Recommend some new age music

Construct

Recommend some new age music
« on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:45 am »
I like Enya, Rissi, and a lot of other etherial/new age type music.  Can't say that I am a fan of some early new age that was redundant minimalist synth only.  How about some recommendations for some new age for my collection?
Thanks!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Recommend some new age music
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jul 2010, 04:04 am »
You might check out Patrick O'Hearn, I only have Between Two Worlds, but would say it qualifies. Also Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast. Jerry Goodman's On the Future of Aviation & Ariel are good as well. Not sure if Michael Rother would satisfy based on the synth qualification. Been a while since I listened to his discs, but Sterntaller is pretty nice in any case. You can always sample things. Good hunting, and listening.  :thumb:

Construct

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jul 2010, 04:06 am »
Cool.. I'll look into them. 
Additional Note:  I try to avoid music that has a really spitty-sounding digital percussion.  That is distracting and unnatural to me.
Pssst-splash---pssst-splash...  ugh.   
Edit:  I found Patrick O'Hearn, Two Worlds,. Also Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast and Jerry Goodman's On the Future of Aviation on amazon.com for a grand sum of: $10.00 total.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jul 2010, 04:32 am »
Good find. They would all probably qualify as late early to mid new age. Seems to me they date from the mid 90's +/-. You found all three for less than what one cost back then, nice deal. Hope you like them.

Construct

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2010, 04:43 am »
Good find. They would all probably qualify as late early to mid new age. Seems to me they date from the mid 90's +/-. You found all three for less than what one cost back then, nice deal. Hope you like them.
I did some homework by listening to them 1st on youtube. They sound nice.  Nice imagery in the videos.
Good call, thanks!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2010, 05:19 am »
Check out anything from Suzanne Ciani, Hotel Luna is one of my favorites but I actually love all 5 of her albums in my library. The others are Dream Suite, Neverland, Silver Ship, The Velocity of Love.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

JackD201

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2010, 05:26 am »
Pretty much everything from Blue Stone is good :)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jul 2010, 05:37 am »
Pretty much everything from Blue Stone is good :)

Thanks,,, that's 3 new age albums I didn't have.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2010, 10:51 am »
I'm not a huge new age fan but(there is always a but) I do like Shadowfax's 3rd offering

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowfax-Repackaged/dp/B000000NFC

Construct

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:23 am »
Check out anything from Suzanne Ciani, Hotel Luna is one of my favorites but I actually love all 5 of her albums in my library. The others are Dream Suite, Neverland, Silver Ship, The Velocity of Love.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
I just watched her on youtube, introduced live by "Geordi Laforge" (Levar Burton).  Very talented keyboardist..!
Easy to look at.

Construct

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:28 am »
I'm not a huge new age fan but(there is always a but) I do like Shadowfax's 3rd offering

http://www.amazon.com/Shadowfax-Repackaged/dp/B000000NFC
New age is a bit of a tangent for me.  The stuff I enjoy is energetic and eclectic.  It's a totally different direction than rock, jazz or classical.  I am surprised that some of it is fusion-like, and may contain significant bass content and dynamics.  Excluding the sleepy "quietude"  stuff of course.  I am not looking to new age as simply a relaxing music, more so a different listening experience.  Elements of world music are also enjoyable.
Good call folks, I snagged all 3 for ... $20.00 total.

BobRex

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2010, 11:59 am »
Well, Mike Oldfield gets put in the New Age bins anymore, so if you haven't spent much time with his music, start with Tubular Bells (the original and TB2), then go to Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, from ther you can hit the more "traditional" New Agey type stuff like Voyager. 

I'd also look into the Paul Winter Consort if you want to skirt the jazz side of New Age.  Again, the Consort started as jazz, but eventually ended up under New Age.

Construct

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2010, 12:07 pm »
Well, Mike Oldfield gets put in the New Age bins anymore, so if you haven't spent much time with his music, start with Tubular Bells (the original and TB2), then go to Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, from ther you can hit the more "traditional" New Agey type stuff like Voyager. 

I'd also look into the Paul Winter Consort if you want to skirt the jazz side of New Age.  Again, the Consort started as jazz, but eventually ended up under New Age.
Yep, I had tubular bells on vinyl, now on cee dee.

keenween

« Reply #13 on: 19 Jul 2010, 12:15 pm »
Ray Lynch - Deep Breakfast

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #14 on: 19 Jul 2010, 01:32 pm »
Check out Keiko Matsui.  Keiko's music is a mix of classical, jazz, and New Age elements.  I own all her cds.
http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1279546000/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&keywords=matsui%20keiko&rh=n%3A5174%2Cn%3A%21301668%2Ck%3Amatsui%20keiko&page=1

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2010, 02:21 pm »
I like newage music, but since 1992 when I knew Steve Roach I giveup with newage music to listen the Ambient Music of Steve Roach... a very huge soundstage.
I will even made a OB speaker to get again that huge dipole soundfield, I may addited on desert music, it is so huge...
http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Roach/e/B000APVDHO

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2010, 02:50 pm »
Daisaku-"Eastern Shore"
Found it at the library, then bought the CD..a hint of eastern with incredible musicianship. :thumb: :thumb:

Bemopti123

« Reply #17 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:27 pm »
I just watched her on youtube, introduced live by "Geordi Laforge" (Levar Burton).  Very talented keyboardist..!
Easy to look at.

Later Suzanne Ciani is too cheesy and poppy.  I would stop at around "Hotel Luna"...He "Pianissimo" is excellent.

arthurs

« Reply #18 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:30 pm »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jul 2010, 03:32 pm »
Two recent faves for me are these ECM label recordings that are more guitar and brass oriented jazz but still New Age-ish in that they flow over you rather than demand a lot of melody perception.  I find that many classic new Age releases became dated and too synth for me.  I do agree, though, that some Patrick O'Hearn and Jerry Goodman stuff is pretty timeless.

The Ralph Towner (ex Orgeon) one is acoustic guitar and trumpet.  Nice combo, really.