$677 wifi music server or my minimalist C.A.P.S. v2.0 build

mhconley

My goal was to build a silent media server to wirelessly play high resolution (up to 24-bit/192kHz) FLAC files stored on my desktop PC direct to my DAC via WASAPI or ASIO and S/PDIF, not USB.  I took on building this server for the plain fun of it.  I’m a geek and I know it.  :)  This is a step by step guide on how I built the server for anyone interested…

First off, a BIG thanks to Chris Connaker for his work on Computer Audiophile without which this would not have been possible.

I am building this real time as I post and will split the build into three separate posts:
1.   Hardware
2.   Configuration & Software Install
3.   Use and Listening Impressions

Here we go…

Part I – Hardware
Parts list (Newegg, Amazon & eBay):
•   $150 - JetWay JNF96FL-525-LF Mobo Intel Atom CPU Combo
•   $110 - OCZ Petrol 128GB SSD
•   $68 - Wesena ITX2-S Case
•   $55 - G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-800 Memory
•   $51 - Sony BC-5600S Slimline Optical Disc Player & Bezel
•   $42 - Intel Ultimate N Mini PCI-E Card, Extension Bracket, Pigtail & Antenna
•   $24 - 2x8” SATA Cable & Slimline SATA Adapter
•   $20 - Habey PW-12V402 60W (12V/5A) Power Supply
•   $7 - 2-pin Digital Cable & Chassis Mount RCA (for S/PDIF)
•   $527 total

First off the Wesena ITX2 case is absolutely tiny (7.75” x 7.75” x 3”) and built like the proverbial tank, and I think it looks fantastic.  The supplied bracket has mounting holes to mount two 2.5” drives and one slimline optical disk drive.  It has convenient screw access holes to make assembly easy.

I installed the memory and the half-height mini-PCI-E wifi card with extension bracket on the mobo.

Then I snapped the I/O shield in the case...

and loaded the mobo in the case with 4 screws.

Did I mention I love how small this thing is?

The case has two mounting positions for 2.5” drives, one under the optical drive bracket/directly over the processor heat sink and one vertically on the side of the case.  I mounted the SSD vertically on the side of the case with 2 screws so that the heat rising off the Atom processor’s heat sink would not cook the drive.

Next I connected the front panel connector (power/LED) to the front panel and mobo.

I installed the optical disk drive on the mounting bracket with 4 screws.  I don’t have the drive bezel yet and it is required to use the case’s eject button so I’ll just use software eject until I get the bezel.  (It is the only part I had to source directly from China.)

I then added the RCA S/PDIF jack and the antenna mount to the case.  The case had a hole for a wireless antenna which I enlarged to ⅜” accept the RCA S/PDIF jack.  I drilled a new ¼” hole for the wifi antenna.  I am only using one but can add two more later if I find I don’t have enough wifi bandwidth for higher bit rate files.  I plan to use mgalusha’s FLAC -> Wav loader tool so that should not be an issue.  The aluminum case was easy to drill through and it looks like it came with the jack installed.  I plugged the antenna pigtail onto the wifi card and the 2-pin cable onto the mobo S/PDIF header.  The only soldering required on this build was soldering lead wires from a 2-pin digital cable onto the S/PDIF jack.

Next I plugged the SATA data and power cables into the mobo and SSD.

Then I installed the optical disk drive and mounting bracket into the case with 6 screws (2 into the top side of the vertical SSD, 2 into the bottom of the case and 2 into the internal side mounts), the SATA data and power cables onto the slimline adapter and the adapter onto the drive.

Have I mentioned I love how small this thing is?

Lastly on goes the top cover which is attached at the corners with embedded magnets.  (pretty neat)  Next post will be booting the system and installing software.

Martin

mhconley

Re: $677 wifi music server or my minimalist C.A.P.S. v2.0 build
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm »
Reserved for Part II - Configuration and Software Install.

Windows 7 installed and updated.  All drivers installed and updated.  My wifi issue turned out to be an incompatibility between the Ultimate-N card and my Motorola Modem/Gateway.  I need to get a new wifi card.  In the mean tiime I'm continuing configuration using a wired connection.  More to come...

Martin
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2012, 02:51 pm by mhconley »

mhconley

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:34 pm »
Reserved for Part III - Use and Listening Impressions...

Martin

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2012, 03:38 pm »
I really like that case also....Thanks for posting this, I may do one of these shortly and I do better with pictures...its a kid thing...LOL... :icon_lol:

Tam Lin

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2012, 07:59 am »
Very nice but please show some respect for the S/PDIF connection. At 192K the data rate is over 12MHz. The two wires between the mobo and the RCA should be twisted together and no longer than necessary. Ideally, the S/PDIF connection should be transformer coupled to provide galvanic isolation between the PC and the DAC. If none is present, add one.

Using the S/PDIF output from the mobo in a hi-rez, digital audio server is an unusual design choice. Why not use the audio out from the mobo? It all comes from the same codec.

toddbagwell

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm »
Very nice build!

I have tons of respect for small case builds! I've not tried anything smaller than m-ATX cases, BIG props for the small success!

good luck with the wifi issue, hopefully it isn't too much of a headache.

Can I assume that you didn't go with a USB to Spdif converter, as you planned on modding your case for the RCA input all along?

todd

mhconley

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2012, 02:00 pm »
I really like that case also....Thanks for posting this, I may do one of these shortly and I do better with pictures...its a kid thing...LOL... :icon_lol:

Thanks!  I have always found illustrated instructions much easier to follow.  :thumb:

Very nice but please show some respect for the S/PDIF connection. At 192K the data rate is over 12MHz. The two wires between the mobo and the RCA should be twisted together and no longer than necessary. Ideally, the S/PDIF connection should be transformer coupled to provide galvanic isolation between the PC and the DAC. If none is present, add one.

Using the S/PDIF output from the mobo in a hi-rez, digital audio server is an unusual design choice. Why not use the audio out from the mobo? It all comes from the same codec.

Since the original picture was taken I have tightly twisted the S/PDIF wires.  I chose to use the S/PDIF out for several reasons: to be different, everyone uses USB and I wanted to see what was possible with S/PDIF, and because I want to use an external DAC.

I have since run into an issue that will preclude 24/192 playback.  The Realtek ALC662 6-channel HD audio chip on this mobo only supports 24/96 playback.  To get 24/192 playback with Realtek HD audio you need one of their 8-channel chips.  :(

Very nice build!

I have tons of respect for small case builds! I've not tried anything smaller than m-ATX cases, BIG props for the small success!

good luck with the wifi issue, hopefully it isn't too much of a headache.

Can I assume that you didn't go with a USB to Spdif converter, as you planned on modding your case for the RCA input all along?

todd

Thanks!  Yes, I planned using an RCA S/PDIF out from day one.  I may play with USB via my Musiland Monitor 01 USD USB to S/PDIF converter, especially considering the shortcoming of the Realtek ALC662 chip.

Martin

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Mar 2012, 03:37 pm »
Nice illustrated build!

Very unusual decisions on wifi and S/PDIF, though.  One, wifi, is wrought with bandwidth and RF/EMI/noise risks, the other, S/PDIF, is a big jitter risk.  (As a main member and frequent contributor on CA I know Chris's CAPS V2 does SOtM USB for a reason...I have that card on my Linux box and love it)

Anyway, good luck and let us know how well the wi-fi works, especially once you go to 24/192 and beyond.   The build looks solid.

skunark

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:02 pm »
Killer build!

Might try it isolating the digital output from the chassis. 

Jim

Jon L

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:20 pm »
Nice illustrated build!

Very unusual decisions on wifi and S/PDIF, though.  One, wifi, is wrought with bandwidth and RF/EMI/noise risks, the other, S/PDIF, is a big jitter risk.  (As a main member and frequent contributor on CA I know Chris's CAPS V2 does SOtM USB for a reason...I have that card on my Linux box and love it)

Anyway, good luck and let us know how well the wi-fi works, especially once you go to 24/192 and beyond.   The build looks solid.

If one is using asynchronous USB DAC's ("low jitter clock" on SOtM USB card should not benefit since asynch), and if the USB DAC does not use computer's USB bus for power (benefit of SOtM card's power filtration), why would one get better sound quality via SOtM over Mobo's USB output?  Has anyone compared SOtM usb to Mobo usb into asynch USB DAC that does not use power from USB cable? 

I ask because $300 is a lot of money for SOtM. 

Another direction I have been considering is buying a Dell or similar desktop while on sale cheap, as one can buy one with i5 or i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, decent case, then replace the fans to quiet ones, add your own USB/firewire/spdif card for audio use.   Has anyone tried something like that and can confirm these Dell/HP type desktops come with Mobo's with open PCI or PCI-e slots? 

skunark

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2012, 11:32 pm »
There's a thread around here that points to a review on the mac mini which claims the latest generation has about 10ps of jitter on the optical output.  If true, for $599, that's a pretty killer bargain and you pick your OS and you can't beat the optical isolation either and avoid all the usb fuss.

I believe this is the URL
http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/internet-audio/373-mac-mini-2011.html
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2012, 01:23 am by skunark »