Welcome to Cheap & Cheerful HiFi!

Mariusz

Welcome to Cheap & Cheerful HiFi!
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:02 pm »

Dear fellow audiophiles

First of all, I would like to thank you for your support and interest in "Cheap & Cheerful" Circle
 and hope we can enjoy our hobby from somewhat different perspective and a hair of humor.

We plan to offer a wide variety of inexpensive products, whole systems, DIY experiences and other aspects of affordable music experience.

If there is enough interest and with your help, I will try to work with manufacturers in organizing Audio Circle group buys and tours.

I would also like to encourage DIY crowd and those with well of information on projects which will be appropriate for this Circle to step forward and offer their knowledge. 

Last but not least, I would like to welcome everyone in "Cheap & Cheerful" Circle and lets have some fun.........on the cheap side of cause.

Here are general guidelines:

- headphone system = $200 max (head-amp and cans)
- PC only system      = $400 max (including speakers or cans)
- analog only system = $650 (phono or pre/integrated amp with phono build-in +
  turntable/arm/cartridge
- maximum stereo system price = $1000 (I'll accept 20% overhead given variations in 2nd hand   
  market and currency difference)
- no brand cables in this circle except DIY. We can make some exception for true basement bargains tho.
  Components with humor factor and gadgets are acceptable as well.

Individual components shouldn't exceed  $350 however in cases of full featured components like integrated amps with DAC, phonostage or headphone amp - its value can be as much as $650.
DIY and kits are more then welcome.

Sincerely
Mariusz :thumb:

« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm by Mariusz »

Big Red Machine

Re: Welcome to Cheap & Cheerful HiFi!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:24 pm »
Do I qualify if my speakers were loaned to me and didn't cost me any money but the rest of my system meets the dollar amounts or was DIY?

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:31 pm »
Congrats on your new circle!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:32 pm »
Tres coolio :thumb:

John

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:45 pm »
Do I qualify if my speakers were loaned to me and didn't cost me any money

Would that be one of those indefinite type of loans?  :lol:

pardales

« Reply #5 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:03 pm »
Hooray for the new circle! May it be frugal and merry for years to come..... :thumb:

mcullinan

« Reply #6 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:13 pm »
Yeah... congrats.

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:59 pm »
Thank you guys and have fun showing off your cheap & cheerful.
Do I qualify if my speakers were loaned to me and didn't cost me any money but the rest of my system meets the dollar amounts or was DIY?

Not really but if your friend has more freebies..... we are all ears. aa

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2009, 05:24 pm »
Congrats on the new Circle Mariusz. Job well done Sir.  8)

Bob

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #9 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:53 am »
Very cool idea :)

Mariusz

« Reply #10 on: 3 Sep 2009, 02:56 am »
Bob, Jim thank you and we will try to have some fun on the cheap in the near future.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 3 Sep 2009, 04:15 am »
You may wish to consider making this thread a "Sticky" to keep it up at the top. :)

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 3 Sep 2009, 10:46 am »
You may wish to consider making this thread a "Sticky" to keep it up at the top. :)

Indeed.  This needs to be a sticky.

nunhgrader

« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2009, 08:35 am »
What an excellent post/ thread/ idea!

hifitommy

Cheap
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2010, 06:33 pm »
i know that many consider DVDPs to be below standard in audio sound but there IS an exception.  most players that do SACD make rbcd sound better than other players including some dedicated CDPs. 

this is due to the upsampling performed by these sacd players.  i have two-the old sony ns500v (long discontinued) and my marantz 6001 which also gave me DVDA capability.  both yield great rbcd sound which made my large cd collection more valuable to me. 

the main force in my system is vinyl but much music isnt available this way just as much isnt available on cd thats on vinyl.  i never purged my system of vinyl as i could see no real reason to do so. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2011, 03:45 am »
Dear friends, it appears on of my favorite people at AC has gone AWOL.  Attempts to contact Mariusz have gone unanswered so I'll be stepping in to help facilitate going forward.  I see no reason to make any sweeping changes in the guidelines, but if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to voice them as now would be the time.  Nothing more to add other than keep on having fun with cheap and cheerful hi-fi. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2011, 04:13 pm »
Good deal, thanks for stepping up.
If you need any help, lemma know.

Hope Mariusz is sitting on a beach, sipping a cocktail right now, and forgot to let us know before hand.

Bob

Gopher

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2011, 05:07 pm »
I love the concept of this circle, but I feel like the original dollar requirements are a bit too restrictive. 

An affordable circle is a great idea, but most don't abide by those numbers anyway and there is plenty of great budget gear that should be considered cheap and cheerful but falls outside of the criteria.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2011, 05:13 pm »
I love the concept of this circle, but I feel like the original dollar requirements are a bit too restrictive. 

Um, this was gone through over and over in the orignal proposal. So please don't second-guess it unless you are prepared to step up and manage it (which presumably you're not, since you didn't respond to my message asking for another Facilitator).

Gopher

« Reply #19 on: 27 Apr 2011, 02:36 am »
It wasn't a personal slight, John...  Just an observation as 75% of the posts on page 1 don't meet the criteria.  I'm not complaining about that as the posts are useful--I just hope under new moderation they don't go away as I LIKE how things are.

You are correct, I did not step up.  But I do contribute when I can and I try to be polite and courteous when I do.