Re: The Bully
« Reply #20 on: 21 Oct 2023, 03:44 am »
The basic kit is.

https://gr-research.com/product/old-school-bully-kit/

The flat pack is not on the site yet.

mkrawcz

« Reply #21 on: 21 Oct 2023, 11:26 am »
As a Brute owner who also has the NX-Oticas, I don’t have to hear these to tell that they are going to be something special. With the MTM, fast servo sub, and measurements as perfect as a speaker can get, these will have people with $50k plus speakers scratching their heads.

BrandonB

« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2023, 11:53 am »
Curious as to how good these would get with a maxed cross-over?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2023, 01:44 pm »
Are they or sale now?
Not quite, we haven't finalized pricing and we still need to build our the pair, but I should have them available pretty soon.

mkrawcz

« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2023, 03:33 pm »
Curious as to how good these would get with a maxed cross-over?
I’m planning on going full copper caps on anything in series for these since there will be plenty of space.

BrandonB

« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2023, 04:22 pm »
I’m planning on going full copper caps on anything in series for these since there will be plenty of space.

Nice!  It will have plenty of room.....
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2023, 07:40 pm by BrandonB »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2023, 04:46 pm »
The basic kit is.

https://gr-research.com/product/old-school-bully-kit/

The flat pack is not on the site yet.

That's just the page I set up ahead of time so I don't have to do several at one time.
We still need to  build our the pair, take pictures and such, so there may still be changes to the kit, pricing etc.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2023, 06:20 pm »
What is the vertical measurement for ideal listening axis height?

Which sub amp model is the speaker using?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2023, 06:28 pm »
What is the vertical measurement for ideal listening axis height?

Which sub amp model is the speaker using?
Every color from red to green is moving the mic up 4 inches (roughly 5° per measurement)

The sub amp is the A370PEQ

jmimac351

« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2023, 07:23 pm »
Every color from red to green is moving the mic up 4 inches (roughly 5° per measurement)

The sub amp is the A370PEQ

Thank you Hobbs, maybe a better question: what is the measurement from the bottom to the tweeter axis? 

And then I guess, what is the overall vertical measurement of the speaker, top to bottom? Edit: I see overall height measurement in temp link at 33 5/8"

My seated ear height is 35.5", so maybe just playing with butcher block platforms / even casters to make them easy to move around would work - if additional height is even needed at all. Interesting.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2023, 02:22 am by jmimac351 »

BrandonB

« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2023, 07:43 pm »
Anyone know what these may compare with in the retail market. I honestly never see good crossover parts in speakers. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2023, 07:50 pm »
Anyone know what these may compare with in the retail market.

I've not heard the Bully but based on the specs I'd say somewhere above the JBL Synthesis and below the JBL Everest.  Probably much closer to the Everest than to the Synthesis.

BrandonB

« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2023, 09:03 pm »
I've not heard the Bully but based on the specs I'd say somewhere above the JBL Synthesis and below the JBL Everest.  Probably much closer to the Everest than to the Synthesis.
I looked up the JBL Everest and it had supper nice drivers but the speaker cost about 50K.  I bet the crossover parts aren't as nice though.

Tyson

« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2023, 09:10 pm »
I looked up the JBL Everest and it had supper nice drivers but the speaker cost about 50K.  I bet the crossover parts aren't as nice though.

Yep, sounds about right. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2023, 09:21 pm »
Anyone know what these may compare with in the retail market. I honestly never see good crossover parts in speakers.
Well, I can start it off with a Brute comparison based on what I have on hand. I own a pair of Focal Electra 1038Be. The Brute is better than the Focals in every single way by a mile (I'm sure if Danny got his hands on my Focals, that would change). Those speakers where $13k retail. So already with the Brute, they are going up against really high end stuff. The Bully is going to be a significant step up from the Brute being a true full range speaker with even better midrange clarity. Honestly, I don't think there will be too many retail speakers under $20k that can compete with them.

WC

« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2023, 09:45 pm »
The drivers and parts for this will be in the roughly $3k range based on the costs of the brute and servo subs. Flat pack won’t be cheap especially the shipping.

jmimac351

« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2023, 10:30 pm »

The problem is, your question is very difficult to answer - by design.  For most any speaker manufacturer (and audio, in general), the answer to your question is dealt with via hyperbole and fairy dust words.  They play into a lack of technical knowledge among consumers and take advantage of the passion most of us have for finding "rightness"... and so the search goes on. 

And then... some speaker manufacturers post response measurements, spectral decay plots, and videos of how the speaker is actually designed, why it's good / bad... how it compares to other things.   

My Wilson Duette have outboard crossovers that are potted... encased in epoxy.  I think all of the Wilson crossovers are treated in that same fashion.  I couldn't look at / improve upon quality of the crossover parts if I tried.  Based on what I hear with them, they need work.  I don't know how to do it. 

However... "I gotta guy..."

:popcorn:

Perhaps another question to ask is "Why is XYZ speaker better than The Bully?"  Just based on specs, they are going to be tough to beat.  How does that baffle image?  Well, the proof will be in the pudding. 

Below is a pic of my buddy's setup.  Wilson Alexia, among other things.  They're cool... but they don't teleport.  They are ScanSpeak drivers that some dudes put in a box and made a crossover for... and they absolutely will not tell you how they did it.  They are cool... but they aren't "Magic".  I'd LOVE to roll a Bully into his room, right next to the Alexia, and let 'em GET IT ON! He'd enjoy it too!

As Sarah McLachlan says, they're "Building a Mystery"... and that sells.

mkrawcz

« Reply #37 on: 22 Oct 2023, 11:02 pm »
That is pretty much the worst speaker placement possible and its destroying what those Wilsons are capable of.

Tyson

« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2023, 11:05 pm »
That is pretty much the worst speaker placement possible and its destroying what those Wilsons are capable of.

I notice they are on rollers, so maybe he rolls them out for serious listening sessions and rolls them back all other times.

jmimac351

« Reply #39 on: 22 Oct 2023, 11:13 pm »
I notice they are on rollers, so maybe he rolls them out for serious listening sessions and rolls them back all other times.

Bingo - that's exactly what he does.  And something I think would be a good idea for Bully, if needed.  That's why I was asking about overall height / tweeter axis.  Sound Anchors is not far away in Palm Bay, FL and a custom set of stands with casters would work great.  I can weld and always looking for an excuse to weld.  A design like what they offer would work great, I think.  If I owned a pair of these, I would incorporate nutserts epoxied into the bottom of the speakers to be able to bolt them to the stands / casters.  Low profile roller balls from McMaster-Carr might be cool too.

The other option would be for me to clap and wave my hands, but I don't think she would place them exactly were I want them - and that technique would be fraught with risk. :green: