Salk Speaker Power Handling

Nuance

Re: Salk Speaker Power Handling
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:14 am »
... because I am transitioning to a computer-based system for digital music, and I listen to vinyl, too.  I wouldn't be surprised if CDP sales continue to nose-dive.

Smart man.  You'll never go back to a transport once you start streaming. 

jsalk

« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:12 pm »
One aspect of power handling that has not been mentioned yet (unless I missed it) is the demand placed on the woofer when asked to play very deep bass.  The deeper the bass, the more air that needs to be moved.  With respect to the W18, for example, there is only so much displacement available with a 7" woofer.  If there is a good deal of demand for very deep bass, the driver may  reach its XMAX and bottom out.

The bottom line is that, in the real world, SPL capability will be determined, in part, by the amount of deep bass in the program material and the displacement capability of the woofers.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 08:28 pm by jsalk »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #22 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:57 pm »
... because I am transitioning to a computer-based system for digital music, and I listen to vinyl, too.  I wouldn't be surprised if CDP sales continue to nose-dive.

Smart man.  You'll never go back to a transport once you start streaming.

I went w/o one and felt the need to "just" have one in case and I haven't even plugged it in to try it since buying it off of ebay 6 weeks ago!

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 20 Oct 2009, 08:11 pm »
If there is a good deal of demand for very deep bass, the driver may  reach its XMAX and bottom out.

The bottom line is that, in the real world, SPL capability will be determined, in part, by the amount of deep bass in the program material and the amount of displacement capability of the woofers.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

There is nothing like listening to bottoming out woofers.  :o Reminds me of the college frat parties. The poor Advent speakers.

Wayner  :lol: