Anyone hear the SP Technology Room and what were your thoughts!!!

mcullinan

I am wondering what they sounded like.
Mike

Cacophonix

I am wondering what they sounded like.
Mike

I wanted to listen to them, and spent quite sometime looking for these speakers as they were not listed in the brouchure. Finally i ran into Bob who directed me to the room. But by then it was too late ... the SPTech speakers were disconnected, and ryan had his prototype speakers hooked up.
SP Tech speakers sure looked real nice though  :thumb: :thumb:
I was told the mini is just a miniature version of the ones on display.

Double Ugly

First, lets be clear about the fact that it wasn't the SP Tech room.  Bob was graciously invited to bring his speakers and have them share the room with TurboFC3S's speakers, but it wasn't his room. 

As for how they sounded, not terribly good to be honest.  Suffice it to say I've heard them sound a lot better.

The get-together at Steve Chang's (reefrus) home Saturday night was a very different story, however.  I think (hope) Ted's post will be the first of several commenting on what was heard that evening. 

mcullinan

First, lets be clear about the fact that it wasn't the SP Tech room.  Bob was graciously invited to bring his speakers and have them share the room with TurboFC3S's speakers, but it wasn't his room. 

As for how they sounded, not terribly good to be honest.  Suffice it to say I've heard them sound a lot better.

The get-together at Steve Chang's (reefrus) home Saturday night was a very different story, however.  I think (hope) Ted's post will be the first of several commenting on what was heard that evening. 
What happened in your opinion? Was it the amps? Was something up with the speakers themselves? Were they not burned in enough?
I did read the Revelation listening party and it sounds like it was a big hit!
Mike

Double Ugly

The bass overwhelmed the room, and IMO the sound reinforced my previously-held belief that TacT gear isn't the ideal choice of electronics with even moderately revealing speakers.

Worth noting, too, is no room correction was applied to the SP Tech speakers.  As I understand it, the signal was passed straight through.

Bob had hoped to use the latest NuForce V2 amps, but a short at the end of one of his speaker cables blew two of them before he or anyone else knew what was happening.  Can't drive two speakers with a single monoblock.  :(

mcullinan

The bass overwhelmed the room, and IMO the sound reinforced my previously-held belief that TacT gear isn't the ideal choice of electronics with even moderately revealing speakers.

Worth noting, too, is no room correction was applied to the SP Tech speakers.  As I understand it, the signal was passed straight through.

Bob had hoped to use the latest NuForce V2 amps, but a short at the end of one of his speaker cables blew two of them before he or anyone else knew what was happening.  Can't drive two speakers with a single monoblock.  :(

Damn... that is a shame... I know how hard he worked, up for days getting everything ready. By no room correction do you mean bass traps and such.. or no preamp was used? Im not sure what ur saying.
Mike

ooheadsoo

The only reason to use TacT gear is for the dsp room correction.  In this case, the room correction part of the system wasn't used, I take it. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

Why use a TacT if you aren't going to engage room correction?

I also don't agree that TacT gear (especially if it is modified) can't be used in a good system.  However, I will save that for a different thread, at a different time.

Good seeing you Jim.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Additonally worth noting is that the speakers that were prominently displayed in that room were Ran's prototypes, and for good reason.  He and Chris (BPT) are trying to get that project off the ground.  It was nice of them to let Bob have some of the room, but they were placed outside Ryan's speakers and, therefore, not optimally at all. 

Net/net, SP Tech was supposed to be in another room but that changed at the last minute before the show (other threads have discussed that; not for this topic), and Chris and Ryan were nice enough to place the Continuums in their room for display purposes, if nothing else.  Bob hung around for questions and a number of us heard the REAL DEAL SP Tech genius at Steve's place.  I'm getting the City of Westlake to evaluate my music room's concrete slab so that I'm ready for the impact and dynamics.  :green:

topround

I had a conversation with Richard Vandersteen about how his room sounded in NY and in Colorado, basically saying that most people never heard what those speakers are capable of. He was a bit peeved at all audiophiles that think they can walk into a show and expect the best sound that is available from a hotel room. He is right, but many people form opinions over their first impression, we all do to some extent. I heard the 5A's set up by John Rutan and was floored, I was a grinning idiot...seriously.

I was going to comment on some of the rooms I heard, but figured, why bother, it's just my opinion and we all hear different...but
I went to the Sp Tech party at Steve's house ( Thanks Steve :thumb:)
It was the most amazing musical event for me yet, everyone their was floored, if Bob had a room at RMAF it would have been best of show. Yeah the MBL's sounded unbelievable but very very expensive, the SP tech stuff was equipment that is attainable by most people, not me, but if you really wanted it you could have it.
We listened to these speakers that had their drivers and crossovers updated the night before,
an amp that was I believe 5 days old and a preamp that was 3 days old, or something like that, nothing was really broken in, is my point.

My God, the best bass I ever heard, better than the MBL easily, we were listening at 96, 98 db's with no stress or discomfort at all, bass notes hit 108 db easily, it was just fun.

3 most memorable experiences

1) GMA Calypso in my friend Eric's house, mind blowing to say the least
2) Vandy 5A's by johnny rutan ,, Holy Sh*t WOW Perfection
3) SP TECH Revelations , If I had the money I would own them now!

Thank You :D

Karsten

At least it is good that SP got a bit of exposure at the RMAF and things went well at Steves.

I'm doing a show here in Denmark with the Revelations next month. The system going on display has been tweaked for some time now and I'm quite satisfied with the performance......( :drool:).....

I think it will be a lot of fun  :D

Karsten

WOR Radio

• Main Website
I heard that some of my demo material was used and received well. I am glad I had something for Steve to show! 

Cheers,

Bill R

Double Ugly

I heard that some of my demo material was used and received well.

That, my friend, is an understatement. 

Your original and remastered material was as good as I've ever heard.  Amazing clarity, tonality, dynamics... truly over the top stuff, Bill.  Makes me want to hire you to remaster virtually every recording I own!  :lol:

WOR Radio

• Main Website
I thank you for the compliment IIU.

Makes me want to hire you to remaster virtually every recording I own!

If a market were to open itself up for it, I would be happy to do so. Given the time it takes to do proper remastering and the materials, I don't know if their would be many takers. (but we can certainly hope)

Double Ugly

Why use a TacT if you aren't going to engage room correction?
I don't know.  Maybe they didn't have time.

I also don't agree that TacT gear (especially if it is modified) can't be used in a good system.  However, I will save that for a different thread, at a different time.
I believe I know your ears pretty well, and consequently I know the TacT gear in your system must've sounded pretty good or you wouldn't have used it for so long.  Still, I can only comment on what I hear, and what I heard in my system and what I heard in Denver was very similar.

For more, I agree (different time, different place).

Good seeing you Jim.
Same here, George.  Always a pleasure.

BTW, I didn't get your PM until 2am Monday morning.  I'd already left for Denver when you sent it.  :wink:

RodMCV

Hello to all I was able to meet at the RMAF,

Great to meet person to person; Lonewolf, Double Ugly, Ted B, Top Round and others.

First, a little back ground.
I was raised in a musical family; my mother a concert violinist pregnant with my twin sister and I inside.
Saturday night string quartets, (the musical luminaries of Albuquerque in the 50's and 60's)  visiting and performing with us kids in our PJ's.
I played the French Horn from 4th grade to present in one scope or other; Light Opera, Symphonic Wind ensemble, Brass Choir, small ensemble etc.
Won a full music scholarship on performance to start my education.
Freelance muscian through high school and into college.

Fast track to present.

I was at the RMAF '06 attending truly each room always returning to the MBL room as the remarkable sound.
This year I played the same test cut, a live Yellow Jacket cut off a Ridgestreet Audio review disc(Thanks Robert)(A very classy Guy with excellent product).
I played this cut in every room/ speaker of interest I experienced at 07'RMAF
Back to work
to be continued .........Rod 

topround

Hey Rod your'e teasing us :lol:

mcullinan

What happens next????
On As the speaker turns....
Mike

tdangelo

I had a conversation with Richard Vandersteen about how his room sounded in NY and in Colorado, basically saying that most people never heard what those speakers are capable of. He was a bit peeved at all audiophiles that think they can walk into a show and expect the best sound that is available from a hotel room. He is right, but many people form opinions over their first impression, we all do to some extent. I heard the 5A's set up by John Rutan and was floored, I was a grinning idiot...seriously.

I argee with you Mike.  I thought the 5A's sounded terrible!  I talked to one of the reps in the room and he agreed.  I visited the room on all 3 days and didn't like the sound - my wife didn't either.  I listened to my 5A's Monday and the hair on the back of my neck stood up ;) I don't think the Ayre gear was a good match with the 5A's.  BTW:  It was nice to meet you and your wife ;)

Tony

TomS

This year I played the same test cut, a live Yellow Jacket cut off a Ridgestreet Audio review disc(Thanks Robert)(A very classy Guy with excellent product).
I played this cut in every room/ speaker of interest I experienced at 07'RMAF
Back to work
to be continued .........Rod 

uh, oh.  People may get us confused.  I "borrowed" that same track from the RSAD disc and used it everywhere I went this weekend.  Several people said "what is that track - great demo!".  Leave it to Robert to find the good stuff :-)