Does your Bryston amp hiss?

Fife

« on: 31 May 2004, 11:46 pm »
So I noticed while walking by my front speakers I hear an audible hiss when my equipment is on but no source is playing..

I have disconnected most of my components and found the following:
With CD source on, recevier on and amp on, there is a slight hiss from my speakers tweeter only when there is nothing playing. Once the amp is off, there is no hiss.

I am going to try one more thing tonight by just plugging in the Bryston to my speakers with no IC connected to my receiver and turning it on.

Anyone else hearing a hiss on their speakers.

Is this hiss the lowest noise level for my system?
Not too sure whats going on.

BeeBop

« Reply #1 on: 1 Jun 2004, 09:34 am »
When there is no source, my 3BSST does not hiss or make any other noise that I have been able to determine.

Levi

Re: Does your Bryston amp hiss?
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2004, 01:58 pm »
I think it's your pre-amp...

Quote from: Fife
So I noticed while walking by my front speakers I hear an audible hiss when my equipment is on but no source is playing..

I have disconnected most of my components and found the following:
With CD source on, recevier on and amp on, there is a slight hiss from my speakers tweeter only when there is nothing playing. Once the amp is off, there is no hiss.

I am going to try one more thing tonight by just plugging in the Bryston to my speakers with no IC connected to my receiver and turning it on.

Any ...

Fife

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2004, 02:55 pm »
I tried and heard the hiss again...very faint. The only things connected and on were now the Amp and speaker wires to speaker.
No interconnects from Pre connected at all.

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2004, 03:30 pm »
Fife,

I've also always heard hiss from my tweeter's but I've never taken the time to investigate. Next time I reconfigure my system I plan to do some tests.

What apeakers and amp do you have ?

Perhaps if you have ultra-sensitive speakers this is causing the problem ?

If you have an amp with switchable or variable gain (PRO model), perhaps you can adjust the gain and see if it affects the hiss ?

Ron D

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2004, 04:09 pm »
Bryston amp on by itself with no preamp on - no sound what-so-ever, dead quiet. Turned on my Rogue preamp and there was the hiss which increases as I increase the volume. Typical of tube gear and not surprising to me. Speakers are Tyler Linbrooks which aren't overly sensitive. If you've got hiss with only the amp on somethings going on...

Allezvite

Bryston Hiss
« Reply #6 on: 2 Jun 2004, 04:49 pm »
I also have some hiss from my speakers, but you have to get within 2 ft. to hear it and it disappears altogether when I mute my VTL TL2.5 tube preamp.

When I had my 3BSST plugged into a Chang Lightspeed 3200 line conditioner I heard what sounded like a bit of ground loop hum.  It also disappeared when I plugged the amp's AC right into the wall.

The amp on its own is VERY quiet, no hiss to speak of.

Hiss you can hear from your listening position is a problem.  If you can't hear it until unless your ear is up to the tweeter, I wouldn't worry.

Fife

« Reply #7 on: 2 Jun 2004, 04:51 pm »
I think its more of a paranoia thing. I can only hear the hiss when my head is very close.

Perhaps Jethro is correct. My speakers are more on the efficient side of 89db's.

jethro

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2004, 09:07 pm »
Quote from: Fife
I think its more of a paranoia thing. I can only hear the hiss when my head is very close.

Perhaps Jethro is correct. My speakers are more on the efficient side of 89db's.

They would probably have to be in the low to mid 90's before it was a sensitivity issue, but then again, I 'm no expert.

dvb

AVA trouble shooting chart
« Reply #9 on: 3 Jun 2004, 01:08 am »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=10503

Try this trouble shooting chart from the AVA site.

(My B60 never hissed; there is a slight hiss in the AVA gear, but then there are those pesky tubes)