Warnerwh.. this is the ugliest room in the world!! LOL

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #20 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:26 pm »
95, yes indeed that room is ugly.

A couple points.  #1, they're not basstraps, they're absorption panels.  Probably they work very well at absorbing midrange and treble energy, but unless they're a foot or 2 thick, they won't absorb much bass.  You definitely need some basstraps in there; see this http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/119523.html thread for DIY info.

Secondly, one does not need absorption on BOTH sides of echoing walls.  A panel on ONE side works well; try removing all panels that exactly oppose another and retry the clap test.  Rooms CAN be too dead!

BTW I rebuilt a 14'-wide livingroom decades ago, turning it into a great-sounding 19'-deep musicroom; see http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vdone&1126390461&read&keyw&zzjeffrey%20s .

95bcwh

« Reply #21 on: 11 Jun 2006, 07:53 pm »
Quote from: jeffreybehr
95, yes indeed that room is ugly.

A couple points.  #1, they're not basstraps, they're absorption panels.  Probably they work very well at absorbing midrange and treble energy, but unless they a foot or 2 think, they won't absorb much bass.  You definitely need some basstraps in there; see this http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tweaks/messages/119523.html thread for DIY info.

Secondly, one does not need absorption on BOTH sides of echoing walls.  A panel on ONE side works well; try removing all panels  ...

Jeffrey,
   Thanks for the advice. You're right about the "not needing absorption on both sides of the echoing walls". I did previously manage to remove echos and comb filterinng by covering up just one side of the wall.

I have read that John Risch thread previously, the problem with going for 1-2 foot thickness is I will have no room left for my speakers!! So I guess I should just sticked with 4" for the time being. Wait till I got a bigger room, I will build thicker panels.

barry

warnerwh

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jun 2006, 05:24 am »
I'd build at least two and preferably four bass traps if you have the room. One for each corner. There's the quick and dirty traps which are effective and easy to make. You just take three rolls of fiberglass. Make sure the plastic bags they came in are sealed tight so tape up holes. Then tape the three rolls together.

After you have the three rolls attached you need some particle board cut into circles about the same diameter. Attach these round wood ends with some strapping tape or something and get some 4' wide fabric. The wood will give you something to staple the fabric to.  50 bucks each and they work well.

The good thing is that your room is definitely much better off having those treatments in there.  I'd rather have those in my room than bad sound.  Aestetics don't bother me as much I think as most people although I do like things that look nice, especially if it's female :D

I'm glad you can laugh at yourself. In my last house I could care what people thought of the fact that the wall behind my stereo was covered in acoustic foam. It helped that room alot. Then I built one ASC clone from Jon Risch's site and that helped significantly.

That had been my foray into room acoustics.  I guess you could also call it experiemental as I started with just a bit of foam and kept adding it til the whole wall was covered.  People would come in and go "what's that?". It was sort of embarrassing sometimes but when I listened to music it was well worth it.

When I bought the house I'm living in now I needed a room built in the basement. Before I finished the room I decided I was going to go all out in the acoustic treatment part.  The cost of the treatments is very very cost effective.  One thing I would have done different though is use rigid fiberglass covered in nice fabric instead of the wedge foam.  It would have looked alot nicer and I may do that in the future.

From now on I know that whenever someone wants help from me in purchasing a system that the acoustic treatments will be at the top of their list.  Glad to see you going through the effort.  The more time you spend learning about the acoustics of your room the better. It's far more effective in getting good sound than the latest dac or amp or whatever for that matter.

Congrats on what all know as "Your Room!"

95bcwh

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2006, 05:52 am »
Quote from: warnerwh
I'd build at least two and preferably four bass traps if you have the room.

Thanks.. I have been looking for these fiberglass rolls at homedepot/lowes but they don't sell Owen's corning products..

But I will keep looking..it will certainly be fun to try it out.. :mrgreen:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2006, 06:06 am »
You don't need owens corning brand fiberglass.  It's all about the same.  Go grab some R-30.

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2006, 03:59 pm »
Do you wear a straight jacket during listening sessions? :lol:

95bcwh

« Reply #26 on: 17 Jun 2006, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: mono-tubeleosis

LOL! That's a room that no one in my family wants be in it, no one can bear the sight of it!!!

But I'm going to make it look even more ugly with the addition of a few more bass traps.. plus I'm going to seal the big windows with a big MDF board to reduce the noise coming from outside...

My rational is, I am going to move out of this place in 8 months time, so I'm looking for quick and dirty and cheap solution, rather than spending thousands making it look good..

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #27 on: 17 Jun 2006, 11:20 pm »
Quote from: 95bcwh
Quote from: mono-tubeleosis

LOL! That's a room that no one in my family wants be in it, no one can bear the sight of it!!!

But I'm going to make it look even more ugly with the addition of a few more bass traps.. plus I'm going to seal the big windows with a big MDF board to reduce the noise coming from outside...

My rational is, I am going to move out of this place in 8 months time, so I'm looking for quick and dirty and cheap solution, rather than spending thousands making it look good..

Just funnin with ya 95.  At least you don't have a wife who makes you get Senate approval to make changes to the room.

95bcwh

Re: Warnerwh.. this is the ugliest room in the world!! LOL
« Reply #28 on: 1 Jul 2006, 03:14 pm »
Ok, let's keep this thread on track and not start going in the direction of ethnic comments.

George

Since such comment offended you, I have deleted it.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Warnerwh.. this is the ugliest room in the world!! LOL
« Reply #29 on: 1 Jul 2006, 03:55 pm »
Thank you.

George