PE Sub plate amp--500watt w/ EQ

pjchappy

« on: 6 Feb 2004, 02:20 am »
Anyone try this amp yet:  
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=18245200&St=6308&St2=-56033327&St3=40866793&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=124775&DID=7

It has an equalizer w/ it, 500W into 8 ohms.

I know someone discussed it awhile ago on here. . .however, I haven't heard anything since.

p

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #1 on: 6 Feb 2004, 08:14 pm »
I think it's the best value out there, works nicely.  The parametric eq is a great addition.  Try it, it will only cost a sum total of about $20 in shipping if returned, 45 day trial period.  Over 1000W 4 Ohms, but the printed material is inconclusive whether that is RMS or peak.  The down side is that the speaker output is wire terminated with quick-disconnects, so you will need to get 2 blade connectors to to try it.  Also, if input does not exceed a certain threshold, after a few minutes it goes to standby, then there is a brief turn on delay when the threshold is exceeded (noticeable during classical with quiet or low-bass energy passages).  Beyond that, a gem for its intended purpose.  I wish more would try it to increase  feedback.  

Footnote: I believe, for audiophile use, if only one sub employed, it really either must be dead center & slightly closer than the L-R speakers or integration is below minimum requirements.  If that position impossible & superior integration is required, plan on 2 subs, one each sited near each L-R spkr.

pjchappy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2004, 03:02 am »
Have you been using it on a Larger Sub, or what?

Oh, and as for room nodes w/ a sub, is there a way to determine the frequency of these?  My room. . .which I shouldn't be in too much longer, is currently 14 x 14 1/2. . .

Thanks!

p

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 9 Feb 2004, 10:19 pm »
An oscillator costs $50-75.  Or you can use a test CD with swept sign waves below 100Hz & plot the response.  I have to do mine again, but believe they were at about 32 & 80Hz, huge modes, like +10dB, but since then I've installed huge bass corner traps.