VDA•2 Measurements

SatoriGFX

Re: VDA•2 Measurements
« Reply #40 on: 24 Jan 2007, 10:30 pm »
then use SPDIF out from my computer to the DAC :) I can't wait.

I don't even use my old transport (a DVD player which is back to only playing DVD's) at all now that I have a Squeezebox which works much better as a transport from both a sound and a convenience standpoint.  Maybe if I had a good transport like a CEC belt drive or similar I might feel differently.  It was a little bit of a chore to get my cd's transfered to hard drive (as lossless FLAC's) initially but now adding new cd's is quite fast.

Adam.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #41 on: 25 Jan 2007, 01:07 am »
Maybe if I had a good transport like a CEC belt drive or similar I might feel differently. 

Yes you would. :drool:

My Parasound/CEC belt drive transport was modded by Dan Wright.  That's a whole different performance level, in which I forget entirely I'm listening to digital recordings. 

I was thinking of adding a 'superclock', but Dusty told me I would not need it w/ his newer DAC.

SatoriGFX

« Reply #42 on: 25 Jan 2007, 02:23 am »

Yes you would. :drool:

My Parasound/CEC belt drive transport was modded by Dan Wright.  That's a whole different performance level, in which I forget entirely I'm listening to digital recordings. 

I was thinking of adding a 'superclock', but Dusty told me I would not need it w/ his newer DAC.

The thing is, now that I am used to the convenience of the Squeezebox I am not sure I could go back to an actual single cd transport, not to mention having to spend $1500 plus to get something like a CEC TL-51X.

Adam.

HumanMedia

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jan 2007, 01:10 pm »

Psychicanimal

« Reply #44 on: 26 Jan 2007, 02:57 pm »
Some positive words about the VDA2:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221401

Maybe we should have a raffle... :o

elg2001

« Reply #45 on: 2 Feb 2007, 03:54 am »
I just received my DAC and power supply and they're really nice. Sound is a little bit cleaner. The main bottleneck is now my piece of crap yamaha receiver from 12 years ago. I cant wait to get a new UcD-based amp... :)

CIAudio

« Reply #46 on: 2 Feb 2007, 04:11 am »
I would suggest an all CIAudio system, maybe a pair of D•200's and a PLC•1  :P

kkc

« Reply #47 on: 3 Feb 2007, 10:32 am »
elg2001, I would agree with Dusty.  It makes sense to buy components from one manf. if possible.  I just did that.  First I bought the D200s and the PLC together.  Then the VDA2 and VAC.  Then the Harmonic Tech cables.  Its a bit messy buying everything bit by bit, but each step proved to make a positive difference.  If you already have good cables, then probably you can skip these.  The D200s are extremely revealing and if cost is an issue, then these would be the ones to get followed by the PLC.  The only thing that the D200s lack is a 12V trigger cable, but just listen to the transparancy.... and you will be not care about the triggers.  Make sure your speakers are up to the job....!

A few years, back I bought an amp and speakers.  I went into the shop and I decided upon a pair of B&W 110i speakers.  Next I chose the stands and then we tried out a bunch of amps.  The best sound came from an Aura amp.  I had never heard of Aura before and never since, but the combination was really perfect.  I found out later that in fact the Aura was designed by B&W to match with their speakers - but for some reason they never advertised the fact.

Manufacturers go to great lengths to match up their components, so really the only question is whether you and Dusty share the same sound objectives - I like a lot of detail and depth but not at the expense of smoothness and I don't like my music to be as warm as tubes produce and definitely not clinical like an all digital amp or cold like a solid state.  The D200s do this for me. When connected into your system its almost like they are not there between the source and the speakers.