Tri-amp 3 way speakers, anyone? Would like to know more about it...

JohnR

Oh sorry, do you think it's better move this thread for another section?

Please let me know, I have to say that when was creating this thread, i was in doubt, where exactly to create, here, speakers section, or amplifiers...

Sorry if is not according to the "The Lab" theme...

No, you're fine, this is the right place for your thread.

FreedomJazzDance

Older Rotel multichannel amps can be a cheap way to get a bunch of channels, the RB-976 and RMB-1066 in particular. They can be getting a bit long in the tooth now but they seem quite reliable.

IMO cheap is good when you're at the start of the learning curve.

The other point that was mentioned (in a negative way, oddly) was speaker measurement - this is something you will need to learn or you will hit a wall. It's not expensive to do these days.

Thanks for the recommendation sir.

Ah Yes.. there's a lot to learn, already noted your suggestion too, thanks  :thumb:

ricmon

Again watch out for DIY proud papa syndrome.  An assemble of amps and some sort of crossover is not an elegant solution or particularly inexpensive versus manufactured product you can listen to first.  How many attempts, hours, and wasted parts will it take to "get it right"?  How many years of experience did this "particular gentleman" have to invest to develop his speakers?  If that's your thing, great.

Now that's some sound advice!  And yes you are right  that "particular gentleman" has a years of speaker building experience.......but you have to start somewhere.  So let's just be more encouraging.  Jump in with both feet and do mind the above advise about the "proud papa syndrome".

Ric

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Have you ever considered building a kit?  I know there's a few kits over at GR Research where the bass/sub section is powered and the mid/tweeter integration is already done by a pro.  You just have to assemble & finish the kits & you get a very well engineer product for "merely" the cost of the parts and flat packs.

FreedomJazzDance

So many possibilities isn't? It could be interest too, thanks for the suggestion, but for now I most focus about a multi channel amp, I think will be the more straight forward way to start to experiment the active system configuration.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Yes check out www.Doukaudio.com lots of products that are inexpensive to start experimenting with.

charles

FreedomJazzDance

Will check it out, thanks  :thumb:

FreedomJazzDance

Following my researches abut amplifiers with the capability to bi-amp or tri-amp, I discovered this days the Pioneed Elite M-73.
What about the Pioneed M-73? Anyone experienced this amp?

Appears to be a reasonable solution, considering the price of this amp, and appears to be a very well made one, 4 channels, Class A and Class AB operational selector.

Thinking abou that maybe can be a good option 2 of this, for bi amp the radial horn and super horn tweeter in class A operation...

What do you think?

Anyone heard this amp?

Thanks, best regards.

JohnR

This seems to be a stereo amp...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
It is a regular stereo amp, it have only 2 channels of amplification, he could need two units of this amp for a bi-amp system and 3 amps for a tri-amp system, this is a lot of amps.

This amp have two speaker outputs per channel by an extra feature to connect 8 ohms speaker in parallel, what not lowering from 4 ohms during music should work safe.

FreedomJazzDance

Yes, it will need two of this, for amplify the 4 tweeters and 4 radial horns... in class a operation, as the amp have a class a operational selector, could be interest, appears not to be so expensive..

ricmon

Yes, it will need two of this, for amplify the 4 tweeters and 4 radial horns... in class a operation, as the amp have a class a operational selector, could be interest, appears not to be so expensive..

FreedomJazzDance I would suggest that you start out with a modest project.  My friend that judges the speaker building completion at Parts Express told our group that the speaker that performed the worst were the ones that were over ambitious in their designs.  However the winners of  the competition were mostly stand mounts.

Good luck!
Ric

FreedomJazzDance

Yes, I said before, at first I think I will just build the passive crossover recommended on the speaker's plan, but I already researching about the options about go active, thanks for the advice.

ricmon

Yes, I said before, at first I think I will just build the passive crossover recommended on the speaker's plan, but I already researching about the options about go active, thanks for the advice.

Not exactly my recommendation.  You should forgo the passive crossover route and just use a digital crossover solution.  Getting the crossover right requires a lot of experimentation.  Doing it in the digital domain will make your project much much easier.  You will be able to make adjustment with just a click of the mouse.  Going passive you will have to rebuild your crossover for each iteration of your crossover testing. 

Ric

FreedomJazzDance

No, that's out of question, my source is mainly vinyl, don't want the phono signal be digitalized on the way.... the passive crossover plan recommended by the speaker's manufacturer it will be the starting point, but thanks for the advice.

audioengr

The passive speaker crossover will be fine, providing that you use quality parts for it.  I would not do this myself unless I was using Duelund caps (or V-caps) and Jensencapacitors.com air-core copper ribbon inductors.  Avoid iron-core inductors.  The resistors should be low inductance planar types.  If you paint your house yourself, you buy the best available paint.  Same with doing your own speaker crossover.  Don't go cheap.

Steve N.

FreedomJazzDance

Ah yes, it’s not me that will do, I just have the recommended building plan from the manufacturer, will find someone with the skills..

Scott F.

Not to confuse matters but, you have the option of doing an active crossover that isn't digital. The Pioneer SF-850 is a 2 or 3 way active crossover. Stock, they sound quite good. A few power supply tweaks and they sound even better.

These have 6, 12 and 18dB slopes for each XO band. Each band has separate gain controls so your can compensate for efficiency differences. The used market has these at around $800 or so, when you can find them.

As for experience, I did active, multi-amp setups for almost two decades with tremendous success. I've since pushed the "easy" button with big power and ridiculous speakers. Without question, my active setup just flat smoked my current setup (which is pretty decent by most standards).

There are other active analog XOs out there. I've even got an all tubed 2/3 way. I've played with most of them over the years but by a goodly sum, the Pioneer SF-850 was the best, IMO, YMMV, and all other disclaimers that come to mind.

Good luck on your journey  :thumb:
Carry on  :popcorn: 

Scott F.

Look at this, here's one on eBay for $500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SF850-electronic-Crossover-Network/264439423634?hash=item3d91d16292:g:GcIAAOSw2z1dXx07

Just what the doctor ordered  :thumb:

....and no, it's not mine  :lol:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Bryston had an active 3 way xover years in the 1990s.
https://www.stereophile.com/miscellaneous/594bryston/index.html
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2019, 03:21 am by FullRangeMan »