OB2X info plus measurements

RAW

Re: OB2X info plus measurements
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jun 2007, 08:09 pm »
Well we are down to a single pair of the OB2X flat pack  :green:
Once this last pair of flat packs is sold with a kit ,we will not have the promo on the OB2X for the flat pack.All of the flat pack kits will be sold out.
Thanks to all of you who took advantage of the OB2X flat pack deal.

machine

« Reply #21 on: 12 Jun 2007, 09:46 pm »
Awesome deal! - Gotta stop reading these forums, gonna end up in the poor house!

Picked up 2 pair to go with my 3 RA-8's across the front.

Since even RAW's small monitors seem to be in the same price range, it seemed like a no brainer.

The fact that Danny thinks highly of them is another plus!

RAW

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jun 2007, 02:16 am »
Steven
Will be a very nice HT system once it is done.You have the room for them for sure.

We had a few more pair of the OB2X hidding.So we can fill a few more 5 cahnnel systems if others would like them.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 02:48 am by RAW »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jun 2007, 08:24 pm »
Well...it gets harder and harder to decide on a speaker with you guys! I'll be going to Denny's place (DayGlowOrange) at the end of this month to hear either a pair of OB-5's or OB-7's. At least then I'll have an idea of what Danny's designs are all about. After that, my budget will decide if I go for the O-3, OB-7, or OB2X since I need something to mate with my Adire Koda 10 inch subwoofers. They should all be okay to cross a sub at 50-70 hz. Sounds like the OB3X won't be as good of a match since it already has a 6 1/2 long throw woofer for the low end.

Fun, fun, fun.

Best,
Anand.

klh

« Reply #24 on: 16 Jun 2007, 06:06 pm »
Machine... please post pics and impressions when your speaker package is complete. OB speakers as surrounds should be really impressive. You'll have the raw SPL and impact up front and the diffuse surround behind... very nice :D.

machine

« Reply #25 on: 16 Jun 2007, 09:44 pm »
Right now it is awesome and I'm only running a pair of old Definitive Tech bp-2's for sides(5.1).

Current setup

Speakers: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1032&pos=7
Electronics: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1032&pos=6

Totally a "Getto" setup, really nice and cool during the summer.

Will eventually fix up the basment, no money to do so now....

Am thinking of doing some minor improvements in the interm.i.e. room treatments, possible switch to larger area in basement.

klh

« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2007, 05:15 pm »
You weren't kidding... man, that is ghetto ;). Hey, it works, sounds good and throws good picture. That's all that matters.

IronForge

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jun 2007, 01:26 am »
Received the two test cabinets today.  Nice packing by Danny.

Sat them next to my berkline theater chairs and the tweeter mount is right about ear level as is.  Waiting for the parts to arrive.  Can't wait to get these things hooked up.

klh

« Reply #28 on: 27 Jun 2007, 12:37 am »
Hey Al... does it matter if the baffle is not tapered in above the ribbon? I would imagine it probably has an affect on the response of the ribbon but just want to check.

IronForge

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2007, 02:28 pm »
Al,

What size roundover bit did you use on the test cabinets?  I am going to try to match the rest of the cabinets with the same roundover.  Thanks!

RAW

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2007, 11:36 pm »
Hey Al... does it matter if the baffle is not tapered in above the ribbon? I would imagine it probably has an affect on the response of the ribbon but just want to check.

Only on a vertical measurment will it effect with the taper of the section above the TM

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #31 on: 3 Jul 2007, 05:27 pm »
Sweet, got the flat pack and ribbon tweets today!  I wasn't expecting all the holes to be routed, even better!  I should have these cranking out tunes by tomorrow, already have the boxes together - the glue is drying.  I'll leave the back panel off though, will put it on after the crossver boards are mounted. 

I finally get to use these killer sheets of birds-eye maple I have, they have TONS of eye and some quilting.  I'm planning on veneering the whole thing, and putting a bevel edge on the front.  For finishing I think I want a semi-gloss finish this time, will probably do a few coats of tung oil and then put some poly over that. 

IronForge

« Reply #32 on: 3 Jul 2007, 08:46 pm »
I have all of my parts as well, except for the 12mH inductors which Al said shipped today.  Started to assemble the crossovers.  Will take some pictures, and when i'm a little farther along maybe start a contruction thread.  When everything is said and done I will post a review.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #33 on: 4 Jul 2007, 09:14 pm »
Just a word about my build progress - the cabinets are just so small and light, they almost feel like a toy, that I think they could really use some more weight to 'em.  So I put down 4 layers of roofing felt on all the interior walls, glued down with Green Glue.  That added probably 10-12 pounds per box, and will definately help with resonances.  I'm also going to make some sort of high mass base to attach to the boxes.  My bro-in-law works at a metal shop, I think I'll have him make some thick steel outrigger type bases :)

IronForge

« Reply #34 on: 5 Jul 2007, 04:37 pm »
Good idea on the felt.  Al do you think thick felt would work just as well as the open cell foam?

I finished a set of crossovers for the tweeter and the midrange and hooked them up.  They work!  Now I can do the rest the same way.  Al was great helping me with the questions I had about putting the crossovers together.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #35 on: 5 Jul 2007, 05:47 pm »
Good idea on the felt.  Al do you think thick felt would work just as well as the open cell foam?

The roofing felt isn't a replacement for open cell foam, it's like Dynamat - a high mass resonance damping layer.  I plan on putting a thick layer of foam over the roofing felt.

IronForge

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jul 2007, 06:13 pm »

The roofing felt isn't a replacement for open cell foam, it's like Dynamat - a high mass resonance damping layer.  I plan on putting a thick layer of foam over the roofing felt.

Ah ok.

RAW

« Reply #37 on: 5 Jul 2007, 11:54 pm »
Sounds good but really not needed.
With the cabinet the size it is and side wall panels only 4.5" long the frequency of resonating is not that bad of a issue.Now if the side panels were 10" I would agree but not 4.5".

But still a nice improvement over all.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #38 on: 6 Jul 2007, 01:21 am »
Sounds good but really not needed.
With the cabinet the size it is and side wall panels only 4.5" long the frequency of resonating is not that bad of a issue.Now if the side panels were 10" I would agree but not 4.5".

But still a nice improvement over all.

Well it definately won't hurt.  My main thinking is that the box is SO light and has such a small base, it could use some extra weight for stability.  The roofing felt and glue added approx 10 pounds, and will decrease resonances - whether or not they would have been at an audible level before.

Hey, check this out - I upped this to my gallery just for the heck of it, but want to see if this tweeter response looks right, it looks like it rolls off way before 1900hz like you guys say is the xover point.  The image shows Red = miswired crossover, and Green = tweeter crossover fixed.  But does that Green curve look right?

IronForge

« Reply #39 on: 6 Jul 2007, 02:35 am »

Hey, check this out - I upped this to my gallery just for the heck of it, but want to see if this tweeter response looks right, it looks like it rolls off way before 1900hz like you guys say is the xover point.  The image shows Red = miswired crossover, and Green = tweeter crossover fixed.  But does that Green curve look right?

What did you do to miswire the crossover?  Just to make sure I didn't make the same mistake :)