Recommendations for stereo speakers...

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Recommendations for stereo speakers...
« on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:20 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for stereo speakers (either towers or strong bookshelfs w/proper stands).

1. I always like the Paradigm Studio series
2. I like the Salk Song Tower
3. I believe the Quad's I heard one time sounded alright
4. Joseph Audio Pulsars where great but was at least 2-3 times out of my proposed budget.

Any other in that price/performance/sound range???

lcrim

Re: Recommendations for stereo speakers...
« Reply #1 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:29 pm »
This Circle is intended for a more budget minded level of kit than your initial list of speakers.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #2 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:43 pm »
I'm looking for recommendations for stereo speakers (either towers or strong bookshelfs w/proper stands).

4. Joseph Audio Pulsars where great but was at least 2-3 times out of my proposed budget.

See this for guidelines on what can be posted here.

Anand.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 8 Aug 2010, 04:50 pm »
Well, can you transfer this thread to the correct section then???

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:05 pm »
Now that we have the thread location sorted out you should give a bit of background for your question.
Room size?
Price range?
New or used?
Amplification being used?
Musical preferences?
Without this info it is difficult to provide meaningful advice.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 8 Aug 2010, 10:22 pm »
Small room

$2K-$3K

New (unless I can get a hell of a deal)

Marantz Reference integrated (I also have Parasound Halo seperates; using the Marantz due to space issues where the Parasound gear is. Eventually, the seperates will be in the main setup).

I typically don't play to the stuff the average audiophile listens to (classical, folk, etc...); I'm listen to mostly 80's. These speakers will also double as TV listening.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm »
Try linking up with local audio gatherings or attending an audio fest.

Listen to as many as possible, but no more than 3 or 4 a day (you'll get confused).

Bring music that you're familiar with and represents stuff you like.

Paradigm is well made and reasonably priced (for traditionally marketed stuff).

Salk offers better value, superior service, and can customize.

Quad offers different styles of speakers, so your reference to them doesn't help.

The Joseph Audio speakers I've heard emphasize detail.  Make sure you do long auditions as this can eventually become very fatiguing.

By 80's music I assume you mean pop music.  Much of that wasn't well recorded or particularly demanding on speakers go (not a slam, I just bought one of those TV packages of 80's soft rock hits because musically I'd slept through the decade).  For a small room, a medium/large standmount or small floorstander should work fine.

Check out the audiocircle vendors.  They offer great service and excellent prices.  ACI, Salk, and GR come to mind.  Outside of audiocircle I recommend Ascend Acoustics, again excellent products, service, and value.  If your interested in home theater, I'd think about going the route of two small speakers with a subwoofer, so you can add to it later.  You could do very well within your stated budget.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:26 pm »
I'm listen to mostly 80's. These speakers will also double as TV listening.

Digital or vinyl? Digital recordings were pretty harsh in the 80's. A speaker that is not detail orientated and does not accent the highs would sound the best with 80's rock and pop, Paradigm would not be my first choice though they do have good bass. Does the Marantz have tone controls?

The Song Tower with the dome tweeter has a wider dispersion for TV sound and good bass for it's size though if you want to feel the impact of explosions then you will eventually want to add a sub for TV and movies.

Wayne

Will2

« Reply #8 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:29 pm »
If you have the luxury of time I would definitely consider used.  If you have your eye on two or three manufacturers you are sure to be able to find something used if you are patient.  There are great bargains to be had compared to new stuff.  For example, if you happen to be nearby where these are you might want to consider going to listen to them - in your price range and might be better than anything you can get new for that price.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1286382763&/Selah-RC5

Cheers
Will

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 8 Aug 2010, 11:36 pm »

You know me - look at these - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1284909999&/Metaphor--Accustic-.-Metaphor-

I was at the Jammin' Java Saturday with a friend who was one of the designers.  Extremely efficient too.  I almost bought a pair locally for hair cheaper for the basement but thought what I have fit physically a bit better.  Used is definitely a good route.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2010, 12:29 am »
I went to Capital Audio Fest; hence, where I like Salk Song Towers. The Joseph Audio Pulsar's is something I would really like to have; but, I would never have them used for a reasonable price.

I have always like Paradigm Studio's; as well as, the Parasound gear I heard them on (well, original classic; hence, why I bought Halo).

I listen to FM, XM, cable music channels, vinyl,  CD, and cassette; I'm not worried about sound not be perfect in some occasions. I don't expect great sound from that room anyway; it's has homemade accoustic products to help out but it can only do so much.

bside123

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:45 am »
Fritz Speakers has many options in your price range. Fritz posts frequently here on Audio Circle and is a great guy. Fritz loves to speak to his customers directly during the ordering process to help meet their specific needs. He hand makes all of his speakers in California and will customize to your application. His speakers are made on an order basis; he does not keep tons of inventory around. He's having great success with his Carbon 7s. I recently bought a pair of his Grove Stand Mounted speakers for a friend's system, and I own a Fritz Subwoofer. We are both extremely pleased. I am not affiliated to Fritz other than being a happy customer, and I've loved talking to him over the phone.

http://www.fritzspeakers.com/

decal

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2010, 03:36 am »
I'm listen to mostly 80's. These speakers will also double as TV listening.

The Paradigm Studio series will be great for the listening habits above.You said that you like them so this seems like a win/win situation to me, but,you are the one that will have to live with them.Good luck.