New Guy Orders "The Mini"

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
New Guy Orders "The Mini"
« on: 30 Jun 2021, 06:14 am »
Hi Guy's, New to the forums because I got in early on the new "The Mini" speakers.
They are in my price range and if Danny thinks they are good then yes.
And then after checking around these may be more high-end then I think.
I would like to know what the dimensions are, so if 12" clamps will be long enough or will I need 18"? Ill know when my flatpack arrives.
Danny did say he would do a build series on it so that's cool.
I ordered DuraTex with my kit and got the Sonicaps upgrades as well.
This will be fun and I will update the build as it progresses.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: New Guy Orders "The Mini"
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2021, 07:29 pm »
Welcome to AC! 

hawkeyejw

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2021, 08:03 pm »
Welcome aboard!

Skilly

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2021, 02:50 am »
Welcome Newguy. I hope you will take photos and post them about your build. This new speaker has many excited. based on past flat packs, the fitment should be pretty good, but please do comment about that as well. For a speaker forum there is a surprising amount of talk about clamps here. So, any discussion of your clamps, with details and photos please, will be well received.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2021, 03:08 am »
Welcome to AC!
I've seen a few orders that added Duratex, it's pretty great stuff and easy to work with.
Danny just sprayed his demo pair he showed in the video a really neat color earlier this evening, they're really going to pop once their done.

I actually want to build a pair for fun now cuz I have an idea for a neat  that would be a small tribute to my favorite Scottish distillery
The trick will be finding a decently correct color..
BUT my Studios & X-Statiks gotta come first.. lol

As for clamp size. I think a 12" might work, but I'll need to measure the cabinet tomorrow to be certain. I think its about 10" tall?
A few 18" clamps for the top/bottom would be a safer bet tho, with strap-clamps for the sides.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2021, 05:33 pm »
Thankyou to everyone!
Yes on the clamps, I also think I will need at least 2 18"'s.
I wont know until they are done, but I think I will use a small sub to go with them. I have been looking at the RSL Speedwoofer. Its $400 and has a lot of good reviews.
I was informed that the order is on the way and should arrive early next week! :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2021, 07:03 pm »
The cabinets are 10" tall, 7" wide, 7.5" deep

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2021, 09:26 pm »
Welcome to AC!
I've seen a few orders that added Duratex, it's pretty great stuff and easy to work with.
Danny just sprayed his demo pair he showed in the video a really neat color earlier this evening, they're really going to pop once their done.

I actually want to build a pair for fun now cuz I have an idea for a neat  that would be a small tribute to my favorite Scottish distillery
The trick will be finding a decently correct color..
BUT my Studios & X-Statiks gotta come first.. lol

As for clamp size. I think a 12" might work, but I'll need to measure the cabinet tomorrow to be certain. I think its about 10" tall?
A few 18" clamps for the top/bottom would be a safer bet tho, with strap-clamps for the sides.

I gotta ask, which distillery? Mine's Ardbeg

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2021, 09:56 pm »
Bruichalddich!
Roughly half of my 80-bottle collection is from them alone..  :lol:
Bruichladdich, Port Charlotte, Octomore & Botanist are all made there all of them are fantastic.

Ardbeg is pretty good too tho. I have a bottle of Uegadial and Dark Cove currently. :P

But this is the color scheme i would go for:

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jul 2021, 10:25 pm »
Nothing wrong with the Laddie, but i'll take the Uigeadail any day, hits my sweet spot.

Yummmmmm

Don

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2021, 11:03 pm »
I don't drink anymore but back when I did, Springbank was my favorite.  The 15 year old in particular was simply amazing.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2021, 12:10 am »
Nothing wrong with the Laddie, but i'll take the Uigeadail any day, hits my sweet spot.

Yummmmmm

Don

I really enjoy Laddie, but I really adore their heavily-peated Port Charlotte and Octomore lines.. I have over a dozen unique bottles of Octomore including the X4+10 at 70%ABV & 2 bottles of the 2019 Feis Ile release, Event Horizon, matured in PX & Oloroso for 12 years.
Their peated whiskies tend to lack the medicinal/iodine notes of most other smokey Islay/peated malts, it really allows the cereal barley notes to shine thru the dense smoke. Just wish it wasnt so dang expensive!  :cry:

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2021, 03:39 am »
Love the Port Charlotte as well, unfortunately single malts, like audio, can be a pricey sport. My goal has always been to have a top sounding system with brands that no one knows, for me that's where the joy is, like unearthing that rare bottle.

Cheers,

Don

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2021, 03:40 am »
Tyson;

A good friend of mine just became a distiller there, can't wait to visit!!

Don

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2021, 07:30 pm »
Bruichalddich!
Roughly half of my 80-bottle collection is from them alone..  :lol:
Bruichladdich, Port Charlotte, Octomore & Botanist are all made there all of them are fantastic.

Ardbeg is pretty good too tho. I have a bottle of Uegadial and Dark Cove currently. :P

Nice! I just got two Glencairn whisky glasses the other day to enjoy singlemalts.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2021, 09:12 pm »
Nice! I just got two Glencairn whisky glasses the other day to enjoy singlemalts.

I've probably got 30 of those glasses for enjoying Scotch and Bourbon

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #16 on: 5 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm »
I just saw the "Building the "Mini" Crossover Assembly!" video and made a post.
"I am waiting for my kit and these videos are awesome. I like that you painted over the DeraTex. The blue looks nice. I did go for the fancy caps so one less thing to solder lol. Is there enough room for T-nuts? I have had problems with mdf stripping the screw holes. I think I will try to find someone with a router near me to round over the sides on front baffle. I like that look. Thanks Danny for doing this. The DIY 16 strand speaker cables will be next."
Hopefully someone local can roundover the sides for a nominal charge. I don't want to buy a router and a bit just for 30 seconds of use. On the T-nuts, I also want to be able to bolt mini to a speaker stand.
Here is a shot of where the mini's will live.

So near field, low to medium volume, next to the wall, desktop experience lol.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jul 2021, 04:17 am »
I just saw the "Building the "Mini" Crossover Assembly!" video and made a post.
"I am waiting for my kit and these videos are awesome. I like that you painted over the DeraTex. The blue looks nice. I did go for the fancy caps so one less thing to solder lol. Is there enough room for T-nuts? I have had problems with mdf stripping the screw holes. I think I will try to find someone with a router near me to round over the sides on front baffle. I like that look. Thanks Danny for doing this. The DIY 16 strand speaker cables will be next."
Hopefully someone local can roundover the sides for a nominal charge. I don't want to buy a router and a bit just for 30 seconds of use. On the T-nuts, I also want to be able to bolt mini to a speaker stand.
Here is a shot of where the mini's will live.

So near field, low to medium volume, next to the wall, desktop experience lol.

While I've never had a problem with the screws Danny provides in his kits, If I do want to use a bolt in MDF, I tend to prefer threaded inserts to T-nuts. Cleaner and easier to install. I've used these with 12" drivers  and for stand mounting  https://www.ezlok.com/ezhex-insert-901032-13 

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2021, 12:54 pm »
@mlundy57 Thankyou i could not remember what they were called. Sometimes in the past I have been ham-fisted and overtightened  :duh:

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #19 on: 9 Jul 2021, 02:40 am »
Yep, Someone was banging on my door, and Yes!
A shipment from GRR

Everything was packed very well. All the components look and feel high end.
I am very happy puppy.
Now for the flat pack to show up.