Recommend some new age music

flintstone

Re: Recommend some new age music
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jul 2010, 02:47 pm »
Just the test for my VMPS new larger subwoofer.  It seems to thrive in the 1st octave and subsonics.

Well, I have a pair of VMPS subs so I know your sub will enjoy the workout  :thumb:

Dave

Construct

« Reply #41 on: 21 Jul 2010, 05:31 pm »
Well, I have a pair of VMPS subs so I know your sub will enjoy the workout  :thumb:

Dave
Maybe one day I'll get a second, but in this house, two would overwhelm my listening room.  :o

Construct

« Reply #42 on: 22 Jul 2010, 03:54 am »
My 1st disc arrived today:  Patrick O' Hearn: between two worlds.  I do have BEST:  Leo Kottke on the way.   :thumb:

vinyl_lady

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2010, 04:33 am »
Nice read vinyl works for you.   I have a little more demanding and can not accept the hiss or wear that all vinyl has, also I can not afford to wastebin a expensive vinyl disc after a dozens listen or so.
Of course the vinyl big cover is great.
Regards
I apologize for being off topic, but I couldn't let FULLRANGEMAN's bias against vinyl playback go unanswered. With all due respect, I think you have or had a system problem. I listen to vinyl 90% of the time and 90% of the new music I buy is vinyl. I do not have hiss or wear problems. Most of the new vinyl I buy is dead quiet--no hiss, no snap, crackle & pop. If I happen to get a defective pressing, I return it for a replacement. I have vinyl from the 60's and 70's that is quiet and sounds as good today after 100 or more plays as it did when it was brand new. It is all about taking care of your records, cleaning them and storing them in sleeves like the MoFi sleeves, investing in a quality TT, tonearm and cartridge and keeping your stylus clean. To my ears, vinyl sounds more natural, more organic and more real than any digital format I have heard and I have heard them all. Yes, vinyl requires more care and more patience than digital, but there is a reason for the world-wide resurrgence of vinyl and why it is the only physical medium to show increased sales each of the past 4 years--and that reason is sound quality.

Laura
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2010, 01:41 pm by vinyl_lady »

Construct

« Reply #45 on: 22 Jul 2010, 04:49 am »
To my ears, vinyl sounds more natural, more organic and more real than any digital format I have heard and I have heard them all.
Laura
I agree.  I have compared my modestly appointed Linn Lp-12 with vinyl vs the same recording on SACD through my (former) modded sony scd-1.  The vinyl had a much more "liquid"  and warm/natural midrange.  The SACD wasn't as natural.  When I bought the SACD player the shop owner said "I'll take a $600 table and $300 cart over any digital front end at any price."  He was a big Von Swiekert fan, and did not own a cd player. None of his demo records (regardless of age)  hissed or popped at any time.  The only reason I don't own vinyl now, is my laziness for upkeep.  I would religiously clean LP's.  I rarely got traces of noise.
BTW:  I peeked.  Those Deadalus speakers look very nice!

Construct

« Reply #46 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:14 am »
Update:  Shadowfax/shadowdance, Suzanne Ciani/hotel luna and Jerry Goodman/on the future of aviation arrived today.

1ZIP

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:42 am »
If you like those try:

Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges
Vapor Drawings - Mark Isham
Earth - Peter Kater
Deja-Blues - Steven Halpern
Indian Summer - Friedemann

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #48 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:52 am »
If you like those try:

Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges

+1 If you like Leo odds are good you'll like Michael. Got to see him open for Leo many years back. Amazing guitarist, a shame he passed so early.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #49 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:59 am »
+1 If you like Leo odds are good you'll like Michael. Got to see him open for Leo many years back. Amazing guitarist, a shame he passed so early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIN13aDbCc

Construct

« Reply #50 on: 23 Jul 2010, 04:33 am »
I ordered Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges and Vapor Drawings - Mark Isham. I found a cd that had been collecting dust: Andreas vollenweider:  Eolian minstrel.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #51 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:45 pm »
BTW:  I peeked.  Those Deadalus speakers look very nice!
Thanks, they sound even better, especially after I had Lou install the all poly caps crossovers. Sorry I can't help you with new age music--not something I listen to.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #52 on: 23 Jul 2010, 12:51 pm »
this falls somewhere between New Age and Ambient..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QQY6K8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000003CAD&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0MZMSWAZ7JR5YTYN2NJJ
Hi,
Thanks for show us this album, very nice Lounge Music, I should pointout the wonderful cover, a Baoba tree, I love big trees.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #53 on: 23 Jul 2010, 01:04 pm »
I ordered Aerial Boundaries - Michael Hedges and Vapor Drawings - Mark Isham. I found a cd that had been collecting dust: Andreas vollenweider:  Eolian minstrel.
Hi,
I think you will like this Michael Hedges cd(Live on Double Planet) the best disc on Michael Hedges catalogue IMO :thumb:

Track 7 (Rikki's Shuffle) is a stunning Michael Manring wha wha bass solo to creepy mustache...
Listen Samples: http://www.amazon.com/Live-Double-Planet-Michael-Hedges/dp/B000000NGZ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279889598&sr=1-1

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 23 Jul 2010, 02:10 pm »
I apologize for being off topic, but I couldn't let FULLRANGEMAN's bias against vinyl playback go unanswered. With all due respect, I think you have or had a system problem. I listen to vinyl 90% of the time and 90% of the new music I buy is vinyl. I do not have hiss or wear problems. Most of the new vinyl I buy is dead quiet--no hiss, no snap, crackle & pop. If I happen to get a defective pressing, I return it for a replacement. I have vinyl from the 60's and 70's that is quiet and sounds as good today after 100 or more plays as it did when it was brand new. It is all about taking care of your records, cleaning them and storing them in sleeves like the MoFi sleeves, investing in a quality TT, tonearm and cartridge and keeping your stylus clean. To my ears, vinyl sounds more natural, more organic and more real than any digital format I have heard and I have heard them all. Yes, vinyl requires more care and more patience than digital, but there is a reason for the world-wide resurrgence of vinyl and why it is the only physical medium to show increased sales each of the past 4 years--and that reason is sound quality.

Laura
Dear Vinyl Lady,
I shall thank you for your kind reply, surely it is I who must apologize for open my big mouth.
I will ask your permisson to be honest and not lie to you at all, to confess Iam biased against LP and Open Reel Tapes, there are some reasons:
>> as a vinyl disc works by friction will always be various types of noises and wear.  The problem is me, Iam very much sensible to the LP/vinyl format noises, it annoy me so hi I giveup vinyl in 1985 and do not wish back, since then I have no more loss of LPs by scrath or overusage. 
>> I used a Garrard table and MM Shure and a Dynavector cartridges at the 70/80 decades with 1,9grams, now 2010 seems to me there is no news about a magical MC Cartridge that works fine with 0,5gram or even 1,0gram pressure, au contraire most today MC cartridges need work at 2 to 3 grams pressure, If I wrong fell free to inform.

Of course the vinyl lovers personal taste is sovereign.  On my part I will be not fooled again by worn LPs and 65dBs of dinamic range.
I believe Vinyl will outlive rbCDs.  To my personal taste SACD is the only format that satisfies my needs, mainly now with the PCM DXD and DSD128 harddisk recorders and more DSD editing capabilities.
What I can say more??
Seems the home music market will be shared by various media formats for long time, Iam aware an great music format as vinyl or SACD can not satisfy everyone because of the diverse and numerous preferences of people.
Regards, Gustavo

Construct

« Reply #55 on: 23 Jul 2010, 03:09 pm »
Thanks, they sound even better, especially after I had Lou install the all poly caps crossovers. Sorry I can't help you with new age music--not something I listen to.
When I mod my speakers, electrolytic caps are banned.  I know some speakers (even not so inexpensive)  that will cut corners an use electrolytics on larger caps.  I use a variety of metallized poly.  Sonicap, auricap, etc.  Makes a huge difference.  The biggest difference are the caps directly in line with the drivers.  The blocking caps seem to help stabilize imaging better.  1%  would be considered one of the looser tolerances I use.  My VMPS xover caps were trimmed to within a fraction of 1%.  Friends don't let friends use cheap caps.  High ESR caps are fidelity's krptonite.

1ZIP

« Reply #56 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:35 am »
A Produce - The Golden Needle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhOjnqSI5n4

Construct

« Reply #57 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:48 am »
A Produce - The Golden Needle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhOjnqSI5n4
That's a nice sonic landscape... smooth and relaxing.   :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:54 am »
Incendio: Illumination (2001)

New age world fusion intrumental, full of life. Just discovered this album tonite.  :thumb:
 samples

Cheers,
Robin

Exxclusively heard on Hard Drive

Construct

« Reply #59 on: 24 Jul 2010, 04:59 am »
Incendio: Illumination (2001)

New age world fusion intrumental, full of life. Just discovered this album tonite.  :thumb:
 samples

Cheers,
Robin

Exxclusively heard on Hard Drive
That is quite nice... I like the use of real instruments more than the programmed stuff but--this album has broad appeal.  There is a lot going on!