TBI Millenia MG3 Class BD Integrated Audio Amplifier..A Modern Day Giant Killer!

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
Class T is class d. Calling it class t was just a marketing ploy.

I don't care what it calls. I care that is complete different sound between them. I'm not listing specifications! I'm pleasing my ears

Ritchie

mytubes211

• Please no BS !!!
Great review, mytubes211!  Looks like yet another person finds the amp quite musical.

It is interesting that you found the unit to work best as a power amp.  I think that may be system dependant.  With my setup, connecting the tube Modwright Oppo directly to the TBI actually was slightly superior overall to running it as a power amp.  Each perspective owner will need to sort that out on their own system. 

For Low Wattage enthusiasts, this amp is definitely worth an audition.

Thanks and absolutely agree with you on Low Wattage guy's           Ritchie

Quiet Earth

When this thread is over it will be interesting to see how many of you sell your expensive SETs ( or other favorite go-to amp) and replace it with the TBI.

OzarkTom

When this thread is over it will be interesting to see how many of you sell your expensive SETs ( or other favorite go-to amp) and replace it with the TBI.

I will sell you an expensive SET right now, if you are interested. I  have already sold my Sophia SET amp, that one didn't even come close at all next to the TBI.

Quiet Earth

No, that's not what I meant. But thanks for the offer.  :D

Here in the land of low wattage systems, many of us SET die hards keep an eye out for a sweet sounding, cool running summer amp. Maybe the TBI will finally be that amp? Quietly watching . . . .

Freo-1

No, that's not what I meant. But thanks for the offer.  :D

Here in the land of low wattage systems, many of us SET die hards keep an eye out for a sweet sounding, cool running summer amp. Maybe the TBI will finally be that amp? Quietly watching . . . .

Now, I think you may be on to somthing here.   :thumb:

This amp, to me, is one that is added to the stable of one's existing amps for occasional use and enjoyment. 

wushuliu

And for those of us who want SET-like performance with less sensitive speakers it's a great option.

HiFi Buck

So is this a good amp to put into my main system and drive a pair of Tekton M-Lores with?

wushuliu

So is this a good amp to put into my main system and drive a pair of Tekton M-Lores with?

Absolutely...

tabrink

• lake life is good
Lores no problem!
Here is this little guy pushing my Vandersteens around via a my passive pre (my preference as it has multiple inputs)  8)

Hanging awg #8 speaker wires requires horizontal placing.
« Last Edit: 26 Aug 2012, 03:14 pm by tabrink »

Rclark

I'm definitely going to pull out my monitors for this amp, they should play together well.

OzarkTom

I am finding out that the batteries on the amp tour are not lasting on a charge like they should be. It could be that they are just worn out and the heat they are riding in these semis have flat out drained them.  A recent trucker that delivered here at my frame shop said that the interior of his trailer has been hitting over 145 degrees in this heat wave.

If it is all right to the tour people here, will you allow me to pull the amp off and get some new batteries in place. Also, my buddy Rex has finished the RCA mods and the amp is now about 25% better. I think that that is a significant improvement to get the tour amp updated. From the bass to the top end is better, more tranparecy, more detail, and a bigger soundstage. Vocals are better also.

Any objections from The Dirty Dozen+two? :thumb:

Freo-1

Sounds like a good plan, Tom.

The batteries were giving up the ghost after only a few hours when the unit was in house.  Perhaps all that travelling around has shortened their life.  The amp should definitely be auditioned with good batteries.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Tom,

No prob.

As soon as you know, could you project the dates for each stop on the tour (so each of us can plan for it). 

For instance, occasionally I'm away from home for 2 - 5 nights at a time (including this next week and again probably in October).

Thanks for your sacriice and efforts.

rodge827

A pit stop for refueling and better parts is a great idea  :thumb:.
No worries here  :D.
When the amp is back on the tack I'll be ready to give it a run  8).

OzarkTom

Tom,

No prob.

As soon as you know, could you project the dates for each stop on the tour (so each of us can plan for it). 

For instance, occasionally I'm away from home for 2 - 5 nights at a time (including this next week and again probably in October).

Thanks for your sacriice and efforts.

I will try. If any of you see that you might need to trade places with another, just let me know. Rodge827 did, and now I see that he is ready to listen. He will be next after this brief pitstop.

OzarkTom

The tour amp has been shipped back. As soon as the amp has been modded, we will get the amp back on the road. Thank you for your patience. :thumb:

rodge827

Tom,
Take all the time you need.
Thanks for continuing to mod the amp during the tour...way cool  8)
Have a great and relaxing Labor Day Weekend  :D

Chris

Freo-1

I have in house an updated TBI amp with the updated RCA jacks and binding posts.  The amp is still breaking in, but so far, performance is very impressive indeed.  As posted earlier, the updated RCA’s help out even with the AC power supply. 

The TBI MG3 has proven to me that cost alone does not ensure improved performance.  This amp easily provides musical enjoyment that MANY far more costly amps simply do not achieve.  Granted, the speakers need to be a good match for the unit (SPL and impedance).  For those who own a setup that supports low wattage playback, a strong recommendation to audition the TBI is warranted. 

Ispec2

Comments from my short time spent with TBI. My speakers are Zu Definition MK4's, 101db sensitivity with on board powered sub. Amp is a Melody I2A3. The first night I listened on ac power, the sound was decent but not very engaging, thin sounding. The second night although I knew I was not going to be able to sit and listen I hooked up the batteries and turned it on. Working in the adjacent room it kept grabbing my attention. I had to keep running in to sit and listen for a few minutes. I could tell right away it was a much different amp on battery power. Unfortunately the batteries did not last very long. I charged them overnight with the thought of spending most of the weekend doing some serious listening. I began listening again on Sat. playing select cuts from different discs. I was really surprised on how much better the bass was on battery power and as Tom has been saying sound staging and imaging is just crazy good. I was listening fairly loud most of the time and the amp seemed to be coasting along unfortunately the batteries died again after about 2 hours. The Melody being a quality amp although not up to the level of the Zu's does an admiral job with them. As short as my time was with the TBI I'd say it trumps the Melody in every aspect. I must say the Melody is the only amp I have heard with Def 4's so I have no other comparison's. It would be nice to try it with a pre amp to gain at least another input. No doubt it will get better with the coming tweaks.