DIY Rack

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
Re: DIY Rack
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2021, 05:54 pm »
Wow!  I love the design and the woodwork is excellent too.

Not sure where this falls on the woodworking skills continuum- it's not terribly difficult but it is handy to have some nice tools. Anyway, I'm in the middle of building my rack right now. It is heavily based on a design I saw and liked called the quattrabase - with a few changes. My design will have spikes on all 4 legs that will sit in cups on the platform beneath it. Then each level will have a second platform suspended on isolation feet. That way the whole thing is using both types of vibration dampening.

Here is the quattrabase that was the inspiration:

Wow!  That's an elegant design and beautiful rack. 

« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2021, 08:48 pm by Jazzman53 »

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #21 on: 20 Jul 2021, 07:21 pm »
Not all stone is resonant. I used Pennsylvania Slate on a rack I built several years ago. Slate is a sedimentary rock, fairly dense, and non-resonant. Here's a very old pic from my gallery here:

The only problem with this rack was its weight. I had to enlist the help of one of my grandsons when I changed listening rooms. That was simpler than dis assembly.

Jazzman53

« Reply #22 on: 20 Jul 2021, 08:55 pm »
I built this one 13 years ago.  Red oak with thru tenons, slatted sides, adjustable slatted mid-shelf and a drawer for cables & such:

zenfishbike

« Reply #23 on: 20 Jul 2021, 10:18 pm »

Yes it's a mess and I'm certainly not recommending this as a good sounding permanent solution as it's nothing more than 3/4 MDF shelfs on large wooden blocks, however there are a few design cues that may be helpful. First, it's long and low and doesn't seem to hurt the soundstage too bad (Note its well behind the speakers). Next, the two outside "wings" angle out into the room a bit to allow easier access to the rear panels. Lastly, there are two long strips of wood with dowels spaced along them mounted to the back wall, one above the other. This is to assist in managing the rats nest of cabling going on back there.

Eventually I'll be moving everything except the tube amps to a side wall with decent sounding DIY stands, so I'm watching this thread with great interest.

RonP

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jul 2021, 10:44 pm »
I built this one 13 years ago.  Red oak with thru tenons, slatted sides, adjustable slatted mid-shelf and a drawer for cables & such:

you don't have ventilation issues?

Jazzman53

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:10 pm »
you don't have ventilation issues?

Not really.  What isn't apparent from the photo:
- The backside is open and 3 1/2" away from the wall.
- The sides are slatted like a picket fence (Mission style)
- The bottom has routed-in cooling slots and the middle shelf is slatted (50% open) for convective air flow.
- There are spacers between the amps.
- The Carver amps are efficient 3-rail class G, which run cooler than single rail A/B amps. 

Early B.

« Reply #26 on: 20 Jul 2021, 11:41 pm »
C'mon woodworkers -- this is an easy win. Build flat pack stackable racks. Two height options for each level (say 8" and 12") with real wood "butcher blocks" for racks. The end user stains it. We have plenty of experts on AC to talk novices through the staining process. 

Who's gonna start posting some design concepts???

sumoking

« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2021, 05:11 am »
C'mon woodworkers -- this is an easy win. Build flat pack stackable racks. Two height options for each level (say 8" and 12") with real wood "butcher blocks" for racks. The end user stains it. We have plenty of experts on AC to talk novices through the staining process. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Awesome Post.... These will sell like hot cakes!

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2021, 04:40 pm »
If you're willing to go non-diy and industrial metal, Boltz has been my favorite.  My wife disagrees.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:54 pm »
EarlyB, you hit it out of the park with those designs. So attractive!

Early B.

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:01 pm »
EarlyB, you hit it out of the park with those designs. So attractive!

I found these designs on the Internet just to get the more creative folks on this forum something to consider.

subsonic1050

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2021, 09:55 pm »
I finished my rack today. As I mentioned on my post about my servo subs - the lighting in my listening room is terrible. Hopefully the pictures from a different room give some idea what it looks like.

Early B.

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2021, 10:15 pm »
I finished my rack today.

That's beyond incredible.

Chewbacca

« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2021, 10:26 pm »
I finished my rack today.

Wow... I'm so jealous.

I really wanted to make my own rack, but I just didn't have the time... Or I guess, make the time. I LOVE your design, this is right up my alley! The use of the isolation pads underneath the what I assume is Solid Surface? is really top notch! You even made it fully modular...... Man... I'm just shaking my head in jealousy! :lol:

WELL DONE! :bowdown:

subsonic1050

« Reply #34 on: 22 Jul 2021, 12:36 am »
Thanks very much Early and Chewbacca. If people are genuinely interested I can throw up a short build summary. It seriously is not a difficult build, just a little time consuming. If people were serious about trying to make a version of their own I could mill up some templates on the CNC that would allow you to make it yourself. All you'd need would be a decent router, preferably a router table, a 3/4" flush trim bit with enough cutting depth for whatever you use for your platforms (could purchase butcher block, cutting boards, old bowling alleys, etc) and a decent set of forstner bits. I did a few other things with mine - I put pockets in the shelves and on the underside of the platforms to nest the isolation feet - that way everything is always neatly aligned. I also used square stock with rounded corners for the legs, which required a bit more work for the mortises that hold the legs - but you could just use round dowels and just use a forstner bit to make your mortises.

Oh, and chewbacca - the platforms are actually not solid surface - they are 3/4" MDF that I primed and painted. It was a bit of a test for paint choice on the inside of the NX-Treme's whenever I get my flat packs. The paint was water based alkyd enamel paint - MUCH better choice than latex paint. It takes longer to dry, but dries smoother and harder - it shouldn't get full of dust after it has cured like my latex did on my servo sub build. I'll definitely be using alkyd enamel paint from now on.

Chewbacca

« Reply #35 on: 22 Jul 2021, 12:55 am »
The whole concept matches the NX's bases perfectly.

Got them bad boys glued up finally btw! :thumb:

What did you use for a primer? I was planning on using B-I-N Shellac. I'll look for water based alkyd enamel paint for the finish coats!! Thanks! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2021, 07:12 am by Chewbacca »

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #36 on: 22 Jul 2021, 02:30 am »
That is perfection Subsonic! Awesomeness :thumb:

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #37 on: 22 Jul 2021, 06:43 am »
Butcher Block Acoustics makes really nice solid maple or walnut racks in various sizes that are reasonaby priced for solid wood racks. Sold knocked-down and you assemble yourself. If you bought maple, you could also stain to your preference.

https://butcherblockacoustics.com/collections/rigidrack™-audio-furniture

Doublej

« Reply #38 on: 22 Jul 2021, 11:45 am »
A couple more.

Somewhere on the net there are plans posted for a Salamander Synergy DIY clone. One purchases aluminum rails and shelf tabs and then make your own shelves for it.

Early B.

« Reply #39 on: 22 Jul 2021, 03:02 pm »
Butcher Block Acoustics makes really nice solid maple or walnut racks in various sizes that are reasonaby priced for solid wood racks. Sold knocked-down and you assemble yourself. If you bought maple, you could also stain to your preference.

https://butcherblockacoustics.com/collections/rigidrack™-audio-furniture

Pricey.

Instead, if you want or need a long rack, buy two of these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HARDWOOD-REFLECTIONS-Saman-4-ft-L-x-18-in-D-x-1-5-in-T-Butcher-Block-Bar-Countertop-in-Clear-UV-Stain-with-Live-Edge-1524EGBTSAMUV48/314672612

Add your choice of table legs and a brace on the rear. Maybe something industrial like 2 sets of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FPZK4W3/ref=sspa_dk_detail_2?pd_rd_i=B07FPZK4W3&pd_rd_w=xdy4F&pf_rd_p=eff89026-4a7e-4247-9014-41bfda9dafc0&pd_rd_wg=XLPqJ&pf_rd_r=CDXG8Y6BJYYSNWX1YARR&pd_rd_r=ceb6b66f-158b-437b-abd0-7b9afb738f89&smid=A2GKBIZ6SOZS8L&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzR1k4U1BKQk1HTFIwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjQ4NjgyMjREQlc0WERNMzVWOSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDkzOTQ4S0pSUldaSzFWMEtPJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

A drill and some spray paint for the legs and you're done in under $500 with a gorgeous and unique audio rack.