Next SoCal Listening Session

Jon L

« on: 15 Jan 2005, 01:12 am »
Since our last "session" didn't materialize, let's throw around some ideas for the next session since Mad Dog should be back from CES by now :)

I was just informed I'm next in line for SAS Labs 10a tubed preamp, so it should be here soon.  Would love to compare a good tubed pre like this to Placette Active and my EVS Ultimate attenuators.

I also FINALLY figured out how to properly set up my Audio PC with Lynx card.  I still have Empirical Audio modded USB-->SPDIF box, which should work very well with Mad Dog's new Dodson DAC.

I know Shokunin is getting in a demo pair of TG Audio High Purity IC, which I need to hear, especially in comparison to Cryotweaks silver CT IC.

Of course, there's VMPS RM/x's we all need to hear also..

So what say you, fellow SoCal audiofools?

Mad DOg

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2005, 08:19 am »
i talked to shokunin and he's waiting on the TG cables...the window for the TG cables might be pretty narrow though...

i've also got the VH Audio ICs that we can compare as well.

also got another PC to throw into the mix...the Revelation Audio Labs double Precept PC...:)

shokunin

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2005, 12:35 am »
The Tg Audio High Purity HSR Interconnects are still being burned in by the dealer, these were used at CES but Crump did not have enough time to fully burn them in as he usually does.  Soo... it probably won't be here til some time next week.  I have on loan some HSR speaker cables that I'll have to return soon, but not until I try the TG High Purity along with it.  Like all of Crump's cords, they image really well and are very balanced from top to bottom with just a tad leaness in the lowest octaves.  

I'll probably only have the High Purity for a week or two at most before I make a decision to order a pair or not.   Let me know when you guys want to do another session.  This is fiscal year end for me, so it's gonna be pretty hectic.

KeithR

Mid-late Feb
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2005, 04:44 am »
I think I am finally ready to host a session in mid-late february if folks are interested.

I should have a BAT 51SE-->BAT VK75SE-->Wilson Sophias  (BAT stuff will be ordered end of this week).  Also thinking of picking up a Benchmark to add to my 3910 for redbook.

Any interest?  I live in Beverly Hills. (no, not one of THOSE houses!)

If there are weekends that work best, please let me know.

Cheers,

KeithR

jswallac

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2005, 05:04 am »
I would be interested, even if it isn't one of "those" houses.  I can bring an Ack! dack! to throw into the mix.

John Casler

Re: Mid-late Feb
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2005, 07:00 pm »
Quote from: KeithR
I think I am finally ready to host a session in mid-late february if folks are interested.

I should have a BAT 51SE-->BAT VK75SE-->Wilson Sophias  (BAT stuff will be ordered end of this week).  Also thinking of picking up a Benchmark to add to my 3910 for redbook.

Any interest?  I live in Beverly Hills. (no, not one of THOSE houses!)

If there are weekends that work best, please let me know.

Cheers,

KeithR

Hey Keith,

Somehow I missed this.  I'm certainly interested in hearing the Wilsons.

My weekends are rather flexible, but Feb 20th is the LAOCAS meeting in Hollywood and I might be having 2-3 over to my place for a VMPS hook up before that meet (around 10:30am if your up).

Your welcome to stop in.

KeithR

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jan 2005, 12:28 am »
I think the following weekend of the 26th probably works best then John.

I think it will take 2 weeks to get the BAT gear hear at least, then want to burn it in for a few hundred hours before folks come over :)

I opted to keep my integrated for awhile longer for preamp duty, as I consider other preamps (dealer raving about the new Levinson, and they will compare it on the BAT tube amp soon).  No hurry, but the 51SE isn't chump change so want to be 100% if I get it.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jan 2005, 08:54 am »
Ooh, Wilsons.  And Ack.  Depending on my schedule, I would be interested in showing up.  I should probably have a diy based dac to compare to the ack b then (I hope.)  It's also NOS and battery powered.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jan 2005, 07:38 pm »
Quote from: KeithR
I think the following weekend of the 26th probably works best then John.

I think it will take 2 weeks to get the BAT gear hear at least, then want to burn it in for a few hundred hours before folks come over :)

I opted to keep my integrated for awhile longer for preamp duty, as I consider other preamps (dealer raving about the new Levinson, and they will compare it on the BAT tube amp soon).  No hurry, but the 51SE isn't chump change so want to be 100% if I get it.

Feb 26th/27th works for me :wink:

jswallac

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2005, 11:48 pm »
The 27th works for me.

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: 26 Jan 2005, 04:15 am »
Alrighty folks.  That weekend is looking good.  Will keep you posted as it comes nearer (it all depends on my gears getting here!)

Hajime Sato

« Reply #11 on: 3 Feb 2005, 10:59 pm »
Hello! This is my first post at AudioCircle. I'm a member of the LA&OC Audio Society so I've met some of you, but I didn't know about this thread until today. (Thanks jswallac!)

KeithR, can I join you at the listening session you're planning? I'm relatively new to this hobby but getting into it deeper every day. :)

rlcordeiro

Hi
« Reply #12 on: 6 Feb 2005, 03:15 pm »
Guys,
Shauk & myself spent an enjoyable evening with John Casler last evening.
His system is the best I, in my limited experience, have ever heard. The push pull subs have got the bass kicking. Now I have to save for a couple of largers and a UDP-1.
SoCal is really slow we havent had a listening session for a long time. MadDog you need to move things along. I guess everyone is waiting for you to say something. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Mad DOg

« Reply #13 on: 6 Feb 2005, 07:26 pm »
Sounds like u guys had a great time at John's place. sorry i couldn't make it...

yeah, it's been slow around here...partially because i've been extremely busy...partially because i haven't had any new gear that would interest anyone...

all that is about to change soon...

John Casler

Re: Hi
« Reply #14 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:06 am »
Quote from: rlcordeiro
Guys,
Shauk & myself spent an enjoyable evening with John Casler last evening.
His system is the best I, in my limited experience, have ever heard. The push pull subs have got the bass kicking. Now I have to save for a couple of largers and a UDP-1.
SoCal is really slow we havent had a listening session for a long time. MadDog you need to move things along. I guess everyone is waiting for you to say something. Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks Ranjit,

Always fun to have you guys over.

Looks like next week is tha LAAOCAS meet and the following weekend is Keith's Wilson/BAT set up.

Cool!! :mrgreen:

Mad DOg

« Reply #15 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:42 am »
Quote from: John Casler
Looks like next week is tha LAAOCAS meet...

the LAOCAS meeting at Classic Records is on Feb. 20th, not the 13th which is next week.

Mad DOg

« Reply #16 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:43 am »
SoCal is really slow we havent had a listening session for a long time.

actually come to think about it, i've had plenty of sessions with some really cool gear lately!  :wink:

John Casler

« Reply #17 on: 7 Feb 2005, 03:53 am »
Quote from: Mad DOg
Quote from: John Casler
Looks like next week is tha LAAOCAS meet...

the LAOCAS meeting at Classic Records is on Feb. 20th, not the 13th which is next week.

Looks like I'm rushing things :nono:

rlcordeiro

« Reply #18 on: 7 Feb 2005, 05:42 am »
MD,
Thanks a lot for not letting us poor relatives know about the listening sessions. I will miss the LA&OC neeting as I am going to Vegas that weekend. If KeithR gets his gear ready soon we should meet for a listening session.
John,
I am now very unhappy with my system now after listening to yours. I guess I will need help fixing mine soon.

Mad DOg

« Reply #19 on: 7 Feb 2005, 02:36 pm »
MD,
Thanks a lot for not letting us poor relatives know about the listening sessions.

i've been the only one at my listening sessions lately!  :lol: