Warnerwh.. this is the ugliest room in the world!! LOL

95bcwh

Hey warnerwh,
   You can see my room on this link here...please don't throw up.. :lol:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=748

I made each panel by combining a 2" 4PCF rockwool with a 2" 8PCF rock wool. The dimension of each rockwool board is 2ft x 4ft. I wrap the rockwool up with polyester and open weaves fabric, they're the cheapest fabric I could find at Walmart, at $1 per yard, 100% cotton. But now I really regretted not paying more to get better looking fabric. :oops:

Any advice for additional treatment?... I feel that even 18 bass trap is not enough.  Certain untreated spot in that room I could still hear a bit of echo and comb filtering..

Thanks and best regards
   barry

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2006, 10:50 pm »
If you gave me those panels for free I wouldn't put them in one of my closets!!   :o

Man, I hope you listen with your eyes closed!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

George

john1970

I second George!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:06 pm »
Have to agree with George on this one.  Those panels are quite bad looking.  In the future you might want to upgrade the cloth.  Upgrading the cloth can go a long way to improve the looks.

As a side note, I hope are are married and have a very forgiving spouse.  If you are single don't show this room to a woman or she will run the other direction  :!:

Cheers and enjoy listening,  :mrgreen:

John

95bcwh

Re: I second George!
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2006, 11:21 pm »
Quote from: john1970
Have to agree with George on this one.  Those panels are quite bad looking.  In the future you might want to upgrade the cloth.  Upgrading the cloth can go a long way to improve the looks.

As a side note, I hope are are married and have a very forgiving spouse.  If you are single don't show this room to a woman or she will run the other direction  :!:

Cheers and enjoy listening,  :mrgreen:

John

John, you're right on this one.. I am married and have the most forgiving wife in the world...:)

In the future I will definitely upgrade the fabric. Or build better looking one. :mrgreen: , all these 18 panels only cost me $300 so they're peanuts.  I want to use what I have now as a laboratory to understand how acoustic really works. Once I feel confident about acoustic treatment, I will build a home theater where all treatments are behind curtains/walls so you won't see them at all.

Rob Babcock

• Facilitator
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:06 am »
Okay, they're not the prettiest in the world! :lol:   But how do they work?  Did it make a big difference in the sound, and for the better?  If so, live & learn.  Cover 'em with drapes or add a 2nd layer of something nicer over the top. :)

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:14 am »
Is that a new upholstery showroom ???? :lol:
    Just kidding....looks better than my room.[/list:u]
      Its good to experiment....get it correct....then better fabic, all the same color....then your set.[/list:u]
        Good luck !!! :D [/list:u]

95bcwh

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:22 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
Okay, they're not the prettiest in the world! :lol:   But how do they work?  Did it make a big difference in the sound, and for the better?  If so, live & learn.  Cover 'em with drapes or add a 2nd layer of something nicer over the top. :)

Rob, it's still too early.. I haven't yet gotten my speakers yet!!! But I can tell that these panels have some major impact on the acoustics just by doing the hand-clapping test.

I expect my speakers to arrive next week or the week after. But right now I have a bigger problem to solve. As you might have read on my other post, I need to find out whether my Bryston 4B-SST amp is faulty in that it draws too much current when switched on and causing a trip, or it's the problem with my 15amp circuit breaker. I will bring the amp to my neighbour's home with exactly the same circuit wiring, if the amp still cause tripping, I have to send it back to Brysto for repair.. that will then be a disaster scenario  :o

lonewolfny42, I'm not calling it a "room"... it's a "lab".. :mrgreen:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:30 am »
lonewolfny42, I'm not calling it a "room"... it's a "lab"..
    Great.....mine's a "den"..... :jester: [/list:u]
      Happy experimenting !!! :D [/list:u]

95bcwh

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:37 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42

lonewolfny42, are you kidding me or what? I cannot imagine someone having a worse looking room than the one that I have. I take pride in being at the "No.1" spot that nobody desired...

Perhaps we can have a "ugly room" contest! :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:43 am »
Quote from: 95bcwh

lonewolfny42, are you kidding me or what? I cannot imagine someone having a worse looking room than the one that I have. I take pride in being at the "No.1" spot that nobody desired...

Perhaps we can have a "ugly room" contest! :lol:
Sorry....no pictures....
    Hint...my wife call's it....the warehouse.....("thats not a room, it's a warehouse"... :?  :lol: )[/list:u]

Gordy

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:54 am »
That's the Museum Of Modern Audio (MoMA)... LW just uses equipment the way others use sound panels  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:26 am »
I take pride in being at the "No.1" spot that nobody desired...
    Well 95bcwh.....Here's an old photo...from a past member(Chuck)....will be new to some....but not to those that have been here awhile. A little different idea about room accoustic's ....might even call it a "lab"...of a different sort.... :? [/list:u]
    [/list:u]

nathanm

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:33 am »
    Quote from: 95bcwh
    Don't get me wrong; the plaid fabric, odd mounting and horizontal arrangement of the panels isn't the most visually pleasing thing ever, but let's put a little perspective on what "ugly audio room" might mean. *link deleted*

lonewolfny42

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:37 am »
    And I thought Marbles was the only one to save all the photo's....and now nathan....guess Chuck is on the right road.... :lol:

Gordy

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:37 am »
    Ah, those were the days...

All in all, I think 95bcwh's Scottish theme works better, a few drams of malt scotch will ease the pain  :D  but in Chuck's place it could well add to the pain  :o

nathanm

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jun 2006, 05:52 am »
    Yeah, I've got 'em all lonewolf.  Even the "Connie Slab-Body" girl and the vintage motorcycle shots! Heh!

As for 95bcwh's panels I think that aesthetic problem isn't too hard to rememdy.  Just needs a fabric that compliments the wall color, and maybe a vertical rather than horizontal arrangement.  Other than that I was wondering about the wooden shelf things - I assume the reason for that is to avoid holes in the walls?  Because ideally the panels would look much better if they were hung on picture hangers with wire or similar.  But really, shouldn't a true audiophile be concerned solely with performance, looks be damned? :lol:

95bcwh

« Reply #16 on: 11 Jun 2006, 06:07 am »
    Quote from: nathanm
    Yeah, I've got 'em all lonewolf.  Even the "Connie Slab-Body" girl and the vintage motorcycle shots! Heh!

As for 95bcwh's panels I think that aesthetic problem isn't too hard to rememdy.  Just needs a fabric that compliments the wall color, and maybe a vertical rather than horizontal arrangement.  Other than that I was wondering about the wooden shelf things - I assume the reason for that is to avoid holes in the walls?  Because ideally the panels would look much better if they were hung on picture hange ...

You guys really crack me out.. especially that room.. I can't even see where the speakers are.. are you sure it's a "listening room"?

Now, this is not to defend myself at all, let me just explain the rational of why I did certain weird things, the horizontal arrangement for the side wall is done so that these panels covers sufficient area such that they will capture the first reflection point - no matter how I move my speakers around. I don't want to keep moving the panel while I optimize my speakers location.

That wooden shelf things is done because I was sicked and tired of finding the studs behind the wall, I bought a stud finder from Walmart, but that thing is not stable, a lot of time it tells me something is behind the wall, when I drilled into it, I found that there's no studs at all. So after messing around for a few hours, I just said to hell with all these, let me just quickly build some shelfs so I know exactly where the studs are!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 11 Jun 2006, 06:26 am »
    95bcwh.....With over 7,000 views....Chuck was serious about tweaking........it was no joke.

95bcwh

« Reply #18 on: 11 Jun 2006, 02:28 pm »
    95bcwh.....With over 7,000 views....Chuck was serious about tweaking........it was no joke.

Is Chuck really living in Florida? His decor looks very much Asian to me..

If that thing is so serious, it may well warrant an airfare from Houston to Florida for a audition :lol:

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
    « Reply #19 on: 11 Jun 2006, 04:02 pm »
    I'm in Fort Lauderdale, I would LOVE to experience that room, is Chuck still reachable?

I'm laughing and crying at the same time.

In the mmortal words of Isiah Thomas when he completed yet another headscratching trade for Steve Francis to play alongisde Stephon Marbury in the backcourt for the Knicks "Hell it's crazy enough it just might work."