High sensitivity bookshelf speakers

Early B.

High sensitivity bookshelf speakers
« on: 29 Mar 2012, 04:18 pm »
I'm purchasing a graduation gift for a young audiophile. I already acquired a Shanling MC-30 Music Center which is only 3 watts, so I need a nice pair of new or used high sensitivity bookshelf speakers to go with it. My budget is around $400. I'm not familiar with shopping for high sensitivity speakers, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

srb

Re: High sensitivity bookshelf speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2012, 05:41 pm »
Bookshelf speakers that have high sensitivity will generally either have limited bass response or be fairly large for "bookshelf" classification.

Klipsch RB-61  (MSRP $550/pr., can be found for ~ $450)
95dB
45Hz-24KHz ± 3dB
15.4"H  X 8.5"W X 12.3"D
http://www.klipsch.com/rb-61-ii-bookshelf-speakers-pair

Other possibilities are full-range single driver speakers based on Fostex or similar drivers, but are usually more than your alloted budget

Fritz Fostex 6  ($750/pr.)
94dB
<45Hz to 22kHz
18"H X 8"W X 11.5"D
http://www.fritzspeakers.com/FullRangeSpecs.htm

While there are a lot of good sounding low to mid sensitivity bookshelf speakers to be had for $400 new or used, it's rather hard to find something in that budget with high enough sensitivity for use with a 3W/ch amplifier, unless you listen at somewhat low volumes.

Steve

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:56 pm »
If 92 dB is sensitive enough, I recommend the Hsu Research HB-1 Mk 2. Should be $350-$400 for the pair depending on your choice of finish.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 29 Mar 2012, 06:58 pm »
Try a Chase SHO-10. The reviews are glowing on the net for the price.

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=596&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142

I know at least one fella on AC has auditioned it, and has it in his home. Perhaps he can chime in. I've only heard good things, but it is all hearsay.

Controlled dispersion waveguide. Low price. Vented enclosure. 8 ohms. 97dB efficient (2.83V at 1 m, equivalent to 1 watt for an 8 ohm speaker).

The HSU HB-1 Mk 2 looks cool as well. Thanks Doublej.

Best,
Anand.

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2012, 07:25 pm »
If 92 dB is sensitive enough, I recommend the Hsu Research HB-1 Mk 2. Should be $350-$400 for the pair depending on your choice of finish.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html
There is a pair of these on Audiogon for $175, unfortunately the shipping to my place is $120 or so.

mcgsxr

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2012, 09:27 pm »
I would recommend DIY with any number of Fostex drivers, but not sure that is what you want.  Efficient for sure.

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2012, 11:44 pm »
I've heard great things about the Decware Minis...might be hard to find a pair though.

Doublej

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:28 am »
There is a pair of these on Audiogon for $175, unfortunately the shipping to my place is $120 or so.

Ouch! Where do you live? A pair shipped from the factory via Fedex $46 for the pair (in the US).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:46 am »
Klipsch RB-61

Fritz Fostex 6

Klipsh are usually optimistically rated byat least a couple dB.

The FE167e in the Fritz has been discontinued now for 2 years so unless he really stocked up those are probably unobtainium. They would be nice speakers and have synergy with the Shanling.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2012, 01:52 am »
I would recommend DIY with any number of Fostex drivers, but not sure that is what you want.  Efficient for sure.

For a bookshelf speaker, FF125wk or FF165wk, the larger driver capable of more extended bottom, more efficient, at the cost of a bigger box and less a bit of midrange finesse. My CGR Fonken125 design has been posted (9 litres), the CGR Fonken167 has only been roughed out (17 litres). Both drivers could be fitted into smaller boxes at a sacrifice of bass extension.

The new FFxx5wk are a step above the FExx7e series they replace.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:01 am »
I've heard great things about the Decware Minis...might be hard to find a pair though.

That one has been thorougly dissected on diyAudio if you want to get a backgrounder.

dave

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:31 am »
There's a thread we have over on the Enclosures circle about the Lore speaker from Tekton http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=104895.0 which is a floorstander priced at $999, but the manufacturer has several bookshelf models as well, all high efficiency models, low priced, some single driver and some two ways with high crossed over tweeters.  http://www.tektondesign.com/products.html  I haven't heard them so can't vouch personally for the sound, but they're getting some big internet buzz, enough to make it worth checking out.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:51 am »
The HSU's get rave reviews and the price is very easy to deal with...Black are like $300ish per pair....... :thumb:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2012, 04:31 am »
not sure what the actual intended use is, or whether they really need to be "bookshelf" speakers or not, but the wintage sansui sp2500's are wery efficient and have a wery nice sound, tho not at all what i would call an audiophile sound.  forget about the pinpoint imaging, etc.  they simply sound wery nice, and do well w/tubes, and are relatively full-range, but crossing them to subs is helpful.  (which i am sure is the case for any speakers you are looking for!)  they are relatively large, could be placed directly on the floor, or on short stands.  i would recommend them on short stands, tilted back.  something home-made a-la the mapleshade close-to-floor stands would be perfect.  here's my $20 craigslist specials (no grilles included).  note i have a 2x2 wedged under the fronts, to tilt them back a bit:

specs:
Freq Range 50 to 20,000 Hz
Imp 8 Ohm
Max watts 80
Sensitivity 98 dB

you can find these for anywhere from $20 (think local/craigslist/goodwill/salwation army/etc) to ~$100-$300 on ebay, depending on condition, weather, astrological signs, etc. 

doug s.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2012, 09:04 am »
Louis from Omega, right here at AC sells a high efficiency standmount.  Not cheap but custom single driver, great cabinetry, and very good sound.

JoshK

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2012, 12:46 pm »
Try a Chase SHO-10. The reviews are glowing on the net for the price.

http://www.chasehometheater.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=596&category_id=28&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=142

I know at least one fella on AC has auditioned it, and has it in his home. Perhaps he can chime in. I've only heard good things, but it is all hearsay.

Controlled dispersion waveguide. Low price. Vented enclosure. 8 ohms. 97dB efficient (2.83V at 1 m, equivalent to 1 watt for an 8 ohm speaker).

The HSU HB-1 Mk 2 looks cool as well. Thanks Doublej.

Best,
Anand.

These look like the ticket.   I didn't even know about these.  Wonder what CD they use.   These would be what I'd look for. 

hdspeakerman

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:32 pm »
http://www.visaton.com/en/bauvorschlaege/breitband/solo20/index.html
See other options on Google
I built a pair of these and use as computer speakers at times.  I like them a lot.
Howard

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2012, 02:52 pm »
Klipsch KSB 1.1 rated at 92db might be a good place to start and good price.  HSU, too.

If he has room, the SHO-10 would be awesome.  Uses a Selenium CD.  Looks to be an Eminence LF driver.

fredgarvin

« Reply #18 on: 30 Mar 2012, 03:40 pm »
Ouch! Where do you live? A pair shipped from the factory via Fedex $46 for the pair (in the US).

Yeah, I ran the quote on the audiogon rate calculator, I couldn't believe the quote so I ran it for ups and usps and got the same result.  :scratch: There must be a boo boo somewhere. I'm just in Oregon and the seller down in Cali.

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 30 Mar 2012, 05:03 pm »
Yeah, I ran the quote on the audiogon rate calculator, I couldn't believe the quote so I ran it for ups and usps and got the same result.  :scratch: There must be a boo boo somewhere. I'm just in Oregon and the seller down in Cali.

You can go directly to the ups.com and usps.com sites. You can punch the zip codes there and see what you get.