Internet Radio on BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Internet Radio on BDP-1?
« Reply #120 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:29 pm »
I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  I'll add it to the list.

What is the bitrate that the radio stations use?  I was under the asumption that the bitrates were quite low and as such, hadn't really thought much about listening for any type of critical listening.

George

Hi George,

It is not going to compete wiith quality high resolution file playback but I find it good for casual listening through the BDP-1.  Most of the stations we include are at at 320kbs (best) to 256kbs.

james

TomS

« Reply #121 on: 16 Aug 2011, 04:39 pm »
As an alternative to streaming radio which determines the program, alliances with Genome/seeded or catalog based services such as Pandora, Spotify, and MOG would be really nice just for "casual listening" and/or music discovery. Some or these are  available on the Logitech Squeezebox platforms. Premium service usually gets you 320kbps which is often adequate for the purpose.

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #122 on: 16 Aug 2011, 10:37 pm »
I've used Shoutcast for many of the stations programmed into my Pioneer 1120.  The list was the second post in the thread:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=92285.0

Thanks, Phil. I saw your list, but didn't notice if you explained how a BDP-1 user gets a selected station on the BDP-1. Long before I joined AudioCircle, I pressed James on Internet radio, and made the point that with so many stations out there, and with users having so many different tastes, the only acceptable alternative is to find an easy way for users to make their own choices for getting stations added to their BDP-1 playlist. I'm delighted to see he has heard and heeded users.
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2011, 12:31 am by DaveNote »