Cheap amp for Daughter's stereo?

randytsuch

Cheap amp for Daughter's stereo?
« on: 3 Apr 2012, 06:07 pm »
My teenage daughter wants a "stereo" for here room.

I have some old Atlantic Tech or B*se(they came with the house  :icon_lol:) speakers to use.

Source will be an Ipod.
Planning to use an Apple Universal dock, which comes with a remote
]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G5ZA5K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER[url][/url]

So, all I need is an amp. 

Looking not to spend over $100.
Was considering the Audiosource AMP100, but it is kind of wide, think it will take up too much space.  Would rather have something more cube shaped, taller but skinnier.

Any suggestions?

Randy

mcgsxr

Re: Cheap amp for Daughter's stereo?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2012, 08:06 pm »
How much power do you think you need?

Perhaps the main portion of one of the 'executive' units from any of the major brands would do?

Kijiji or Craigslist are swimming with $30-$50 portable audio units, many with detachable (read replaceable!) speakers.

I used a JVC EX-A1 unit for a couple of years very happily with my OB speakers in the past.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2012, 08:07 pm »
Get her a Dayton Audio DTA-100a digital amp.  It is an awesome little amp.
I have one Driving a pair of 6 ohm Monitor Audio S1's 89dB and it plays loud and clear with very good transparency, deep controlled bass and nice treble.  It sounds even better paired with a good dac or DAC/Preamp like the Maverick TubeMagic DAC-1.  $89 here-

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2012, 08:36 pm »
Get her a Dayton Audio DTA-100a digital amp.  It is an awesome little amp.
I have one Driving a pair of 6 ohm Monitor Audio S1's 89dB and it plays loud and clear with very good transparency, deep controlled bass and nice treble.  It sounds even better paired with a good dac or DAC/Preamp like the Maverick TubeMagic DAC-1.  $89 here-

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383

Agreed, I'm using one in my computer system with Axiom 22's. It also does a nice job of driving my VMPS 626R's.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2012, 08:45 pm »
Look at NuForce (don't want her turning it up too much).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2012, 09:17 pm »
Parts Express also carries Lepai & Topping T-amps. The $22 Lepai is quite decent, the Toppings are a level higher in build quality.

dave

wilbert-vanbakel

• Photoshopped Smile
    • On Facebook

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 4 Apr 2012, 01:25 am »
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380

The Dayton DTA 100a is supposed to sound much better than the above mentioned amp as well as the very cheaply made Lepai amps

randytsuch

« Reply #8 on: 4 Apr 2012, 04:03 am »
Thanks for all of the replys guys.

I had looked at the DTA-100a, but it says speakers must be 8 ohm min.  My atlantic tech's are 8 ohms, the B*se are 4.  I'll see if she's OK with the atlantic tech speakers.

Randy

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 4 Apr 2012, 04:05 pm »
Thanks for all of the replys guys.

I had looked at the DTA-100a, but it says speakers must be 8 ohm min.  My atlantic tech's are 8 ohms, the B*se are 4.  I'll see if she's OK with the atlantic tech speakers.

Randy
They may have worded the info. poorly, 6 ohm speakers are fine as well, they don't recommend 4 ohm though.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm »
Yep, I am using 6 ohm Monitor Audio's and the amp does just fine with no heat issues.

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #11 on: 5 Apr 2012, 12:47 am »
For almost all digital amps there is anoptimum impedance. The reason is that the final part of the circuit is a 2nd order LC low-pass filter (to eliminate the switching midulation). Since the load it sees is the loudspeaker, it is most effective with a specific impedance load. Most T-amps are optimized for 4 ohms. Typical minimal T-amp tweaks are better imput caps and better parts in the output filter -- no reason why it cannot be optimized for a different impedance.

This is also the reason why T-amps typically work best with a speaker that has a relatively flat impedance curve.

dave

srb

« Reply #12 on: 5 Apr 2012, 12:57 am »

That particular T-amp is disqualified for its really crappy spring-loaded speaker terminals and its wanky look.

Steve

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 5 Apr 2012, 01:31 am »
It seems like I can get some decent active monitors for around $200.  There are the little Audioengine A2's, supposed to sound good but I'm not sure about the little woofer in those.

Considering the swan D1080, they look reasonable for the price.  Will end up spending a little more, but I'm pretty sure they would sound better too.

Don't know if she'll appreciate the difference, but I'll know  :D

Randy

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:32 am »
That particular T-amp is disqualified for its really crappy spring-loaded speaker terminals and its wanky look.

It should be noted that it is essentially the original Sonic Impact amp (in a black case) that started the T-amp craze (including a reboxed version that was Red Wine's 1st product). It can be run off 8 AAA cells and -- in its Sonic Impact form -- saved m from insanity during an 18 day power failure (with a pair of Austin A126 and an iPod (ALAC))

dave

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 5 Apr 2012, 03:49 am »
Yeah I think you're correct, that would be the optimum use for that amp Dave, a portable amp for the porch, the boat, emergencies, etc.  I should get some of these little guys to hear what the buzz is.

randytsuch

« Reply #16 on: 10 Apr 2012, 04:43 pm »
Update.

I ended up hooking up my old Sonic Impact t amp and the Atlantic Tech speakers in her room, and she's happy  :singing:

I should have mentioned this is on her dime.  Its funny how what they are willing to accept when they are paying for it.

So, she just connected the t amp to her ipod through the 3.5mm jack, she doesn't want (to pay for) the fancy ipod dock with remote.  And she is happy with my old t amp, since it's free.  One of the speaker jacks is messed up.  It makes a connection if you're carefull, but the t amp doesn't like to be moved now.  I will probably take it apart, and just solder a wire there instead.

Only other thing is I was the t amp to drive some in wall speakers we have in the living room, the 2nd system from my HT receiver.  Now, I need to replace it for that system.

Randy

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2012, 05:57 pm »
Shall we ignore that thanks to your "generosity" you now have the opportunity to upgrade?   :lol:

randytsuch

« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2012, 07:37 pm »
Shall we ignore that thanks to your "generosity" you now have the opportunity to upgrade?   :lol:

But, this "upgrade" comes out of my fixed stereo budget, so either I don't buy something, or wait a little longer to buy it.  Since I don't use the living room system very often, it will wait a while until I replace the t amp.

Randy