
  • Acoustical Design & Consulting
    • Acoustical Design & Consulting
Hello Art,

Art mentioned that this question came up: front wall acoustic or aesthetic...

I am the acoustical designer who was very furtunate to work with a client as focused as Art.

Back to the question: both.  Primary function is acoustical to control the omni-directional low frequency energy from speakers that otherwise "damages" the harmonic series in first two octaves...the result affects the entire listening spectrum.  We of course want the speakers to couple in positive manner and create that great, robust yet tight low frqeuency response...we do not want mush and phasey low end that is often attributed soley to speaker...when it is often the speaker IN ROOM. 

Now in Art's case this wall is actually and multi-tiered diaphragmatic trap...where specific (yet simple) use of cavity depth, face material and insulation are targeting the first order "Y" axial mode, the second order "Y" axial mode, the speaker boundary interference null based on original speaker location and then a more general upper bass absorption (around 125 Hz).  The wall is finished with 1/4" drywall which keeps mid and high frequency energy in the room so it feel "typical" and not "studio". 

As highly engineered as these systems are, I intentionally made them "forgiving" systems that are modestly damped and intended to work together.  They are in relation to corner located passive traps, the room dimensions and the room volume.

A more offcial case study of Art's room is coming...I'd be glad to answer specific questions.

ebag4

Hello Art,

Art mentioned that this question came up: front wall acoustic or aesthetic...

I am the acoustical designer who was very furtunate to work with a client as focused as Art.

Back to the question: both.  Primary function is acoustical to control the omni-directional low frequency energy from speakers that otherwise "damages" the harmonic series in first two octaves...the result affects the entire listening spectrum.  We of course want the speakers to couple in positive manner and create that great, robust yet tight low frqeuency response...we do not want mush and phasey low end that is often attributed soley to speaker...when it is often the speaker IN ROOM. 

Now in Art's case this wall is actually and multi-tiered diaphragmatic trap...where specific (yet simple) use of cavity depth, face material and insulation are targeting the first order "Y" axial mode, the second order "Y" axial mode, the speaker boundary interference null based on original speaker location and then a more general upper bass absorption (around 125 Hz).  The wall is finished with 1/4" drywall which keeps mid and high frequency energy in the room so it feel "typical" and not "studio". 

As highly engineered as these systems are, I intentionally made them "forgiving" systems that are modestly damped and intended to work together.  They are in relation to corner located passive traps, the room dimensions and the room volume.

A more offcial case study of Art's room is coming...I'd be glad to answer specific questions.

Jeff,
Thanks for signing up and clarifying the use of the floating wall, much appreciated.  The room looks fantastic, I'm certain it sounds great as well.

Best,
Ed 

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Beautiful stuff.  The Ekornes chair is the sweetest touch.