Beacon Two 6SN7 Tube Stereo Preamp Audition. Try our best preamp!

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
Blair - Got the pm.

What type of power cord will be on the demo unit?

Two tubes, or 3 like the unit you built for another user?

Mariusz

No tube rectification?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
This preamp will come with a standard IEC power cord and will have solid state rectification PLUS an external DC filament power supply.

dangerbird

Blair,, if you were building this pre for yourself,,would you go with tubed or ss rectification,,not trying to ask an unfair question,,but you seem to be the best/most knowledgable one to ask,,for me,,I kinda'  like a lush tubey sound,, but my main concern is soundstage,,and IIRC,,I read somewhere that this pre has a HUGE soundstage,,hope I have not muddied up the waters.  :duh:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
There are several features of this preamp which make it perform as it does:

One of them:

The power supply is split. Filaments are ran off of an external regulated 12v unit. High voltage is obtained from a double isolated rectifier, be that tube or solid state. The audio circuit does not see the rectifier stage. Therefore, it does not matter from a sonic perspective whether a tube or solid state rectifier assembly is used. The rectifier appears miles away electrically to the audio circuits. Is this good? Yes! It equates to consistent performance of the power supply section no matter what is used for a rectifier.

The wide sound stage is due in part to the relaxed nature in which the tubes are used. It is a zero stress circuit that allows the tube to perform well within its parameters. There is a considerable amount of current available to them as well for transients, which equates to a very fast, accurate response.  You can wrap your hand around the tubes even after an hour of operation without getting singed. A side perk: The tubes will last a long, long time. The prototype has been using a pair of old tubes at about 70% health for almost a year and it's been left on almost 24/7.

Questions are always welcome!

Mariusz

Blair
are you saying that there is no difference between SS and tube ractification?

I have read somewhere :
"Tube rectifiers provide a slowly increasing DC voltage to the output tube plates as the rectifier warms up. This has an amazing beneficial effect on the output tubes - it minimizes a phenomenon called cathode stripping. This phenomenon occurs with solid state rectification."

and

"In listening tests, I have found that solid state rectified tube amplifiers have certain characteristics of solid state amps - quick response time and more edge. In contrast, tube rectified amps are slower in nature and less sharp in sound. The music from these amps is more round and mellow. Solid state rectified tube amps are agressive in nature whereas tube rectified amplifiers are laid back. In general, I find solid state rectified tube amps to be excellent for rock 'n roll. Tube rectified amps are really good for classical music."

what is your take on that?

Mariusz

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
What you are describing only applies to trends regarding loaded rectifiers. The Beacon Two does not substantially load a power supply enough to provide any sonic modifications from the rectifier, whatever it may be. The effects which you quoted do not apply. That's a great quality of the Beacon Two: Guaranteed power supply performance.

Something I wrote about tube and solid state rectification:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79922.0

Blair
are you saying that there is no difference between SS and tube ractification?

I have read somewhere :
"Tube rectifiers provide a slowly increasing DC voltage to the output tube plates as the rectifier warms up. This has an amazing beneficial effect on the output tubes - it minimizes a phenomenon called cathode stripping. This phenomenon occurs with solid state rectification."

and

"In listening tests, I have found that solid state rectified tube amplifiers have certain characteristics of solid state amps - quick response time and more edge. In contrast, tube rectified amps are slower in nature and less sharp in sound. The music from these amps is more round and mellow. Solid state rectified tube amps are agressive in nature whereas tube rectified amplifiers are laid back. In general, I find solid state rectified tube amps to be excellent for rock 'n roll. Tube rectified amps are really good for classical music."

what is your take on that?

Mariusz

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
It will be a two tube unit. The extra tube you saw was for a tube rectifier.

Blair - Got the pm.

What type of power cord will be on the demo unit?

Two tubes, or 3 like the unit you built for another user?

Mariusz

OK Blair but why offer an option of tube ractification then?

Mariusz :wink:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
It's one more user-serviceable part. That makes it worth while. I wouldn't worry too much about the diodes breaking though. The Beacon Two gets the same massive barrel diodes the NS-60 uses.

OK Blair but why offer an option of tube ractification then?

Mariusz :wink:

dangerbird

hmmm,, just read the posts above,, OK,, that makes sense about loading a power supply. With this particular pre,would there be any audible difference with tube rectification? LOL maybe we are getting too hung up on rectifiers. I cannot wait to get this pre in my rig,,seperate power supply for the tubes eh? Pretty cool.

So if I undersrand you correctly,, a pair of tubes in this baby should last a looooong time. Pretty smart build there sir. :thumb:

JakeJ

hmmm,, just read the posts above,, OK,, that makes sense about loading a power supply. With this particular pre,would there be any audible difference with tube rectification? LOL maybe we are getting too hung up on rectifiers. I cannot wait to get this pre in my rig,,seperate power supply for the tubes eh? Pretty cool.

So if I undersrand you correctly,, a pair of tubes in this baby should last a looooong time. Pretty smart build there sir. :thumb:

+1  :thumb:

I'm excited to try this as I haven't listened to any products from ID mfrs yet.

Blair, could you post a list of participants so we may see if one of us hasn't made it?  Just curious because I have not received a confirmation yet.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Participants:

Dangerbird
Mariusz
JakeJ
Etcarroll
MaxCast
Ericus Rex
Bemopti

If you can get a group of people to come over and listen, as some said, that would be great!
I haven't made the order in which the pre will ship yet.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
To me, not any difference what so ever between rectifiers. The tubes will last an extremely long time. Heat damages tubes. If heat doesn't do it, then the cathode usually wears out or it's gas. Since heat usually helps cause the other two failures listed, and this preamp makes hardly any, the tubes will have a very long life.

dangerbird

Mr.Blair,, I've been following your posts and gear for sometime,,I really like your approach,now,, never having met you,may I ask,,How long have you being doing this? Reason is,, you appear to have the same philosphy about tubes and their longevity (thats a good thing) as Bob Carver does. When asked about his newest tube amps his reply to the tube compliment,, "they should last 18-20 years".Anyway,,you certainly appear to know your craft,,thank you for allowing me the opportunity to audition this pre-amp.The anticipation is building. :eyebrows:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Electronics began as a hobby in grade school and evolved into the present commercial occupation.
More information: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/about-us

My design philosophy has always been based on efficiency. Through efficiency comes performance. You will see it in my reduced component circuits, how long components last and how good something sounds. You will never see me dump the efficiency standard. It is possible to make something sound good and it not be efficient, but that is not the way I do things. Why make sacrifices?

To sum things up: Electronic components work best when not pushed. It is still possible for them to work up to their full potential without damage if the circuit is made correctly. For example, I can get 50 watts out of a pair of 1939 6L6 metal tubes. It doesn't hurt them a bit and they operate cool. The Beacon Two can run old 6SN7's indefinitely because it's so gentle with tubes.

To those who do not like tube gear due to constantly changing tubes: It doesn't have to be that way.

Mr.Blair,, I've been following your posts and gear for sometime,,I really like your approach,now,, never having met you,may I ask,,How long have you being doing this? Reason is,, you appear to have the same philosphy about tubes and their longevity (thats a good thing) as Bob Carver does. When asked about his newest tube amps his reply to the tube compliment,, "they should last 18-20 years".Anyway,,you certainly appear to know your craft,,thank you for allowing me the opportunity to audition this pre-amp.The anticipation is building. :eyebrows:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Due to a LARGE influx of orders & work in both businesses, the preamp should be ready the second week of May. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

JakeJ

Hi Blair,

Hey, that's a good thing, keep up the good work and let us know when you're ready.

Take Care,
Jake

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
That's fine, I didn't want to see it till the 13th.

Of course, I'd definatly like to put in a request to get it 5/13 - 5/17, as wife is in FLA visiting her mom, so I can really put it through it's paces.  :thumb:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
I'll see what I can do. The shop is full now! Actually, both shops are. A little R&D was put in the middle of the orders- the new anti-resonant case. A NS-30SE (Special Edition) is being placed in it WITH a new capacitor package, DC filaments and the 1940's power supply upgrade.  :drool:

One of the neatest features: I am using 125 year old American Chestnut for the trim package! Talk about rare...