Got the Panasonic XR45 last night

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« on: 22 Jan 2004, 06:42 pm »
Just plugged it in and let it rip.  I was suprised it sounded as good as it did stock.  Sure, the mids were recessed, and it didn't have the dynamics I expected, but the mids and highs were quite smooth, although the highs were irritatingly forward and bright.

Not anywhere nearly as good sounding as the modded unit, as reported on here and here

So, straight out of the box a little underwhelming based on my expectations from the modded unit (very high), but we'll see how it does as it breaks in a bit.

maxwalrath

« Reply #1 on: 22 Jan 2004, 06:55 pm »
Another panasonic xr 45 thread, huh...well I'm probably going to bite in a few days so I'm all for it. Tyson, I thought you already had the modded version and had sold off all your stuff. If not, when are your mods getting done?

Tyson

« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2004, 07:03 pm »
Nope, there is only one modded unit in existence right now, and it is wayne's.  That's what I heard last week.  I'm not selling any of my gear off until I have the Panny I got last night fully modded.  I don't want to sell my stuff, then have to wait for the mods to be done, I hate being without music  :?

maxwalrath

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jan 2004, 07:10 pm »
I'm in the same boat...I'm going to have a tight window to get everything sold, I can't afford to have two of anything right now.

The idea of getting rid of two interconnects, being able to bi-amp the VMPS's with room for a sub, not having a D/A converter in the signal path, and getting a tuner to boot sounds too good to pass up.

Mathew_M

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jan 2004, 07:35 pm »
So how does it compare to the AVA gear out of the box?

Audi-O

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jan 2004, 08:10 pm »
You will find that the Panny unit changes quite a bit over time. One week wasn't a good representation even for my stock unit bought last November. Tyson, I doubt you will have a good indication of the stock unit in a weeks time.  I left mine on and heard changes for about three weeks I would estimate, but of course you hear different things with different recordings. Most notably the units soundstaging remains recessed for a good couple of weeks, once it opens up it is obvious that it was lacking. Highs benefit quite a bit also as does separation which I view as one of its biggest strengths for musicality. Bass was the about the only good thing I heard out of the box when compared to how the unit sounds today. I have yet to try it in "Party Mode". The modded unit must have been quite a treat.

maxwalrath

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2004, 08:24 pm »
It's hard to tell from the online manual, does the panasonic take spades as well as bananas at the speaker outs?

Tyson

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2004, 08:44 pm »
For the front 2 channels it does.  For the center and rears, it has el-cheapo "quick connect" spring clip type of connectors.  No place for a spade, and the hole is too small for banana's.  A real PITA.  Luckily wayne makes an adapter so that spades or banana's can be used.  I'm picking up a few shortly.

Code Chemist

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:36 pm »
Hi folks.  I'm a little new here, so please forgive this stupid question: who is Wayne? :(

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:45 pm »
Wayne is he who bringeth good sound from the tarpits of mass consumer manufacturing.

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:46 pm »
wayne as in john wayne-he's the sheriff of  upgrades- :lol:
wayne is the guy who owns bolder cable-a ac forum owner.

Code Chemist

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:50 pm »
Does Boulder Cable have a website? I'm "Googling" but I'm not pulling up anything.

Code Chemist

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:51 pm »
Oops..found it. Thanks!  :?

rosconey

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jan 2004, 10:51 pm »
go to circles and look for his a web hookup is at the bottom

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2004, 11:15 pm »
Wayne is he who bringeth good sound from the tarpits of mass consumer manufacturing.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Thank you, JohnR :D

The Panny SA-XR45 standard binding posts are not designed to accept spades. The stock connectors are for bare wire and bananas. You can wedge one side of a spade lug into the hole for bare wire, but the connection would not be the best.

I have built a few adaptors using 14 AWG NITRO wire connected to binding posts, so I could hook up the Panny in my HT. I used these when I brought the modded Panny over to Tyson's. If anyone here has interest in getting some of these, please drop me an e-mail, PM or post over in the BOLDER Cable circle.

Mathew_M

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:46 am »
I just picked up the XR25 from Circuit City.  It was an open box for $240.   Figured I'd get a taste of the pure digital sound.  If I don't like it I'll return it.

After 5 hours of break in:

The XR provides the cleanest and most detailed sound I've heard from my speakers.  I say speakers because I love how they have become the center of my system instead of just another component.  More on that in a second.  Mids and highs are smoother than my Le Amps (not saying much) yet are on the bright and forward side.  This is at higher volumes.  At lower volumes they sound just fine.  The speakers have dissapeared for the most part.  However I miss the tube bloom of my pre's that provide the inebriation and dimensionality of the music.  

Bottom line:  I can see within a year or two digital amps completely replacing Solid State.  They sound more natural, are smaller and lighter and provide a direct link between the source and your speakers.  It's a true paradigm of things to come.  I can see how good tube amps will always be in favor because of their exotic flavoring of music.  After plugging the XR in and dumping all the rest of the unnecessary cables and components away, I immediately experienced the gratification of technology.  My room is cleaner and by focusing less on components the music to me sounds clearer.  

Now a couple of questions.

Whats the difference between the XR25 and 45.  I can't tell much from the instructions which are the same for both units.  Both have the same power readings.  It seems the 45 just has a couple of bells and whistles that the 25 doesn't.  What am I missing?  If I wanted can I mod this unit the same as the 45?

JackStraw

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jan 2004, 03:13 pm »
This scenario is about ironic as it gets, a cable manufacturer rolling out mods for a one-box solution that replaces a DAC, preamp, and power amp(s) which all previously required interconnects and power cords. I'm sure that I'm not the first to point out that Wayne is in it for the right reasons, but this proves it beyond the shadow of a doubt.

Wayne1

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:06 pm »
Mathew M,

This is cut and pasted from another thread here at AC:

Differences between XR25 and XR45:

Scotty, Page 2 wrote:

There is a .4lbs weight difference between the two receivers the XR45 weighs 9.2 lbs and the XR25 is 8.8lbs. It is possible that some of that weight is in the power supply. If the XR45 was available I would get it for this reason alone.

Brad, page 3 wrote:

The 45 has an additional optical input, a 'deluxe' remote, 'multi-source remaster processing'. Power ratings are the same on the highly detailed Panny website.

clyde, page 9 wrote:

Reasons to upgrade to XR45:

1. better power supply.
2. 2nd zone, which provides pre-out functionality, missing from both XR25 and XR45.
3. on-screen setup, a major convenience.
4. DTS 96/24. When this format is fully deployed, this could largely replace DVD-A, which does not allow direct digital connection.
5. an additional digital input.

BrunoB, page 7 wrote:

John Meyer from Newform Research wrote:
Panasonic has not ignored sound quality in the XR45. I know many listening tests were done during its development. In fact, the XR45 is an upgraded version of the XR25 ...

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page this link opens, you will find a head to head comparison of the 25 to 45.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=3badef593520d04e7b39af37c60ca236&threadid=304368&perpage=20&pagenumber=14

I have not seen a SA-XR25 myself. I believe as far as mods go, it should be able to get close to the SA-XR45

Mathew_M

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:29 pm »
Thanks for the research Wayne.

I'll probably go ahead and order the 45 and then take back the 25.  

You might have stated this but what all is included with the mods?  After reading Tyson's testimonial I would assume that one would also want to spend the money on Bybee'd cabeling.  I'm sure you've received a glut of requests but when are you going to start the mods and how long will they take?

Wayne1

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2004, 04:50 pm »
Mathew,

I have a fairly large quantity of parts on the way to me. I am hoping that everything will be here by early next week.

There are a couple of refinements to the mods that I plan to make next week.  There should be another listening session on the 31st to verify the changes and compare to the stock unit.

I am certainly hoping that I will be able to list the mods on my website and start making apointments for mods during the first week of February.

Jackstraw,

I may not sell as many interconnects, but with folks using the Panny to Bi-amp, maybe I'll sell some more speaker cables :lol: