Troubleshooting flow chart.

avahifi

« on: 17 May 2004, 12:10 pm »
http://www.avahifi.com/root/ordering_info/troubleshooting_flow_chart.htm

This might be useful to many of you.  I wrote it way back in 1987 but it is still current and correct.

Frank Van Alstine

dvb

I've found this useful
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2004, 08:36 pm »
I noticed a hum/buzz coming from both speakers.  Disconntected pre amp from amp -- no more problem.   So,  changed out unshielded silver IC (Bogdan Silver Spirit)  from preamp to amp for a shielded IC (Wireworld Equinox) and found the hum much reduced, but still slightly present (buzz in tweeter,  hum in mid driver)

There is a similar frequency hum coming fromt the pre (T7) when I hold my ear right  near it, so I suppose there could be some power supply hum up being picked up by the unshielded IC.

Sound from the listening position, regardless of which IC, is superb.  (I suppose I may invest a bit of time listening for differences)

avahifi

I admit, audiophlake voodoo changes the sound.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:25 pm »
Well I have always maintained that using exotic overpriced magic interconnects and speaker wires will change the sound of your system.  In your case it gave you that really musical and detailed hum and buzz, just wonderful.  Another common change is when someone uses a pipe wrench to tighten gonzo spade lugs onto speaker terminals and breaks then off.  That changes the sound of the system too.  As such a clever way to spend money on your audio system.

Most recent example was an amp that came back for repairs with a Boulder AC power cord installed -- ready to pull out the back and put lethal AC on the chassis -- when that kills you the sound will change too.

Yes I certainly do know that using audiophlake voodoo crap will change the way your audio system performs!!

Now to get rid of the rest of your hum and buzz how about a quick trip to Radio Shack for a set of well shielded interconnects?

Frank Van Alstine

dvb

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jun 2004, 01:55 pm »
Hi Frank,

I am assuming the Wireworlds are as well shielded as the Radio Shacks?  As it happens, I have a couple of sets of the Radio Shacks that I'm using downstairs.  I could give them a try.

Apart from the pre to amp IC,  there is only one other IC I can change -- I am still using a braided silver IC from  my DAC to T7.   I assumed that was not a problem, because the (very, very slight) hum is still there when the power to the DAC and transport is turned off.  However,  I will try a shielded IC in its place and see what happens.

The remaining IC is integral to the the tone arm, and should be pretty well shielded.

The fancy silvers are a holdover from the passive "pre" I was using before the T7 -- very low capacitance, so they had their role there.

John Trent

Re: I admit, audiophlake voodoo changes the sound.
« Reply #4 on: 1 Aug 2004, 01:49 pm »
Quote from: avahifi
Now to get rid of the rest of your hum and buzz how about a quick trip to Radio Shack for a set of well shielded interconnects?

Ah, but when we get to Radio Shack, do we buy the standard patch cables or spring for their Premium-quality Audio Patch Cables with double-shielded solid core cable and high-performance, gold-plated RCA phono plugs?  I suppose your flow chart already answers this with its reference to out of spec "gold" connections.

When friends have occasionally asked me to help troubleshoot their systems, I would take along some of the cables that came free with various components and some lamp cord to use as speaker wire.  Several times over the years that's been the only fix needed, and we always had fun systematically trying out their more exotic interconnects to find out which one(s) robbed the system of life.

guest1632

Re: Troubleshooting flow chart.
« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2004, 07:29 pm »
http://www.avahifi.com/root/ordering_info/troubleshooting_flow_chart.htm

This might be useful to many of you.  I wrote it way back in 1987 but it is Hi Frank, Since I am a blind person who can't see your chart, I'll just grab a quote from John Trent, "Ah, but when we get to Radio Shack, do we buy the standard patch cables or spring for their Premium-quality Audio Patch Cables with double-shielded solid
core cable and high-performance, gold-plated RCA phono plugs?" Now, what is wrong with gold contacts besides the expense?
Frank Van Alstine

Wayne1

Re: I admit, audiophlake voodoo changes the sound.
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2004, 04:09 pm »
Most recent example was an amp that came back for repairs with a Boulder AC power cord installed -- ready to pull out the back and put lethal AC on the chassis -- when that kills you the sound will change too

I wish to state the this MOD was not performed by the BOLDER Cable Company. Any work that is done by the BOLDER Cable Company does use correct strain relief on ANY type of power cable. The BOLDER Cable Company is NOT responsible for what end users do with our products. If The BOLDER Cable Company was INFORMED that a power cable that we sold was going to be used in a AVA product, we would have either provided a correctly sized strain relief or informed the end user where to obtain one.

We do NOT suggest that ANYONE who is uninformed in correct safety procedures attempt to do any work on ANY electronic or electrical equipment.

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2004, 11:50 pm »
I agree that it does not appear that this power cord was a factory installed thing.  I do recommend that any after market power cord supplier always supply an appropriate strain relief with his product for safety reasons.  I have seen some really unsafe unauthorized modifications done by end users to our equipment.  While we can't make unsafe do-it-yourself electrical work illegal, we can try and give the do-it-yourselfer all the help possible.

Please call us for our observations any time you are contemplating making after market changes to one of our products.

Frank Van Alstine