DIY Rack

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: DIY Rack
« Reply #40 on: 22 Jul 2021, 03:51 pm »
Thanks very much Early and Chewbacca. If people are genuinely interested I can throw up a short build summary. It seriously is not a difficult build, just a little time consuming. If people were serious about trying to make a version of their own I could mill up some templates on the CNC that would allow you to make it yourself. All you'd need would be a decent router, preferably a router table, a 3/4" flush trim bit with enough cutting depth for whatever you use for your platforms (could purchase butcher block, cutting boards, old bowling alleys, etc) and a decent set of forstner bits. I did a few other things with mine - I put pockets in the shelves and on the underside of the platforms to nest the isolation feet - that way everything is always neatly aligned. I also used square stock with rounded corners for the legs, which required a bit more work for the mortises that hold the legs - but you could just use round dowels and just use a forstner bit to make your mortises.

Oh, and chewbacca - the platforms are actually not solid surface - they are 3/4" MDF that I primed and painted. It was a bit of a test for paint choice on the inside of the NX-Treme's whenever I get my flat packs. The paint was water based alkyd enamel paint - MUCH better choice than latex paint. It takes longer to dry, but dries smoother and harder - it shouldn't get full of dust after it has cured like my latex did on my servo sub build. I'll definitely be using alkyd enamel paint from now on.

Very nice. I would be interested in a set of templates for sure

subsonic1050

« Reply #41 on: 23 Jul 2021, 01:59 am »
Hey Mike, send me a PM with your address and I'll work on getting something out to you. I'll just charge you shipping. Shouldn't be much - maybe $20 or $25?

rbbert

« Reply #42 on: 23 Jul 2021, 03:01 am »
Adona sells a variety of racks as well as components to help you make your own (DIY).  IMHO their products are of a quality and performance far in excess of their cost, and the DIY option is even more cost effective

http://www.adonacorporation.com/products.html

NoahH

« Reply #43 on: 24 Jul 2021, 01:12 am »
I had never seen Adina before - that plus butcher blocks or counter remnants could be great!

Early B.

« Reply #44 on: 7 Aug 2021, 10:47 pm »
Here's my newly built DIY audio rack...specs include 48"x18"x1.5" shelves made of pre-finished saman wood with six 12" industrial steel pipes holding it up and four Herbie's giant threaded sliders on the bottom and rubber gaskets wherever the steel meets the wood. Extremely sturdy. Rack weighs about 100 lbs. Simple to put together. Blends well with the decor. It will easily accommodate approximately 280 lbs of my gear.   

Jay Decker

« Reply #45 on: 8 Aug 2021, 12:29 am »

Love that aesthetic!  Excellent work - congratulations!

subsonic1050

« Reply #46 on: 8 Aug 2021, 02:30 am »
Nice work Early!

Barryg443

« Reply #47 on: 8 Aug 2021, 03:02 am »
Looks great! 

Barry