Thought I would update my build here. I've fully completed 1 of the speakers at this point. It was a bit sketchy doing the 1st veneer piece, but I got the process down with it and the rest went pretty well. I used pencils to be able to line it up before it touched. That made it much easier. Also, I got a replacement tweeter on Friday for the one that was DOA and the replacement was DOA as well. I wasn't able to test it till the evening so I guess I'll be calling again on Monday. I've confirmed it's for sure a tweeter problem by using the all the tweeters on both crossovers.
This is after I got all the veneer sections on the 1st speaker.
Got the top trimmed and cut out the holes for the drivers and binding post cups. I was able to get it trimmed up with just a razor and 220 grit sandpaper.
After test fitting everything on the veneered speaker I noticed I could see the MDF around the drivers. So I just painted the edge of the cutouts with some black paint from a rock painting kit my kids had lying around. I should have noticed this before doing the 1st veneer because it would have been way easier to paint it.
1st speaker fully assembled. I think it looks great considering how much of this process I've never done before.
This is a size reference to the mini on my desk next to a 27" monitor. I've been listening to it some today (all by it's lonesome self) and it sounds pretty impressive. I can't wait to hear how a pair of them sound.