OB2X info plus measurements

RAW

OB2X info plus measurements
« on: 8 Jun 2007, 04:43 am »
The design for the OB2X is done just getting the info ready for loading to the site, which will be in the next day :thumb:
A small open baffle speaker TMW uses the new XBL^2 M-130X drivers in a small compact 3 way design.
Standing 40" tall 8" wide and 7" deep.
Below is the test cabinets showing the size of them.But speaker size does not hamper the sound dynamics this small floor standers produces.
With the OB2X tuned to 50hz these will mate great with a sub yet you have a small open baffle speaker that is not over powering to locate in a room.

Yes a 3 way design.The design was made a 3 way to make use of the complete potential of the M-130X driver both as a midrange driver as well as a mid woofer and yet control the impedance.

Here is the data you all have been waiting for.

Frequency response

Frequency response above .Responses were taken at 1 meter
Impedance below  easy 8 ohm load

Off axis horizontal measurements (below)  are red (on axis) and orange, yellow, green and blue are 10, 20, 30, and 40 degrees off axis.Scale readings is in 5db increments notice the 40 degree off axis at 20k, the tweeter is down 4db.

Off axis vertical measurements (below) starts with red (on axis) orange, yellow, then green. Each measurement is a 4" vertical adjustment. taken at 1 meter.

Crossover points (below)

« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2007, 11:40 pm by RAW »

RAW

Re: OB2X info coming
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2007, 03:06 am »
The speaker kit for the OB2X just went up for $499.99 special promo for the first 10 orders flat pack (unassembled cabinets ) will cost $25.00 for the pair which just covers the cost of the shipping.Another words the first 10 orders can add flat pack cabinets for FREE.

All the data will be loaded tonight.

IronForge

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2007, 03:38 am »
Any pictures with the speakers/tweeter mounted?

How do these compare with the Rav1x and Rav6x?

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:05 am »
Clear mids with a wide presense to the OB2X and OB3X.

Were the RAV1X speaker has simialr sound quality but in a smaller box,but the mids are best from the OB2X and OB3X.

Now the RAV6X has just as low end response as the OB3X but not the detailed mids of the OB3X.But the ported designs can be more flexible depending on location of the speakers.
Open Baffles need area around them ,for them to work to the most potential.
Were the ported designs can be located closer to walls and fixtures but will not have the mid range that the OB2X and OB3X do.

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2007, 04:06 am »

Pictures are coming.

Any pictures with the speakers/tweeter mounted?

How do these compare with the Rav1x and Rav6x?

IronForge

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2007, 06:11 am »
How close to the wall can you place the open baffle models? One foot? Three foot?

And if it is close to the wall do you want to dampen right behind it?

RAW

Re: OB2X info plus measurements
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2007, 06:44 am »
Our small OB2X can go close to the wall about 1foot away as a min but would do better with room around them.The same applies with any open baffle not just the OB2X.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:13 pm »
$1 shipping and $25 box convinced me :)  I just placed an order for one pair, and am considering buying another.  Thanks for the great deal, and congrats to you and Danny on another successful design!

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2007, 10:38 pm »
Yea Al, get some pics up.

These speakers are as good in the mid range as anything I have ever heard. They are effortless and transparent with a sense of ease and openness that leave me speechless. Awesome little speakers!

RAW

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:19 pm »
Thanks for the comments of praise :green:
Yes both Danny and I have a very good feeling with these designs.The small design was the most important for me.I designed them based on the fact I wanted them to be a size that would fit into the market place were the larger open baffles are just to big.

$1 shipping and $25 box convinced me :)  I just placed an order for one pair, and am considering buying another.  Thanks for the great deal, and congrats to you and Danny on another successful design!

samplesj

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:21 pm »
Is there overlap between the 3 sonicap options?  It looks like the first is just a bypass for each stack, the middle is totally replacing all of the midranges (+ 1 plat) but none of the rest of the caps, and then the last is sonicaps across the board.

It seems like 1 and 2 overlap (plat bypass) and it seems that 2 and 3 overlap, but I'm not sure I'm interpreting it correctly.

I was hunting a more efficent speaker, but maybe I could switch out my av/3 from the den into that system and use something like this.  I'm still not sure, but I know that midrange dipole is VERY nice from my main system so this is interesting.

RAW

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:22 pm »
side view of the OB2X speakers

Photo of the OB2X and OB3X in front of Danny's place.These were the cabinets sent to him for the crossover designs.

RAW

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:38 pm »
Yes getting all the info up and edited this weekend.
Thanks for the info.

Now see if this helps, the stock OB2X and OB3X come with Erse caps and metal oxide resistors.

OB2,OB3 Sonicap upgrade 2 $185.00
Add this Sonicap capacitors with Mills resistors upgrade to your OB2X , OB3X speaker kit or speakers.
This upgrade if for the tweeter crossover plus a stacked midrange upgrade for the large poly cap on the midwoofer.This is our most economical upgrade for the OB2X,OB3X models.
With a Sonicap added to the large Erse on the midrange to make a cost effective upgrade for the midrange.This Sonicap is over 10% value of the capacitor value.I believe in the min of 10% Sonicap when stacking capacitors ,this stock crossover uses a 62uf Erse with a 12uf Sonicap and a GEN II bypass cap As well this upgrade is for the tweeter caps.More value here than 99% of the stock crossovers from others.

OB2X , OB3X Sonicap plus platinum mid upgrade $245.00
The next option is to make that mid cap 75uf a full sonicap stack.This upgrade uses 3-20uf Sonicap plus a 12uf Sonicap and topped off with a platinum bypass cap to equal a 75uf capacitor.This upgrade brings out the most out of the midrange as far as cost factor.

OB2X , OB3X Sonicap upgrade 3 $430.00
 Upgrade from Solen or Erse Poly capacitors to a crossover full upgrade with Sonicap capacitors plus Mills resistors for the tweeter and midrange crossovers.With this upgrade you get Mills resistors to replace the Metal Oxide resistors, then the midrange large capacaitor will have a stack 3-20uf caps plus a 12uf have a PLATINUM bypass cap added to this cap.The tweeter crossover will also have Sonicap capacitors and Mills resistors.
Last we top off ever cap value in the midrange and tweeter(less the large stack which has a platinum cap) with a Gen II bypass capacitor.

Offering the crossover options this way some people do not want to spend over$400.00 on Sonicaps and platinum bypass caps for the complete crossover.

The issue with 3 ways is the large caps is what costs the money in the crossover upgrade and we feel the stock is the best back for the buck.Over all the same goes for all our kits, but some come as a stock with sonicap and mills with just platinum bypass caps as a option.

Is there overlap between the 3 sonicap options?  It looks like the first is just a bypass for each stack, the middle is totally replacing all of the midranges (+ 1 plat) but none of the rest of the caps, and then the last is sonicaps across the board.

It seems like 1 and 2 overlap (plat bypass) and it seems that 2 and 3 overlap, but I'm not sure I'm interpreting it correctly.

I was hunting a more efficent speaker, but maybe I could switch out my av/3 from the den into that system and use something like this.  I'm still not sure, but I know that midrange dipole is VERY nice from my main system so this is interesting.

« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2007, 07:16 pm by RAW »

IronForge

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2007, 01:02 am »
I just got off the phone with you a little bit ago Al.

I ordered the 3 OB2X and 2 RAV1X for my home theater.  The OB2X will be for front and center speakers, the RAV1X will be for the surrounds.  When Danny released his SUB/PR combo I purchased one of those, which will be holding up the low end.  It has been working quite well for a year and a half.

The XBL^2 is mainly what was selling me on these kits.  Originally I was going to get 5 RAV1X kits, but it is hard for me to pass up the OB2X after the praise from Danny as well as the flat pack bonus!

RAW

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2007, 03:24 am »
Well John was the first to order so he got the black cabinets which were used for testing at GR for FREE.

Thanks for the first order John on the OB2X I think with all the combos we have talked about over the last week this one will suit you the best.

As far as the $1.00 cabinet flat packs when you order the kit for the OB2X the pile is going quick. aa

bushbison

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2007, 04:46 am »
Looks great Al; just got back from the cabin and am checking up on email, etc. ,,, no news from you yet??  :oops:
Take care  .... so many exciting products coming along right now .... can't wait!
-Jason

IronForge

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2007, 06:07 am »
Our small OB2X can go close to the wall about 1foot away as a min but would do better with room around them.The same applies with any open baffle not just the OB2X.

How about spacing between speakers.  Such as Left/Center/Right.

The wall behind the OB2X, should wall treatments be applied to it?  (not on the speaker but the wall itself)

klh

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:05 am »
Will these have magnetic grills?

RAW

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2007, 02:08 am »
No Grills.
We will be only offering the Flat pack as the PROMO after the promo we will not provide the flat packs any longer.

klh

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2007, 06:20 pm »
OK, too bad. A nice little incentive to buy, though.