Soundscape 10 amp?

jrg4785

Soundscape 10 amp?
« on: 5 May 2010, 01:58 pm »
As I've mentioned, I have an order in for a pair of Soundscape 10's.  Can't wait! 

I wanted to get your thoughts on an amp to go with them?  I've got a Peachtree Nova that I plan to use as a source (with my Macbook) and preamp.  Based on conversations with Jim and others success with the HT3, I'm leaning towards the Van Alstine Ultra+ 550 with Double Die option.  Any other suggestions in the same price range?  Good quality used is OK.

thanks!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Soundscape 10 amp?
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2010, 02:00 pm »
What about hangin' tight until you get them and see what you **might** want to change?  Unless you have no amp of course. 

Just a thought.

jrg4785

« Reply #2 on: 5 May 2010, 02:01 pm »
I only have the Peachtree, which at 80 wpc I understand really isn't enough power for the SS 10's?

Other folks that have ordered the SS's --- what are you using/planning on using for electronics?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2010, 02:04 pm »

fsimms

« Reply #4 on: 5 May 2010, 03:24 pm »
Any amp that worked good with the HT3's should work well with the Soundscapes.  I have a McCormack 225 and I am expecting it to work well with the SS10's when they arrive.  I bought mine for $1500 used but I think the used price has gone up a bit since then.  It is supposed to do 400 watts into 4 ohms.

Bob

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 5 May 2010, 03:45 pm »
I just thought I'd pass along this little tidbit since it seems to apply to this conversation.

We have been working the last few days on tuning the 10" woofer section to bring it into line with the deep bass performance of the 12" (we've made some GREAT progress in the last two days and the bass is sounding magnificent with much more weight and heft down deep - what a difference!). I wish we had had time to do this before AKFest.

At any rate, we were testing in various rooms and took it to a room with a Panasonic XR57 digital amp rated at 100 watts (I bought it at a flee market for $125).  I expected the bass to be lacking with so little power.  But I was amazed at how well they performed with this little receiver.

While this isn't the amp I would recommend (I would go with a little more power ), it did demonstrate (to me at least) that you don't have to go insane on the amp side to experience great sound from these speakers.

- Jim 

jrg4785

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2010, 03:55 pm »
Awesome, Jim.  Thanks, Bob and JTWRACE. 

fsimms

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2010, 03:59 pm »
We have been working the last few days on tuning the 10" woofer section to bring it into line with the deep bass performance of the 12" (we've made some GREAT progress in the last two days and the bass is sounding magnificent with much more weight and heft down deep - what a difference!). I wish we had had time to do this before AKFest.

Sounds great Jim!  I hope they don't lose the killer clarity in the bass that they had when I heard them in Michigan.

Bob

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2010, 04:32 pm »
Although the SS10 is no more sensitive than the HT3, and therefore will require quite a few clean watts, the impedance level and profile is, if anything, more amplifier-friendly.  The impedance never falls below 4 ohms and is quite flat across the entire spectrum. I just sent my Van Alstine Insight off for an upgrade, and will be using a little AVS Onix 80 watt integrated amp in its absence--hooked up to one HT3 and one SS10.  I'll let you know how that works out. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2010, 04:48 pm »
Which 10" driver are you using?

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2010, 05:12 pm »
Sounds great Jim!  I hope they don't lose the killer clarity in the bass that they had when I heard them in Michigan.

Bob

Bob -

All I can say is that the bass is quite a bit improved compared to what you heard. They play quite a bit deeper and remain very clean and musical.

- Jim

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2010, 05:14 pm »
Bob -

All I can say is that the bass is quite a bit improved compared to what you heard. They play quite a bit deeper and remain very clean and musical.

- Jim

WOW.  The Soundscape 10.0.1 is already in progress.   :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #12 on: 5 May 2010, 05:18 pm »
Which 10" driver are you using?

When TC Sounds filed for bankruptcy, we designed a driver very similar to the original HT3 driver, but with improved performance characteristics.  We swtiched from aluminum to a copper voice coil and introduced an additional shorting ring to further reduce distortion (among other things).  This is a custom driver built for us by Acoustic Elegance.  John did a great job on the design.

- Jim

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 5 May 2010, 05:22 pm »
When TC Sounds filed for bankruptcy, we designed a driver very similar to the original HT3 driver, but with improved performance characteristics.  We swtiched from aluminum to a copper voice coil and introduced an additional shorting ring to further reduce distortion (among other things).  This is a custom driver built for us by Acoustic Elegance.  John did a great job on the design.

- Jim

Very nice!  I've heard some great things about A.E.

highfilter

« Reply #14 on: 5 May 2010, 05:52 pm »
I just thought I'd pass along this little tidbit since it seems to apply to this conversation.

At any rate, we were testing in various rooms and took it to a room with a Panasonic XR57 digital amp rated at 100 watts (I bought it at a flee market for $125).  I expected the bass to be lacking with so little power.  But I was amazed at how well they performed with this little receiver.

While this isn't the amp I would recommend (I would go with a little more power ), it did demonstrate (to me at least) that you don't have to go insane on the amp side to experience great sound from these speakers.

- Jim

Jim, does this mean you are going to tweak the 12" SoundScape as well to dial it in more and get it even deeper?  :drool:

As far as amp recommendations go, you might want to check out the Cherry Jr amp from the Digital Amplifier Company. Seems to be getting great reviews and it puts out 380Wpc+. Details here: http://www.digitalamp.com/cherryjr.htm

Big Red Machine

« Reply #15 on: 5 May 2010, 06:06 pm »
Jim, does this mean you are going to tweak the 12" SoundScape as well to dial it in more and get it even deeper?  :drool:

As far as amp recommendations go, you might want to check out the Cherry Jr amp from the Digital Amplifier Company. Seems to be getting great reviews and it puts out 380Wpc+. Details here: http://www.digitalamp.com/cherryjr.htm

I can loan him one very soon to try.

jackass

« Reply #16 on: 5 May 2010, 06:11 pm »

- Jim

Jim,

Are you making changes to the cabinet design?

Chris

jsalk

« Reply #17 on: 5 May 2010, 06:33 pm »

No need.  The F3 is already about 18Hz with in-room response to about 16Hz.  We were not happy with the extension and quality of the first pass at the 10" version as we just felt there was more potential.  Now the 10" version digs almost as deep as the 12".  The F3 is about 22Hz as I recall.

- Jim

jsalk

« Reply #18 on: 5 May 2010, 06:34 pm »
Jim,

Are you making changes to the cabinet design?

Chris

Chris -

No, it is simply a tuning situation.  The cabinet will remain exactly the same.

- Jim

jackass

« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2010, 01:34 am »
Chris -

No, it is simply a tuning situation.  The cabinet will remain exactly the same.

- Jim

Cool. Thanks Jim.