GTG invitation for australian audio circle.

Mr Content

Re: GTG invitation for australian audio circle.
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2009, 05:08 am »
Well guys, how was it? We need your opinions of what you heard, and how it all went, Again sorry we missed it.

Mr C :D

terry j

« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2009, 09:03 am »
Hey Mr C

the boys made it (todd and john)

Todd stayed a night testing his new tent, was pretty cold IIRC!

He managed to snaffle the sweet spot for a track or two....before I blew my tweeter up! (have not the faintest what happened, and at the end of the day it does not matter the reason, only that there was silence from then on out).

He can, if he wishes, post any comments he wants.

I rang John to let him know that the speakers were out of commission (owed him that much at least) and to his credit he still came out on a friendship gig.

I get the idea I overwhelmed him slightly, but plenty of other great blokes around to compensate!

So, thank heavens that there were the other systems around as well.

All in all, more of a bbq type gtg than an audio gtg due to murphy...think he had a 'law' named after him!

A great weekend, and I really would like to thank todd and john for making the effort, thanks guys.

JohnR

« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2009, 10:19 am »
Hey Terry - I had a really fun afternoon. Thanks! I'll get there earlier next time... :oops: Good luck with the tweeter repair/replacement. Todd - good to meet you too... after all this time again :)

Nig - you just had to be there :) :) I did listen to my first ever 45 amp - 1.8 watts - made by Earle Weston.

Mr Content

« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:26 am »
Hey Mr C

the boys made it (todd and john)

Todd stayed a night testing his new tent, was pretty cold IIRC!

He managed to snaffle the sweet spot for a track or two....before I blew my tweeter up! (have not the faintest what happened, and at the end of the day it does not matter the reason, only that there was silence from then on out).

He can, if he wishes, post any comments he wants.

I rang John to let him know that the speakers were out of commission (owed him that much at least) and to his credit he still came out on a friendship gig.

I get the idea I overwhelmed him slightly, but plenty of other great blokes around to compensate!

So, thank heavens that there were the other systems around as well.

All in all, more of a bbq type gtg than an audio gtg due to murphy...think he had a 'law' named after him!

A great weekend, and I really would like to thank todd and john for making the effort, thanks guys.

Thanks terry sorry to hear about your tweeter,.........mine has blowen too.............hehehe. Sorry we missed it, I will finally finish the job tomorrow, if it was this weekend we would be fine. :lol:

Mr C

Mr Content

« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:28 am »
Hey Terry - I had a really fun afternoon. Thanks! I'll get there earlier next time... :oops: Good luck with the tweeter repair/replacement. Todd - good to meet you too... after all this time again :)

Nig - you just had to be there :) :) I did listen to my first ever 45 amp - 1.8 watts - made by Earle Weston.

Hey John, I have a couple of friends with earls 300b amps, and they love them. He seems to be able to create a very good product. Next time :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2009, 09:55 am »
Nig - good to hear. Earle winds his own transformers, an impressive effort indeed. As much as I'd like a 45 amp it's probably not the wisest move for me at this point so his triode-connected EL34 amp looks like the best candidate. I just need a couple of clear-headed days to think about it.

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #26 on: 15 Oct 2009, 04:47 am »
Hey Guys, sorry,  havent been able to reply properly sooner, my bad
Hey MC, the week end was great, I have to say that you missed out.
Hey Tez, yeah, the tent was great actually, wasnt that cold, slept like a baby and since it seems that down feathers block sound well enough that even the pitter patty of rain didnt bother me at all  :D
And Yeah, I can post a quick report for AC
The week end was great, great bunch of guys, gorgeous little part of the world, ate like carnivourous kings, talked all things audio, hard some awesome audio, found out about JAIB?s and Clunk moments, and of course talked a bit of fertilzer   :D
There were 3 audio rooms set up all set up with at least a halway between them, which was nice.
Room 1 was Terry?s room, featuring his ?franks?, fully active 3 driver, 3 way system, featuring an 18, a 6? mid and soft dome tweeter (god rest its soul  :cry:  ). The room featured a bass trap, diffusers and lots of damping. This was possibly the best sound system that I have ever heard (and I have heard the the Steinways!). Personnally I would love to hear this system with a sub to fill in the first 15 Hz ( but hey that would be my choice). Even seeing the in room frequency response featuring basically nothing below 30 Hz, is was incredible! Had everything you could want or need, volume like it wanted to be driven hard, dynamics like a slap in the face,  Claririty like a open window, and bass that (never mind the walls and floor) had the leather on the couch moving and drool running down my chin! I cant remember what I was listening to or what the instrument was, but somehow it was playing  (obviously too!) in the seat next to me. What more can I say, F*cking awesome! It was a tragedy to have a the tweeter die on us for some as yet unknown reason   :( Oh yeah, and can someone explain to me how a speaker that has a natural roll-off at 70Hz, can be boosted to get flat to 30 Hz, be some 25 or so dB?s down at 20Hz and still be the most incredible bass you have ever expirienced????????
Room 2, (as I understand it) was a commercial prototype system, so I dont know what i should or can say about it, but a very fun system , that was was a very interesting and impressive set up!
Room 3 was my first taste of Valve amps and single driver rear loaded horns. A very very nice sound at low levels , but didnt have the volume or chrispness that I would personally prefer. Not sure if either the valves or the Horns are for me. There was also some (I think) vintage Tanoys, which were in the process of restoration. Fantatstice to expirience a few new things :)
Yeah, John, it was good to finally show u that I eventually found out about the forum that you told me about that night   :)
All up, well worth the drive and I hope there are more GTG?s around Sydney in the future
Thanks again to Terry for the invite and to all who were involved for a great time.

terry j

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:44 am »

The week end was great, great bunch of guys, gorgeous little part of the world, ate like carnivourous kings, talked all things audio, hard some awesome audio, found out about JAIB?s and Clunk moments, and of course talked a bit of fertilzer   :D

Well, that just about sums up a gtg!! Truly guys, it's worth the effort, if only for the BS!!! (plenty of that when I put one on heh heh)

So, about time for more aussie circle gtg's I say.

There were 3 audio rooms set up all set up with at least a halway between them, which was nice.
Room 1 was Terry?s room, featuring his ?franks?, fully active 3 driver, 3 way system, featuring an 18, a 6? mid and soft dome tweeter (god rest its soul  :cry:  ). The room featured a bass trap, diffusers and lots of damping. This was possibly the best sound system that I have ever heard (and I have heard the the Steinways!). Personnally I would love to hear this system with a sub to fill in the first 15 Hz ( but hey that would be my choice). Even seeing the in room frequency response featuring basically nothing below 30 Hz, is was incredible! Had everything you could want or need, volume like it wanted to be driven hard, dynamics like a slap in the face,  Claririty like a open window, and bass that (never mind the walls and floor) had the leather on the couch moving and drool running down my chin! I cant remember what I was listening to or what the instrument was, but somehow it was playing  (obviously too!) in the seat next to me. What more can I say, F*cking awesome! It was a tragedy to have a the tweeter die on us for some as yet unknown reason   :( Oh yeah, and can someone explain to me how a speaker that has a natural roll-off at 70Hz, can be boosted to get flat to 30 Hz, be some 25 or so dB?s down at 20Hz and still be the most incredible bass you have ever expirienced????????

Steinways.. scmeinways...only a bloody piano hahah!

hey cheers Todd. For the record, phl 18's (7030), phl mids 6.5 inch (1360) and, well forget the tweeters eh! Dead and buried.

New ones on the way from madisound. The old ones had NO markings on it at all, tho I strongly suspect they were the mdt 37's. Pretty sure they are no longer available, so in any case I went for **better** ones-read more expensive-so finger crossed that they ARE indeed better yeah!

So what happened to the tweets?? well we kinda decided on the day that they may have had a dc surge of some sort...well others decided that, me? I was too bloody numb to decide much at all!! hahaha.

Think I walked around in some sort of fog for the rest of the weekend, you know, 'why the hell does it do it THIS weekend' type stuff!

I did remember on the mon that I have always had a cap in series on the tweets, so dc cannot be the cause. Must have been 'one of those things sent to try us..and make us insane'.

Dunno if you caught Mr C's thread about 'favorite bass driver' thread Todd, but yeah the stuff you described was what I went over in there.

there is just *something* about these bass drivers (well, when run by the deqx that is). As you observed, and I mentioned in that thread, the 'response' does not look anything impressive does it. Well, it is nice and flat, but basically forget anything under 35 hz.

But, having said that......

So WHAT is it about this bass?? I find it such an interesting question, and really it is NOT hi fi as anyone traditionally understands that term, it is something far beyond that.

BTW, you prob didn't see them (I showed John), but I have had subs in the system (eight*ten inch drivers) and had flat to 13 hz in the room. I hated it tbh! As I only use it for 2 ch, ...there is something very 'unmusical' about being shaken. Took em out, and just enjoy what I have. Yeah, for sure, sometimes you know there is a bit missing down low but at the end of the day, I'd rather this cohesiveness and impact than a bit of shaking in the seat.

All personal choice of course, so your point is completely fine.

I am reasonably sure the track you heard was 'discipline' from NIN. Can I admit to a slight chuckle at your response when that track started up?? (the standard response BTW)

Well, I couldn't hear what you said over the volumes we played that track at, but applying my basic lip reading skills I could make out the word that rhymes very closely with 'BUCK!'

In the end, this years 'innovation' of a number of systems thru the house worked really well I think, so am pretty confident that will happen again.

As I said, it means I don't have to listen to audiophile crap!! hahaha.

(and helps if one blows up no?)

Thanks again to Terry for the invite and to all who were involved for a great time.

At the end of the day, it is the sum of the people that come that makes it really. Well, ok, fair point, having a fantastic host helps hahaha, but yeah, gtg's are a blast.

So why not a few more on the aussie circle??

Anyway, to wrap up, thanks to todd and john for their effort, am really glad you enjoyed yourselves, and when the tweets are back up I'll let you know and...I kinda feel the need to apologise for that!..you are more than welcome to come out again and actually hear it this time!

Don't forget John, I'd really like to hear some well recorded string quartets on the franks. (and we can throw some mahler on for kicks too!)

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #28 on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:57 am »
Yeah, more GTG?s (don?t think my unit will work for more than 2 people though  :?)
(I so need to get me some sort of picture for the side of my posts!)
Well, not sure if we can discount a quarter of a million dollar speaker system just because its made by a piano company! Anybody else heard them and what did they think?
Hmmmmmm? cant personally imagine what a better tweeter might sound like, but, yeah, we can hope  :D
I did notice 2 sorry looking little sub boxes with a pair of 10?s in each of them collecting dust in a room near the kitchen, u should let me borrow them till u have a use for them!   :D
Hehe, yeah, that sounds something close to a word that was going through my head at the time!
No apologies required, stuff happens, and I am pretty sure most of us there experienced the show and hell, if it was still running, I may still be there listening!
Any way, thanks again  8)    (hey, that little dude is pretty cool!)

JohnR

« Reply #29 on: 17 Oct 2009, 07:53 am »
Hey Todd - you reminded me about those ribbon drivers you saw that night you were over here. And got me thinking. Well, I have a boxful of them, and I have an idea... maybe I can get something together... the pipecleaner special will live again  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

JohnR

« Reply #30 on: 17 Oct 2009, 09:37 am »
In the end, this years 'innovation' of a number of systems thru the house worked really well I think, so am pretty confident that will happen again.

Terry - that was truly awesome. Your family are very understanding/tolerant - please send them my thanks when you have a chance! (FWIW I'm hoping you are going to give me excuses/reasons to visit the folks in Kelso a bit more often...)

See you this weekend :)

terry j

« Reply #31 on: 18 Oct 2009, 01:25 am »

Terry - that was truly awesome. Your family are very understanding/tolerant - please send them my thanks when you have a chance! (FWIW I'm hoping you are going to give me excuses/reasons to visit the folks in Kelso a bit more often...)

See you this weekend :)

Yeah, it really DID work well no? What I mean is, tho it came in unbeleiveably handy cause I blew a tweeter, it would have been just as good if mine had stayed online all weekend.

What I personally like about it, is that it gives a chance for some (me for example) to hear completely different system set ups...and for that reason if MR c had made it with OB's in tow, well then we would have had a wider range to hear, which is gold!

One thing I have learned in my 'journey' is that there is NO one way to audio happiness, and for every system I hear that does not do what I need, well it might be a safe bet that they would think exactly the same about mine!

I would have been 'offended' once if someone heard my system and didn't say 'wow, the best I have ever heard'..or at least discounted them as an idiot!

But now, after exposure thru gtg's and meeting guys, I simply do not have that viewpoint at all, cause there are so many great systems out there.

(just thought I'd mention that, as it is an often unrecognised benefit of gtgs apart from the chinwag/social aspect)

Hahaha John, NO I will not pass on your thanks! It would mean so much more if YOU did it yourself...so you'd better get your arse out here again when I get it up and running again! :lol:

And yes, am really looking forward to this weekend.

Let's ignore the JAIBs and find out for ourselves eh?

Man, am I an idiot or what? :duh: :duh:

Just like this gtg, it never occurred to me (and you did not suggest it either John!) to invite any syd circle guys!

Due to the change in date, a few pulled out of sna (apart from the pathetic response anyway) so there are a few spots still available. (which would be good actually, there are only five confirmed which means I have to chip in the remainder as it was all down to me and my say so)

Hmm, may as well run up the flagpole this new opportunity for those interested in finding out rather than bleating on forums!

Will do that now.

Mr Content

« Reply #32 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:03 am »
Hey Todd - you reminded me about those ribbon drivers you saw that night you were over here. And got me thinking. Well, I have a boxful of them, and I have an idea... maybe I can get something together... the pipecleaner special will live again  :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

Ribbon tweeters?................tell me more, I used to have a pair of Decca ribbons for years, and loved them.

Mr Content

« Reply #33 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:19 am »

What I personally like about it, is that it gives a chance for some (me for example) to hear completely different system set ups...and for that reason if MR c had made it with OB's in tow, well then we would have had a wider range to hear, which is gold!

Next time, I will not only bring my OB's, but I will bring both of my 99kg subs..........look out, you may never want to listen to your own system again...........uh did I say that :thumb:

Mr C aa

JohnR

« Reply #34 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:21 am »
Ribbon tweeters?

Hah, Nig,  :nono: Actually mids. Who needs tweeters :-P

Terry - I'll be back, you can't get rid of me now, I know where you live  :icon_twisted:

terry j

« Reply #35 on: 18 Oct 2009, 03:46 am »

Next time, I will not only bring my OB's, but I will bring both of my 99kg subs..........look out, you may never want to listen to your own system again...........uh did I say that :thumb:

Mr C aa

Ah, yes you did!

That's fine, my phls just LUV to eat wannabe subs!

Oops, did I say that? :lol:

Mr Content

« Reply #36 on: 18 Oct 2009, 05:24 am »
Ribbon tweeters?

Hah, Nig,  :nono: Actually mids. Who needs tweeters :-P

Righton man...now you are talking.......no stinckin tweeters around here :thumb:

Mr Content

« Reply #37 on: 18 Oct 2009, 05:26 am »

Mr C aa

Ah, yes you did!

That's fine, my phls just LUV to eat wannabe subs!

Oops, did I say that? :lol:

Ah.... thems fighting words tezza. I will have to bring a CD that has blowen a few tweeters in its day, just to sort you out........hehehe :uzi:

oz_audio_todd

« Reply #38 on: 18 Oct 2009, 11:28 am »
WOH! Fella's, cant we all just get along?????
And MC, just be aware that Terry has almost 4 times more cone than you do :|

Mr Content

« Reply #39 on: 18 Oct 2009, 12:05 pm »
Hey Todd, its not how big your cone is, its what you do with it. hehehe all in good fun.  aa